VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What would a 15 pin connector on an ethernet card be used for? It's not the 15 pin like a video card would have, it's the longer two row 15 pin connector.

Reply 3 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It's an AUI port, for the old 'thicknet' standard... but you can also get transceivers to adapt it to 10Base-2 or 10Base-T.

I have AAUI on some old Macs. Is that the same?

Reply 5 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AUI connectors could be used to connect cards to "anything" using ethernet. I've seen AUI to 10-base-2, 10-base-5 and 10-base-T adapters, and I remember someone mentioning that it could be used to connect an ethernet card to optical fiber (but I haven't seen any adapter nor any documentation about it).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember someone mentioning that it could be used to connect an ethernet card to optical fiber (but I haven't seen any adapter nor any documentation about it).

Yeah, it did exist, but it wasn't very common. Fiber isn't used very often to go direct to desktop machines, and didn't really catch on so much until after things had moved more towards twisted-pair cabling... so most fiber transceivers have Cat5 jacks rather than AUI ports.

Reply 7 of 7, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i saw these in my garage and thought you would be
interested in seeing them and also reading the
install manual for one of them.

they are two examples of transceivers previously
mentioned.

I used them for sparcstation 1+ which i could photograph
if anyone is interested in that old box.

p1010596e.th.jpg

p1010598w.th.jpg

cya!