VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: Solved. Please see my 2nd post, below.

I run Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Setup.exe. I try and change the Display. When I hit the Return key to change it, I am shown this error message - "Your system does not have sufficient memory available to complete Setup"

That's odd. This feature was working OK 20 minutes ago. I have changed Display several times. Perhaps I have exceeded a limit, and Windows 3.11 has become confused? I have tried rebooting, and also run scandisk to check for possible disk corruption. No joy. Any ideas please people?

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-04-09, 17:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you have tried the following, but just in case :

(Assuming nothing else was installed or removed, both hardware and drivers, and unaltered autoexec and config files)

1. Run setup from within Windows directory?

2. Switch off machine. Try again after sometime?

3. Try running with loadfix?

4. A very unlikely but possiblly missed virus?

5. Loose RAM?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 9, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

I have changed Display several times. Perhaps I have exceeded a limit, and Windows 3.11 has become confused? I have tried rebooting, and also run scandisk to check for possible disk corruption. No joy. Any ideas please people?

I experienced the same. You can try to manually remove all entries left by former display installations out of the win.ini and system.ini files.
Sometimes it helps, sometimes not... if the problem persists, you have to delete and reinstall windows. Maybe there is another solution... but that's what I do from time to time with my "test-machine".

Reply 4 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! I did the following at the DOS c:\ prompt -

1) cd c:\windows\system
2) dir *.inf
3) identify all of my old/previous installation .inf files. These were oem0.inf, oem1.inf, and oem2.inf. Also, there were other "oem" .inf files too.
4) rename these identifed files to oem0.old, oem1.old, and oem2.old, etc.
5) cd .. (to return to the c:\windows folder)
6) setup.exe
7) attempt to change the video display. That worked! I can now change the video display.

My guess is that Windows 3.11 "ran out of room" to "hold on to" all of the different video cards and resolutions contained inside all of these .inf files.

Reply 5 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah! I missed the clue "I have changed Display several times." 😀

Great solution. Will keep that in mind when I face a similar error.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the same problem several years ago already and found out that there is a known bug with the dos setup of win 3.1.
That is, if you have too many choices for graphics cards, the setup will ever crash with showing garbage on the screen or give a error message like you had.

The limit before this happens is rather low and the bug can already appear with a second additional driver.
(Especially cards with a lot of different modes fill up the list fast)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I know it's almost two months late but if I had seen this at the time I could have helped 😀
in my Dosbox guide I mention this as #1 problem in the troubleshooting section Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

- to change graphics drivers, I'd advice exiting Windows 3.x and then change directory to the Windows directory (cd windows) and run setup.exe.
But beware! Windows 3.x doesn't like it when you change drivers too often and then Setup crashes when you want to load other video drivers. In this case, got the Windows 3.x system directory (\windows\system) and get rid of the "oemX.inf" files (for example "oem0.inf" or "oem1.inf") you don't need.

😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper