VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!!

I want to setup mTCP on my DOS only 5x86/133 machine but I have no idea whatsoever what I need under DOS... never tried it before.
I have installed a RTL-8139 nic and it get detected fine, also the RTL test program for DOS finds it and it seems working
I downloaded 8139's packet driver and the mTCP package...

Running the packet driver just gives me a bunch of options, it does not load... so I need some sort of other driver for network? I am reading the mTCP docs atm but I would really appreciate a rough list of needed things to get it going because all that new info floods my mind 😁

thanks for any tips! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, for the packet driver you need to run....

RTSPKT.COM 0x60

0x60 is the 'software interrupt' that the driver registers itself to. You then configure 'sample.cfg' in the mtcp folder to the ipaddress, netmask and dns that you want to use - you also make sure that you set the correct software interrupt. At that point, if you do a 'SET MTCPCFG=\PATH\TO\SAMPLE.CFG' you should be good to go. Try running ftpsrv at this point, for example. You do not need any other software or drivers.

However, the Realtek packet driver should 'just work' on a 8139... try adding the 0x60 parameter as above. What is the name of the packet driver you're using?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks megatron-uk was about to update the thread, I just searched google on RTSPKT.COM and found this info:

http://www.egigethernet.com/eG100Tsp.htm […]
Show full quote

http://www.egigethernet.com/eG100Tsp.htm

Packet Driver

Introduction:
-------------
This document describes the procedure to setup the Packet driver for
PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Location of Driver: \PKTDRV\RTSPKT.COM

Sample Configuration Files:
---------------------------
RTSPKT 0x60

Notes:
------
1. Load the packet driver using the software interrupt and any
optional switches if required.

Usage: RTSPKT [options] <software_int_no>

Example: RTSPKT -i 0x7e

The only required parameter is the software interrupt. A packet
driver needs to have a software interrupt assigned to it for other
programs to access it. The recommended interrupt 0x7e. If you need
any of the options listed below, place them before the software
interrupt on the command line.

-i - Force driver to report itself as 802.3 instead of Ethernet II.
-d - Delayed initialization. Used for diskless booting
-n - NetWare conversion. Converts 802.3 packets into 8137 packets
-w - Windows hack, obsoleted by winpkt
-p - Promiscuous mode disable
-h - Help
-u - Uninstall
-f - Line Speed = Fast Ethernet 100Mbps
-e - Line Speed = Ethernet 10Mbps

3. Type command,C:\RTSPKT 0x60, and the screen will display following
System: [345]86 processor, PCI bus, Two 8259s
Packet driver software interrupt is 0x60
Interrupt number is 0x9
I/O port is 0x6100
My Ethernet address is 52:54:4C:29:29:AD

4. Installing Multiple LAN Adapters:

If there are multiple network cards on the main board,
run RTSPKT 0x60 directly, then the screen will display :

Packet driver for PCI Fast Ethernet Card, version 3.02
(C) Copyright 1998. All Rights Reserved.

There are 2 network cards on your main board :
Card 1. IRQ= 0x9 I/O= 0x6100 NodeID= 00:40:95:2D:29:AD
Card 2. IRQ= 0xA I/O= 0x6000 NodeID= 00:40:95:2D:29:64
Please select a Card No.(1-2): 1

System: [345]86 processor, PCI bus, Two 8259s
Packet driver software interrupt is 0x60
Interrupt number is 0x9
I/O port is 0x6100
My Ethernet address is 00:40:95:29:29:AD

the DOS packages from realtek are missing that readme , if you run rtspkt.com without the software interrupt switch nothing happens... It successfully loads (even in high memory) and unloads, I am off to try the mTCP apps with your info, thanks!!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmm I get the packet driver loading, I get mtcp ftp server going but I can't get the dos pc to register on my router for some reason... it does not show under connected devices and ping does not work... mTCP's dhcp.exe fails with a timeout... tried 2 different ports/cables , the nic card does light... gonna try another nic

Reply 4 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

hmm I get the packet driver loading, I get mtcp ftp server going but I can't get the dos pc to register on my router for some reason... it does not show under connected devices and ping does not work... mTCP's dhcp.exe fails with a timeout... tried 2 different ports/cables , the nic card does light... gonna try another nic

Before you do that, just assign a static IP in the mtcp configuration file (the IP settings are down at the bottom, IIRC), that is the easiest way to use it - you don't have to bother with dhcp at all.

Just take the details from your main desktop PC and change the IP address - it will likely be something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, change the last number to be something different to your desktop and your router.

You can get the details from a windows machine at a cmd prompt via:

ipconfig /all

Reply 5 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nada, tried a different nic, same invisible issue... because it is something very obvious that I fail to see atm, please check my net info and correct me 😀

[....]
pics removed because they offer no real info, problem was the pci slot on the mobo

you can't see the DOS pc connected at all... 😢 even automatic dhcp.exe fails... what am I doing wrong??!

Last edited by keropi on 2012-03-12, 18:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 18, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

two observations:

1. don't use the -i option.
2. try without loadhigh if (1) doesn't solve the problem.
(for me, the intel pro/100 e100b11b driver doesn't work loaded high, but rtspkt should work as it does work for me, and with mtcp).

bye

edit: missing word

Reply 7 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@sklawz: yeah that was a wrong shot, I corrected the post with the correct one, no -i used

meanwhile I found the problem .... it was the PCI slot. I used the last one on the mobo, apparently the nic did not like it because it is shared with an ISA slot. I stripped down the pc to just the nic and vga and it was freezing after the packet driver. Moving the nic to the next pci slot solved ALL problems, I just connected to ftp 😁
thanks all for the help, and especially megatron-uk 😁

Reply 8 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent! Glad you've got it working - I've got virtually the exact same hardware as you, so I should think you'll see transfer rates of anything up to 4 megabytes/sec - it's certainly much easier to move stuff around that way!

Reply 9 of 18, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sklawz wrote:
hi […]
Show full quote

hi

two observations:

1. don't use the -i option.
2. try without loadhigh if (1) doesn't solve the problem.
(for me, the intel pro/100 e100b11b driver doesn't work loaded high, but rtspkt should work as it does work for me, and with mtcp).

bye

edit: missing word

I had issues with the Intel Pro/100 too... it would transfer the first few kbytes of whatever I had stacked up to transfer, and then just lock. I couldn't find any combination of switches to the packet driver that would resolve it, so had to downgrade to the RTL8139, which, to be fair, is still faster than I thought I'd see on a 486-class system.

Reply 10 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only used rtl cards tbh, they are just too common... even the dlink nic I tried was a rebadged rtl one...
I just found that FlashFXP does not work with the ftpsrv , no dir listing or transfers... filezilla works fine though...
I am getting ~1.5mb/sec , not bad! SIS based 5x86/133 system, haven't tweaked any buffers or MTU settings (currently @1000)

edit: getting ~2.0 mb/sec with mtu1500, it is great 😁

Reply 11 of 18, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When DHCP was failing to get an address, what exactly was it telling you?

If the packet driver is having problems sending packets you will get a message that reads something like "Your Ethernet card reported an error for every packet sent"." If you were able to send packets but not a single packet was seen on the line it tells you that too. Both are clues that something isn't correct with the packet driver or the cabling.

Either way, I'm glad to hear it's working now.

Mike

Reply 12 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mike, DHCP just did some retries and timed-out , no errors. Also all the rest utilities of the package seemed to work without errors BUT there was no network access. The packet driver also loaded fine without any errors.
The problem was the PCI slot I had the NIC in... it is marked as "slave" (meaning a busmaster pci card won't work in it) and the moment I moved it to another PCI slot the whole thing just started working 😀

Reply 13 of 18, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the two most common errors you should have gotten some sort of message ...

- If the packet driver can't talk to the hardware it doesn't load. And even if it loads and it can't send a packet, every packet that DHCP sends should get an error return code from the packet driver. There is a warning for that situation.

- If DHCP never sees a packet on the wire, either by broadcast or otherwise, it makes a note of that too. That's an indication of an IRQ or cabling problem. (You get an interrupt for each packet seen on the wire whether it is for you or not.)

I'm just kind of surprised that your first attempts did not get one of these messages. Packet driver, card, and cabling problems are the biggest setup problems and I try to have the code guide the user toward the problem based on symptoms.

-Mike

Reply 14 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah now I see who I am talking too 😁 thanks for mTCP it's awesome!!!!
back on topic, I never received a single error... that's why I was so confused and assumed that something is missing from my setup. having the nic on the slave-pci slot on my mobo I got no error message whatsoever from both the packet driver or mtcp progs. On bios startup screen the nic did get an IRQ too. The only "error" one might count are the timeouts the DHCP program reported.
It could be the way this particular board works and "fooled" the software into thinking all is OK (talking out of my a$$ here, just thinking loud) , remember it's a PCI 486 SIS based mobo, not the most stable combination in the universe 😀
Maybe you could put in the readme somewhere a suggestion to users, to triple-check that the nic slot is not marked as a "slave" one on the motherboard , this little tip might save some headaches 😊

Reply 16 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaqie wrote:

That was a pci v1.0 non busmaster capable slot.

could be (manual says it shares resources with the 1st PCI slot), but what is the single VLB slot that is marked as "slave" too?

IIRC those triple-bus mobos where a huge hack, VLB was almost useless but I am curious to know what cards might work on this slave-vlb slot....

Reply 17 of 18, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slave slots? All ISA slots are slave slots. ;-0 What is this PCI of which you speak?

Seriously, PCI without bus mastering is bad. An NE2000 type card probably works as those just use Programmed IO (PIO), but anything more sophisticated will have problems. Then again, I doubt that a lot of DOS packet drivers are setting up the cards for DMA given how primitive the packet driver specification is compared to modern hardware.

I'll put a note in the docs about slots that can't support bus mastering cards, but so few people read the docs. I have a small 'diags' type program that can alert people to problems - it just sniffs for network traffic and not having any traffic at all is a red flag. But that's not foolproof either.

And you are welcome - I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Mike

Reply 18 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep slave slots... my Soyo SY-4SAW2 mobo has 2 of them: the last pci one and the single VLB one, both have "SLAVE" silkscreened next to them... maybe it was a cost-related trick back then to add more slots and make the mobo more competitive in the market, it's not like many ppl would fill up the slots and find out the limitations... (pure guess here)