VOGONS

Common searches

Quicktime in Windows 3.1

Topic actions

First post, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I'm running Windows 3.1 with DOSBox 0.74. I haven't really installed anything beyond what 3.1 comes with normally. (So there's still no sound.)

When I try to install Quicktime (so I can play Myst) it doesn't work. I tried installing the link from here: (http://www.gaby.de/win3x/esoft.htm), but that didn't work, either.

Am I missing a step?

Reply 1 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Doesn't work is a broad term. Be more precise.
Maybe install sound blaster drivers first.

Also this is a dosbox topic, so next time, write this in the dosbox forum.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 54, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured since it's technically running Windows 3.1, it'd be okay to post this here. If the mods feel it would work better under the dosbox forum, feel free to move it.

Okay, by "doesn't work", I mean the install seems to go well, but when I hit the "play sample" button, I get an error message saying "The install program was unable to call the movie player" and then another message saying that the installation has not been completed. If I try to run the movie player, I get a message saying that one of the library files is damaged.

A quicktime logo does appear on the Control Panel, but when I click on it, the driver window (I don't know the technical term for it) comes up, but it says it's not installed. When I go to the Drivers control panel and click on [MCI] Quicktime for Windows, I get an error that says "Cannot load the [MCI] QuickTime for Windows Driver. The driver file may be missing." Trying to reinstall Quicktime doesn't help.

I'll see if installing the sound blaster drivers works. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply 3 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, a mod WILL move it at some point. All things dosbox go into the dosbox forum. This forum is for getting old windows games working on new Windows OS'.

Definitely first try with sound drivers installed. I never tried quicktime without sb drivers so that might really be the culprit...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 54, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The order I go by is SoundBlaster, S3 Driver, then QuickTime.
If a game has a specific version of QuickTime it installs try that first. It may not like the higher version.
Here's another link in case it's useful.
http://www.oldversion.com/download_QuickTime_2.1.2.html

Reply 6 of 54, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The video driver won't install. I'm trying to follow the steps I found here for getting 3.1 to work with Dosbox, but for some reason, when I type "setup" under the windows directory after 3.1 has already been installed, I get the installation setup instead of the one being displayed.

Reply 7 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This only happens if you don't do it from the windows folder normally. Anyway you can do it from within windows as well.

Reply 8 of 54, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I got the video driver to install. It seems to be working. I also got the sound to work.

But I'm still having the same problem with quicktime. Either I'm not doing it right, or the drivers aren't the culprit.

Reply 10 of 54, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you get tired of this, you might want to know that GOG.com has a version of Myst for a reasonable price that should run on any modern system.

Riverwolf wrote:

But I'm still having the same problem with quicktime. Either I'm not doing it right, or the drivers aren't the culprit.

Did you reinstall Quicktime after installing the video drivers? Or try starting over from a fresh Windows install and then installing SoundBlaster, S3 Driver, then QuickTime in that order?

Reply 12 of 54, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Riverwolf wrote:

I shall try.

I'm aware of GOG's version of Myst, but that's how broke I am; I can't even afford that.

🤣 stand near a computer faculty with a sign begging for some money so you can buy Myst 🤣

Reply 13 of 54, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Or try starting over from a fresh Windows install and then installing SoundBlaster, S3 Driver, then QuickTime in that order?

Okay, I tried this, and quicktime still isn't working(by which I mean, I'm getting the same messages and problems.) The game itself plays okay, but the videos don't play when they're supposed to.

Reply 14 of 54, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still haven't gotten quicktime to work. Even when I reinstall 3.1 and the drivers in the order that was recommended, quicktime still refuses to fully install, I still have the same problems that I mentioned before. Either I'm not installing the drivers correctly, or perhaps my DOSBox configuration is the culprit? If so, I have no idea where I'd change it.

Reply 15 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What version of quicktime, btw? Version number please, not the download location.
There are other Quicktime threads which mention some version as being good.

Reply 17 of 54, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Verify that QuickTime for Windows was installed correctly. A sure way to tell would be to open your control panels and look for a control panel named "QuickTime 32". If the control panel is not there, then you have not installed QuickTime by double-clicking on QT32INST.EXE. If the control panel is there, take the opportunity to click the "Verify Setup" button to make sure all the files are installed properly.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 18 of 54, by Riverwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

Verify that QuickTime for Windows was installed correctly. A sure way to tell would be to open your control panels and look for a control panel named "QuickTime 32". If the control panel is not there, then you have not installed QuickTime by double-clicking on QT32INST.EXE. If the control panel is there, take the opportunity to click the "Verify Setup" button to make sure all the files are installed properly.

When I click on qt32inst.exe from the Myst disk, it just goes black for a moment, temporarily flashes with some broken reds, goes black again, and then goes back to the File Manager.

Why would the 32 version work, anyway? Isn't Windows 3.1 16 bit?

Reply 19 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, windows 3.1 is 16bit, but install Win32s for being able to install some 32bit stuff.