VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kataniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,

I installed a SPEA V7 Mirage P64 2MB VLB in my Dell Optiplex 486 DX4 machine. The onboard graphics (CL542x) is now disabled.
DOS boots fine, no errors.
But every time, I try to run a game (DOS, Privateer, etc.) the refresh rate goes up to 78Hz, which is too much for my 19" TFT.
Can anybody tell what is the cause (and perhaps a solution) for this high refresh rate?
Because of this, I also cannot run 3dbench2 and vidspeed40. The same issue there: 78Hz.

Thanks in advance for your help

kataniel

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try out this S3 DOS refresh rate utility. It should work for 864.

Attachments

• Filename
    s3ref212.zip
    File size
    42.98 KiB
    Downloads
    362 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 5, by LowSpec486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Try out this S3 DOS refresh rate utility. It should work for 864.

Thanks, that utility has allowed me to use my 486 with my 19" TFT monitor at 1024x768 resolution in Windows 95, using its original VGA card which is a VESA "S3 Trio32" with chipset 86C732-P.

Without that utility, when setting the display in Windows 95 to 1024x768 it would go to a refresh rate uncompatable with my TFT monitor, and it wouldn't work.

Reply 4 of 5, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A program called "S3VBE" helps. It does help for VGA-mode, too. I tested it with my Mirage V7 VLB.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 5 of 5, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another option is to use a DVI interface but of course it does'nt exist on a VLB video card, I found this problem with Commander keen with ISA CL5434 & VGA pci Voodoo3, radeon 9800se with dvi displayed the picture fine.