VOGONS

First post, by whitewell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently acquired this board in rev. 1.2. My intention is to use it with my AMD 5x86-P75.

The board came with BIOS revision 0203 - no 5x86 support, no PnP. Having destroyed 486 BIOSes before I was careful this time to find out exactly what sort of BIOS I had. After peeling back the Award label, it turned out to be an Intel P28F010 12v chip. I set JP32 and 33 accordingly.

I used flash.exe (an old version from Award) to flash the BIOS to version 0306, the latest version. There didn't seem to be any problem - POST was fine, 5x86 recognised with correct jumper setting, my AWE32 PnP also. Unfortunately I have been encountering the dreaded 'ERROR: Can't write ESCD' message since the flash. The board also suffers complete freezes at this point with no error message, usually on reboot or after I have made changes in the BIOS setup.

There were all kinds of interesting problems in Windows 95C, such as my Matrox Millennium II suffering resource conflicts - and after I changed the RAM timings in the BIOS from 'auto' settings to 2-1-1-1 Windows decided to redetect all of the hardware.

I tried reflashing the BIOS again with version 0306 with UniFlash and with Award's flash.exe, with no change. I tried using Asus' own aflash.exe, which failed to recognise the Intel chip, and had a similar experience with the newest awdfl882.exe. I have since discovered a further Asus utility called pflash.exe, dating from 1995-6. I tried to use this to retreat to version 0301, but it hangs during the 'blanking' phase. Fortunately it doesn't seem to do any damage. This particular version does have an 'erase ESCD' option though.

I have since used the original flash.exe to revert to the last non-PnP BIOS version, which is 0205, which was successful. I removed the 5x86 and have gone back to a simple Intel DX2-66 setup. I have found further documentation from Asus' .tw FTP relating to the first PnP BIOS, version 0301. My next move will be to attempt to flash the current version, 0205, to version 0301 using pflash.

I have read old threads on here where RG100 claimed to have fixed this problem, but using a 5v chip. I have also discovered this:

http://wiki.rom.by/index.php/%D0%9E%D0%B1%D1% … 0%B8%D0%B5:ASUS

Note the phrase 'PVI-486SP3 M/B only support SST PH29EE010 & Winbond W29EE01 +5V Flash EPROM for PnP BIOS' - really? Why?

Any suggestions??

Reply 1 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you clear the CMOS after flashing?

Oh and if your flash attempt was insuccessful you would get "no POST", not some Windows 95 problems.

Maybe Win95 even needs to be reinstalled. Or everything would have been fine after it redetected the hardware.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 6, by whitewell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried re-flashing using Award's flash.exe to version 0306, powering off and removing the battery for an hour or so with no success - other than the CMOS was cleared. I don't think the old flash program can write the ESCD needed by the PnP element of the BIOS. It's clearly a problem with the 12v part, but do replacement 5v parts from SST/Winbond exist for sale?

Reply 5 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe try uniflash instead of the Award flash program? http://www.rainbow-software.org/uniflash/

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
whitewell wrote:

but do replacement 5v parts from SST/Winbond exist for sale?

I just ordered a few from Chinese IC vendors. They are usually new, but old-stock. One place to start looking for a vendor is seekic.com. I'm not sure how well they'll fancy a small order, but shop around. Note their prices may vary by as much as 10x

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.