VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few days ago I got this card: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons … I601_Mozart.jpg

Then went looking for drivers (for DOS and Win3x) and found these: http://ftp.nchu.edu.tw/Hardware/multimedia/OAK/Mozart/

Then, having to choose between the first two files, I needed to find out what kind of OTI601 chip I have (B, E or F) - it seems to be F, according to this: http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … re/oak_oti.html

Then installed the drivers in the second file (it says "for OTI-601/E" at boot time though) and tested three games: Doom Shareware, Wolfenstein 3D and BOOM (with one of the WAD files on the Freedoom project site): http://www.teamtnt.com/boompubl/boom2.htm

The problem is that I cannot get the sound effects in BOOM to work (music is fine), no matter what sound driver I choose. Moreover, if I run BOOM first and then DOOM, I don't have sound effects in DOOM either. Wolf3D works just fine and it also "restores" sound effects in DOOM. I can also "restore" sound effects in DOOM if I run its setup first and change something minor (like the number of sounds/voices to be mixed simultaneously).

IIRC I found a comment somewhere here on vogons saying that the Mozart has serious compatibility issues and is to be avoided - is this my case too, or is there another, better, driver out there for me?

Reply 1 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used this one and it worked. This also supports the OPL4 version of this card.

Attachments

• Filename
    MZRTINST.ZIP
    File size
    299.84 KiB
    Downloads
    714 downloads
    File comment
    Mozart16 driver with OPL3/OPL4 support (OPL4 in Win3.x)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a potential "customer" for this card, but he wants all the sound cards he collects to work on WinXP - I found several references to a file named mozart16OTI601_NT.zip that's supposed to contain suitable drivers, but couldn't get the file itself - does anyone happen to have it?

Reply 3 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here, grab it 😊

Attachments

• Filename
    mozart16OTI601_NT.zip
    File size
    164.71 KiB
    Downloads
    424 downloads
    File license

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 8, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found the file online, but the readme says it is for Windows NT 3.51, nonetheless I will attach the file here.

EDIT: Damn, was too slow 😜

Attachments

• Filename
    mozart16OTI601_NT.zip
    File size
    164.71 KiB
    Downloads
    313 downloads
    File license

8zszli-6.png

Reply 5 of 8, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot for the fast answers - except for the User's Manual in PDF format the archive seems to contain the exact same files as some ntmozart.zip file I already had. Well, tomorrow I'll find out how useful these are for WinXP...

Reply 6 of 8, by soupapes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this sound card, I tried to install it in Windows98SE machine but it is not detected by windows.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-01-10, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

- IBM Aptiva 2176/P166/Matrox Millenium 4Mb/Voodoo1 4Mb/48Mb/8Gb+8Gb SD-IDE/SB16/Win98SE
- 486 DX2 66/CL-GD5424/32mb/HD 600mb/Mozart601/Dos6.22+Win3.11
- P166MMX/S3VirgeDx/96Mb/8Gb SD-IDE/SB16/Win98SE
- P4 3GHz/FX5700/2Gb/HD 80Gb+160Gb/Win XP

Reply 7 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess that is to be expected as it is not a PnP card.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 8, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got this card as something unusual for my 1995 build

I have strong feeling that OPL4 daughterboard is just a waveblaster connector split on two. Need to check.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300