VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few general questions about how to setup L2 cache on socket 3/5 motherboards.

Let's say that you want 1024 Kbytes of L2 cache on your motherboard. You will have 2 banks (8 cache chips, 32 pins per chip) of 128Kbit x 8 x 8 chips = 1024 Kbytes. Let's assume that those 8 chips are all 15 ns.

You now need a TAG RAM chip that is 64Kbit x 8, or 512 Kbit (32-pin DIP). I recall reading that the TAG RAM chip needs to be faster than the actual cache for caching to work properly.

But wait, there are no 32-DIP 512Kbit (64Kx8) SRAM's that are faster than 15 ns. There are 32-DIP 1024Kbit and 256Kbit chips that go to 12 ns, but not single 32-DIP 512Kbit chip from any company, past or present, that I can find. What is one to do? Put in a thousand dollar order to make a custom SOJ-to-DOP converter just to get 12 ns TAG RAM? Is it really necessary to have the TAG RAM faster than the cache? Does the motherboard BIOS have a way to add cache latency to correct for this concurrent speed problem?

If it is really necessary for the TAG to be faster than the cache, the only other option is to use 20 ns L2 cache and a 15 ns TAG RAM. Another possibility might be to use a 1024 Kbit (128Kx8) TAG RAM at 12 ns. Will using a 1024 Kbit TAG RAM when a 512 Kbit TAG RAM is called for enable proper operation?

Does anyone have a part number for 12 ns, 32-DIP 512 Kbit (64Kx8) SRAM? The most logical to me would be, IS61C512-12N or W24512AK-12, however I do not think these exist.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why does tag ram have to be faster?

Same speed should suffice.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why does tag ram have to be faster?

It doesn't... not in the way that feipoa is thinking. The misunderstanding is that, yes, the TAG does typically need to be a little faster than the cache chips, but all that means is, if you have a 15ns TAG and 15ns cache, you probably won't be able to take full advantage of the 15ns speed of the cache chips... they'll have to be run slightly slower. It'll still work fine. The TAG chip can even have a slower rating than the cache, as long as you add some wait states to account for it.

Reply 3 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I blindly took this assumption from here,
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/cache/funcTag-c.html

Last line of the page reads, "This means that no matter how fast the cache data store is, the tag RAM must be slightly faster."

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the above sentence?

Reply 4 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes and no, what it says is indeed true, but you're sort of misinterpreting it.

If your TAG chip can only allow 'X' ns operation, then your cache can only operate, at best, at maybe 'X+1' or 'X+2' ns... accounting for however many additional clock cycles are required for the cache controller to lookup the data it finds from the index in the TAG. So with a 15ns TAG, your cache accesses can't be any faster than 16 or 17ns, regardless of the speed rating of the cache chips. You can still use 15ns, or even 12ns rated cache chips in such a situation, you just won't be able to run them any faster than 16 or 17ns. It basically amounts to underclocking the cache chips.

Reply 5 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't mean to ask the same question twice up there, I was responding to Tetrium when your post crossed mine.

Ok, that makes sense. There is an intermediary with timing control. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

There is still an open question that maybe you also have some foresight to. Will using a 1024 Kbit TAG RAM when a 512 Kbit TAG RAM is called for enable proper operation?

Reply 6 of 10, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Above discussion encouraged me to test 12 ns and 15ns tag ram on GA-5486AL motherboard.

I have used following bios settings:
EDO,60ns DRAM or 40MHz CLK: Disable
DRAM Read Timing:Fastest
DRAM Write Timing:Fastest
SRAM Read Timing:2-1-1-1

Motherboard bios is dated to May 20 1996 (Rev. 1.07).

Cache chips:
12ns tag ram:"W24129AK-12"
15ns tag ram: "W24129AK-15"
15ns cache modules:4 x "UM61512AK-15"

##################################
TEST ->cachechk16
PROCESSOR ->am5x86 133MHz

*12ns TAG* | *15ns TAG*
L1 137,4MB/s | 137,4MB/s
L2 60,8MB/s | 60,8MB/s
RAM 45,5MB | 45,5MB/s

##################################
TEST ->cachechk16
PROCESSOR ->am5x86@160MHzMHz

*12ns TAG* | *15ns TAG*
L1 164,8 MB/s | 164,8MB/s
L2 72,8 MB/s | 72,8MB/s
RAM 54,5 MB | 54,5MB/s

I haven't noted any stability issues during test. As you can see there are no adventages from using 12ns tag ram on this motherboard. Maybe problems would arise if cache chips were more overclocked but unfortunately 40MHz is the fastest available FSB on GA-5486AL.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Old Thrashbarg basically said it all 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the difference between 15/15 and 12/15 is sub-nanosecond, smaller than what cachechk can detect? Or maybe the test script is so small that it resides entirely in the L1 cache and on-chip registers? Try it with 12/12 TAG/Cache and see if the values change at all -- that may be the real test. I don't generally trust just one test program.

Reply 9 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As you can see there are no adventages from using 12ns tag ram on this motherboard.

That's another thing... 12ns, 15ns, whatever, that's just the rating of the chip. Often they can be run faster, or with tighter timings, than the official specs would indicate. And since most motherboards will only allow so much adjustment of the timings, and only so much bus speed, it's not uncommon to run into cases where using faster SRAMs doesn't provide any functional benefit.

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

feipoa, If you have a Pentium 133 and a Pentium 100, and first benchmark the Pentium 100 @ 100Mhz, then run the Pentium 133 @ 100Mhz, they will run the exact same speed 😉

133 is just the maximum rated speed. Same thing with cache chips, it's their rated speed.

Report spammers here!