VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

new versions of ffdshow refuses to install on my k6-2+, saying it requires a i686 cpu. what's the last version that can install on p5 rigs then?

and any other video codecs i can use?

Reply 3 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure why exactly you want to play videos on such an old machine, but if that's all you want to do, you should look at Geexbox:
http://www.geexbox.org/

Reply 4 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I want to hear what you manage to play. I tried making a K6-III divx box years ago and it failed miserably. 😉

yeah you are right man, the performance is terrible. i'll try using a radeon card instead and see if it could improve a bit.

Reply 5 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if it's ever going to play divx well but you should try a variety of decoders. Xvid, Divx, ffdshow. Older versions of some may be best.

DVD should be playable in software though as it's less demanding. Might still want to dig up an old PowerDVD because they were very optimized. A Radeon will offload most MPEG2 decoding if you use a decoder that supports DXVA.

Reply 6 of 16, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last available build which declare compatibility with i586 family cpus is rev1936
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryou … id.exe/download
Old Thrashbarg is right, really last (on the assumption of changelog) ) is rev1940 but it is nowhere in the net.

Some time ago i trying to use rev1943 on K6-III+ with no luck. It installs ok but crashes players.
rev1936 works ok on it.

Reply 7 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be interesting to try comparing FFDSHOW with and without its 3DNow and MMX support enabled. I've been wondering how much they tuned for K6 chips.

But if it can't play ~480p DIVX/XVID/etc then maybe there's no point in bothering. Software MPEG1/2 playback is uninteresting when so many video cards accelerate it, and there's no chance of H.264/VC-1 playback.

Reply 8 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Software MPEG1/2 playback is uninteresting when so many video cards accelerate it.

yeah but what player should i use to utilize hardware playback? i've been using ffdshow for a long time because cpu has rarely been such a problem.

Reply 9 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first choice would be PowerDVD or WinDVD. A version of either that will work on 98SE and uses DXVA. PowerDVD 3 or 4 maybe.

Otherwise, if you are on XP, you can find a codec pack that has the Cyberlink MPEG2 decoder. This does DXVA decoding.

There is also the possibility of finding the old ATI DVD Player. I'm not sure where to get it though and I've never used it.

Reply 10 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something I found with DVD playback software is that with new versions, the hardware requirements increase for some reason.

So on a slow maching, get one of the earlier versions and hopefully it plays all your discs.

Regarding ffdshow, on my netbook I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema because it uses even less CPU. Not sure how ffdshow is configured though, it was part of a codec pack (Sharky).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah that's why I suggest one of the old PowerDVD or WinDVD versions that work on 98SE. They will be more tailored to old hardware. The ATI DVD Player is a rebranded Cinemaster player (I think) and old as well.

On XP, a codec pack with the Cyberlink MPEG2 decoder and Media Player Classic set for overlay output is about as low usage as you can get. MPC and ffdshow themselves do not have MPEG2 DXVA support so you need the Cyberlink decoder.

Reply 13 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
swaaye wrote:

MPC and ffdshow themselves do not have MPEG2 DXVA support

Didn't ffdshow just get that recently?

It appears to be only H.264 and VC1. I have yet to see a DXVA MPEG2 codec from an open source project. Media Player Classic Homecinema has internal DXVA support for both VC-1 and H.264 as well.

Quite the list of DXVA software over here. I didn't realize so many projects have been working on it. I typically just use FFDSHOW and MPCHC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration

BTW, Windows Vista and 7 have a DXVA MPEG2 codec included. Win7 may also support VC-1 and H.264.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Filename
    Clipboard01.png
    File size
    28.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win7 may also support VC-1 and H.264.

Yep, it does. As a matter of fact, you can set MPC-HC to use it by going to the 'external filters' menu and adding the MS 'DTV DVD Video Decoder', then disabling MPC-HC's internal H.264, VC-1, and MPEG2 DXVA codecs. I found that it works better than the MPC-HC MPEG2 decoder, especially for interlaced stuff, but it doesn't really gain you anything for the other two formats so you may as well leave MPC-HC to take care of those on its own.

Reply 15 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

There is also the possibility of finding the old ATI DVD Player. I'm not sure where to get it though and I've never used it.

Ive got it 😉
version 127 from xpert@play gfx card
8mb if anyone wants it

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 16 of 16, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cyrix 6x86MX/MII have i686 instructions. Just my 2cts.
(Probably not useful in this case since they won't approach the performance of a K6-2+.)

I remember when I ran a 6x86MX with Linux I used -march=i686 to compile the kernel. I had to change that when I upgraded to a K6-2.