VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
Is there any special config needed to get 11th Hour running under dosdox? I've installed it fine and configured my sound and video but when I start go.bat it crashes dosbox.

Any help most appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Reply 3 of 14, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robbo007 wrote:

mount d /Volumes/11hdisk1 -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label 11hdisk1

I don't think all that is necessary. I image my discs and when playing a game that has more than 3 of them I like to use DAEMON Tools so here's what I use.

MOUNT C C:\DOS\GAMES
MOUNT D Z:\
C:
CD 11H
GO.BAT

I just checked with a default conf and changed the memsize to 32. I also changed the cycles to 40000 because the video seemed fast.

Reply 4 of 14, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few new things to report after playing around with the config.

If I change the video option in the dosbox.conf it complains about not having VESA VBE.

I only have the first disk mounted. Does it need all three mounted to load?

Thanks,
Rob

Reply 8 of 14, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, at least 16b color works fine for me, though I'm using the updated 2.42 beta version of 11th Hour...

"This new beta player for The 11th Hour improves performance on lower-end
machines. Because it is still beta, it is currently not supported by
Virgin or Trilobyte; however, we have made this beta available because it
does help to eliminate choppy audio on some systems.

This is a groovie(tm) compatible player which has been beta tested by
Trilobyte and fixes a number of issues in the original player for The
11th Hour. This is a beta release and is not officially supported.

This version of the player only supports 16-bit color."

http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=p … h242.zip&ref=ps

Just retried the version off the disk, and it works fine for me as well in any of the three available modes (i.e. 8b, 16b, 24b) /w .74.

Reply 9 of 14, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info. Strangely it works amazingly well if I use DosBox and DosBoxer front end (Under MAC OSX). I can run it at 24bit full screen video. Sound is not choppy. I will try this patch on my normal dosbox version to see the differences.

Thanks,
Rob

Reply 10 of 14, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robbo007 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Strangely it works amazingly well if I use DosBox and DosBoxer front end (Under MAC OSX). I can run it at 24bit full screen video. Sound is not choppy. I will try this patch on my normal dosbox version to see the differences.

Thanks,
Rob

Ah, yeah, Mac OS X version of DOSBox may be the issue. I have a feeling it doesn't get as much testing as the Windows version does.

Reply 11 of 14, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosBoxer is no longer in active development, it even has been removed from developer's site (JaegerTech.com). Because DosBoxer is outdated, it is most likely not compatible to current DOSBox versions. Try to use another one, most likely Boxer, see boxerapp.com for details.

DosBoxer was available for Windows as well.

Klimawandel.

Reply 12 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you have downloaded dosbox 0.74 some time ago, please download ot again as The OSX version was updated just over a week ago. On OS X 10.7 and above it crashed on going fullscreen because of an incompatibility of SDL with those OS X versions. Now that dosbox is compiled with a newer version of SDL it runs ok. If you use output=opengl it should be fine, too.

If you really need a frontend, try boxer, it has a nice gui. The downside is that every problem you have with boxer needs to be discussed with the boxer author and not the dosbox developers (here).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper