Common searches

Hurrah! - Found an AT case!

Topic actions

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a long search I finally found someone selling an AT case just over a week ago.

Downside was that it looked in fairly crappy condition - the case was yellowed and the inside was filthy. PSU was questionable too.

Upside was that it was quite obviously standard AT layout, had front mounted hdd and power led's in addition to an old school speed display in a neat little black display panel.

Anyway, it arrived yesterday and I thought I'd clean it up.... cue the bleach and anti-bacterial cleaner on the inside.... and a new paintjob inside and out!

P1020512.JPG

P1020513.JPG

P1020514.JPG

P1020515.JPG

P1020516.JPG

P1020517.JPG

The inside is all cleaned out and sprayed in flat white and rather than going the typical beige or black on the outside, I thought I'd pick something a little more striking. I think the blue looks rather cool with the black led panel inset - a little reminiscent of the original SGI Indigo:

iris_indigo.jpg

Need a few more bits and pieces until I can start putting my 286 project together - most important being a new ATX PSU and ATX-AT cable (none of the cards I'm using require -5v, so a standard ATX psu - preferably silent - should be fine), a set of plastic AT motherboard standoffs (different to ATX screw-in type). Then it should be all systems go!

Spec will be:

16MHz AMD 286
GW-286 baby-AT board
4 x 1Mb SIMM's
Cirrus Logic CL-GD528
Adaptec AHA1542 SCSI + IODATA SCSI-IDE bridge
WDC serial/parallel controller
Soundblaster 16
Roland MPU-IPC-T
5-1/4 drive bay IDE CF reader

I'm using the SCSI card because it supports disks up to a minimum of 8GB, and I had the SCSI-IDE bridge spare from an Amiga 1200 project.

I have one 8bit slot left and was originally contemplating a network card, but in all honesty I can't see the reason for one when I have the drive bay mounted CF reader.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheers mate! Even though dark blue isn't something I would do (but it depends on how bad the yellowing looks of course) the paintjob is fairly well done. It could use some extra paint where the U-cap and front panel meet though 😜
It looks very clean though, clean as new 😁

And one hint:The button of the PSU actually belongs to the case, not the PSU. Be sure to unscrew the button from the PSU cable before tossing it (if you decide to not keep the PSU that is) 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 30, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What did you use to paint it? Looks good as new inside, maybe a bit of touch up is required on the front. I've got a few old cases that could do with a paint job too. But my past experience with painting stuff hasn't been too good (you could say i'm artistically challenged)!

Reply 3 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep. Needs a little bit more paint on the edges where it hasn't covered quite as well - the power button was taken out because I plan to fit the ATX psu instead - what I'll do there is remove the latch mechanism from inside the AT power switch and turn it into a momentary type needed by ATX. On the front I took the square case badge off, so I'll need to get a replacement to go in its place.

Will also seal it with clear spray varnish - the paint (Plastikote 'flat navy blue' and 'flat white') isn't the toughest in the world.

Reply 5 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

You do not need a momentary switch when using the ATX/AT converter cable!

I know, I just wanted to mention to keep it instead of possibly tossing it with the PSU (like I did years ago ouchy 😜)

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 30, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This response was not for you.
megatron-uk wrote:
"...what I'll do there is remove the latch mechanism from inside the AT power switch and turn it into a momentary type needed by ATX."

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found someone on Ebay with a supply of AT motherboard standoffs (the ones that are used to slot into the motherboard tray). So I should be able to start to get this assembled pretty soon.

I'll strip and clean the AT PSU that came with the case first - it's pretty dirty, but cleaning things up can often make a world of difference 😀

Also have an old floppy drive to paint (well, just the bezel and eject button) and the blanking plates for the front of the case. Then that should be it!

Reply 9 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update! The case is finished - all the blanking panels, floppy drive and CF card reader bay have been painted blue to match the case. Some parts (floppy dust cover, eject button, case power button) have been painted black to match the LED insert panel and the CF reader.

I don't think it looks too bad!

CF drive bay reader and 5.25 to 3.5 sled:
P1020518.JPG
P1020519.JPG
P1020520.JPG

3.5 Floppy:

P1020521.JPG
P1020522.JPG
P1020523.JPG

Original AT power supply cleaned, fan checked and re-installed (actually pretty quiet!):

P1020524.JPG

SCSI to IDE bridge installed in IDE CF reader:
P1020529.JPG
P1020527.JPG

Completed case:
P1020532.JPG

I have to straighten the 5.25 to 3.5 sled - it twists slightly, as you can tell in the last image. The only other thing left to do is fit a new case badge - I'm a bit undecided what to put there!

Reply 10 of 30, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen lots of very similar cases around - different heights or fronts, but all with that same black control panel and all looking like they were made by the same manufacturuer. Does anyone know who made that case?

Reply 11 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:

The only other thing left to do is fit a new case badge - I'm a bit undecided what to put there!

Whats going to go in the case? If it's a 486, why not a nice crisp "Intel Tetrium Processor" badge? 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing so flash and fancy as a 486!... it's the original motherboard from my very first PC - a 16MHz AMD 286.

I don't think they make a '80286 Inside' badge 😁

Reply 16 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the motherboard spacers today and installed the board, wired up the front panel connectors and fired it up (no IO or sound right now, just a VGA card):

P1020536.JPG
P1020535.JPG

However, I've hit a problem..... ROM BIOS Checksum Error 🙁

Reply 18 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, this one has a display that does 199 as the highest. Cannot figure out how to get it to change when Turbo is disabled though - it always stays the same. The panel ha a 3 pin Turbo switch lead and the board only a 2 pin Turbo switch header so it might not be possible.

Reply 19 of 30, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually with those, the 3 pin header has the middle pin as ground, and you can connect it using either side wire. It just changes whether Turbo is on when the button is pushed in/circuit closed, or if turbo is on when the button is out/circuit open. Its just personal preference.

Can you show us a photo of the back of the turbo display?
The ones I've used have 3 jumpers for each individual segment - ON when turbo on, ON when turbo off, or COMMON (on regardless of turbo state)

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.