VOGONS

First post, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I stopped fiddling with the easy and straightforward Pentiums and ventured to explore more of the world of 486 quirks and horrors.
It lives up to the reputation! 😄 Amazingly, the matter of performance was of grave surprise here.

The best I managed to get from A-Trend ATC-1415 UMC PCI board
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6738/atc1415a.jpg

was the meagre score of 43 on Speedsys 4.78 processor benchmark.
The video PCPBENCH benchmark resulted in a score of 6.0 on a Matrox Millenium-II PCI 4mb card.

Yeah, this board failed to recognize AMD X5-133 so I had to give it a Bus Kick to 40mhz bus... just to get 120mhz speed instead of 100, seemingly fixed by BIOS.
This UMC selects the CPU multiplier by its own bios autodetecion, not the jumpers.
Even if set as Intel Overdrive, or other Intel, or any AMD it boots up and it sees only an AMD DX4-100. Such a dedication on its part.

a PCI divider is also present here as "auto" by bios or one can enter it manually.

Well, I suppose that's merely the lack of the last bios.
Otherwise it seems to have an OK speed.

but I really dislike the total lack of mouse (COM) and floppy ports on this board @__@
It just looks like malice and misery on designers' part. Crooked amputees are not my favourite sight. This forgotten horror does have great IDE ports, though... as if as a cruel joke.

A Sis 496/497 PCI Lucky Star board
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/ls486e.htm

gave me an abysmal score of 24.8 on Speedsys 4.78 processor benchmark.
And yes, it recognized the AMD X5-133 with no problem.

This is attested and mirrored by the vastly inferior Video Pcpbench score of 3.3 (or 3.8 with better bios settings.)

A Sis 496/497 PCI A-Trend ATC-1425B board
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/atc1425b.htm

has given the same so horrid 24.8 on processor benchmark.
Again no problem to recognize the AMD X5-133 as it is.

For some reason the Video score was somewhat better, 4.4 on Pcpbench.
(same video card, same RAM, same CPU "performance"!)

Shall we conclude Lucky Star is ~crappier~ than A-Trend in its 3D video ability?

Well I started to dislike this kind of performance and tried another ATC-1425B board.
(this one, with 5 leads on voltage stabiliser instead of 3. was it a more 'modern' version I thought?)

The results were exactly the same 24.8 for CPU and 4.4 for video.
No problem with recognizing the processor. But such a persistent misery.

In an AD&D Gothic Horror game this would be the time to roll the dice for Fear and Horror checks.
Like characters screaming in fear or feeling revulsion 😄

These reactions though don't help anyone so I decided to check my processor instead.

Having used an ADZ-133 version instead of ADW I saw, well, the same worthless score.

For now I still have some more horrors to see.
Like the 486SPM SiS board (it has lots of cache mountings for 32 dip chips as SiS tends to need!) and an EXP8449.
This last one has a funny habit of requiring 50ns EDO memory to function properly.
60ns chips need setting some BIOS wait states and other slowing measures to work.

To sum this dreary account up, is there a way to the Brilliance of performance, out of this darkness of vintage terrors?

P.S.
What I can think of might be using better BIOS versions, for all boards.

Another note on ATC-1415. When cleaned, the weird small battery got alive, after virtually 5 minutes of charging. Normally these are made by Varta, and are quite dead. Or at least supposed to be? "That is not dead which can eternal lie." 😄

Last edited by Mithloraite on 2012-07-20, 21:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 42, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are those boards actually making use of EDO DRAM's bandwidth, or just using it as FPM DRAM (with correspondingly lower burst/page bandwidth). Latency should be the same for similar speed grades, so the wait states would also be similar for random (not sequential/burst/page) accesses, while you'd still miss out on the advantages of EDO for burst access. (meaning roughly 1/2 the bandwidth EDO has the potential for -theoretically, FPM is a bit faster than that, but with DRAM controllers limited to 33/40 MHz, timing granularity limits that much more) ie 50 ns FPM DRAM might be just as fast for such a system.

Hmm, actually, running at 40 MHz FSB may be the reason for the 60 ns wait-state problem, since you'd need a 33 MHz bus (or 50, or 66) to produce a 60 ns pulse (2x 33 MHz cycles or 3x 50 MHz or 4x 66 Mhz) whereas 40 MHz would get a bit fiddly and you'd need 3 40 MHz cycles (3x25=75 ns). A 40 MHz bus would need 50 ns latency for 2-clock access times, so using 60 ns RAM would have to drop to 75 ns (the next step down), so you might as well be using 70 ns RAM.

On another note, the Red Hill computer guide/museum lists the 2 motherboards they used heavily with the AM5x86 (and Cyrix).
http://redhill.net.au/b/b-96.html
The SIS based Chaintech 486SPM and VIA Pluto based FIC PIO-3, both 1996 vintage boards, with the PIO-3 being preferred for the AM5x86.

Reply 2 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed that's a strange issue to be understood somehow, probably later when the performance riddle is solved. The only board I've tried to the moment that has showed any affinity to EDO was EXP8449 by DataExpert. But this one was not actually tried on with AMD-133, yet.
It had a DX2-66 Intel CPU.. and a bad battery. So it was given for a 2032 vertical battery holder to be soldered on, instead.
it was not used for anything but the standard 33 mhz bus...
The more surprising is the 'need' for 50 ns memory to operate without errors @__@

These Redhill pages look familiar, thanks! 😀 Though VIA was always a bit suspicious to me... VIA-specific bugs and prolonged suffering for its users seem to stand out just as long as VIA exists. Chaintech should be the solution, they were always more reliable.

The board seems fine but was experimented upon. Surely not in the name of horror but getting a PS/2 mouse port working.
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7265/dsc02225aw.jpg

Will have to dismantle it or it doesn't fit into AT case. Fortunately all other components are supposed to be OK. Here I cherish a hope to see a good AMD-160 performance at last 😀

But as we know it, SiS was not exactly the very fast 486 chipset.

Reply 3 of 42, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the AMD X5-133 + SIS 496/497 + decent VGA I'd expect the following PCPBench scores:

133/33 MHz: about 8 FPS
160/40 MHz: at least 10 FPS

I reckon PCPBench is memory/bus limited at this point, because I get nearly identical scores from an Intel DX4 at 100/120 MHz.

Reply 4 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> 133/33 MHz: about 8 FPS

thanks! well... a score of 6 was easily attained on UMC at 120mhz.
So I have to think the other 3 setups are just not using AMD X5-133 properly (though having the proper CPU model shown at boot up.)

What might be the possible reason for mistake, here?
3 boards can't be equally bad and I hardly could misinterpret the jumper manuals in such a consistent way, either.

Just thinking that poor BIOS versions might be the reason. It seems that finding a real good 5x86 board is even harder than could be expected?

Reply 6 of 42, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The numbers above are specific for SIS 496/497 boards. UMC/ALI may be faster if configured right, but not by much.

About the poor performance of your SIS boards - could you post a Speedsys screenshot?

Reply 7 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:

The numbers above are specific for SIS 496/497 boards. UMC/ALI may be faster if configured right, but not by much.

About the poor performance of your SIS boards - could you post a Speedsys screenshot?

Sure ^ ^ just in checking this an interesting fact came up, this LS board seems to like at least some EDO chips.
1 (double sided) module booted but locked up while starting Speedsys, another (also double sided) didn't start at all, but these two double sided 32 mb chips seem to start and pass ~all~ speedtest checks. Neat.

I've never heard this 4-ISA slot LS model had any support for EDO.

the site expressly states "not EDO"! Surely they aren't taking some variations into account.

Here are the screens, just sorry I did only some photos of the screens by a camera.
not pretty parallel but still very readable.

the 2nd DOS boot screen. On the first screen of BIOS boot up there's the same thing, the CPU is identified correctly.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4765/dsc02228dg.jpg

the Speedsys screen.

dsc02230ar.jpg
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9631/dsc02230ar.jpg

Yes it's 66mhz, and both A-Trend boards have it here too. A terrible, inexplicable mistake.
Can anything but a BIOS fix defeat this error? The jumpers were set correctly here and with A-Trend too I suppose.

Reply 8 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happens if you put on the turbo button jumper? What are your cache/memory timings set at? Not all motherboards have the off-jumper default to Turbo mode. I've seen some boards with 3-state turbo buttons.

Some SiS-based boards are equivalently as fast as UMC-based boards.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 42, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

What happens if you put on the turbo button jumper? What are your cache/memory timings set at? Not all motherboards have the off-jumper default to Turbo mode. I've seen some boards with 3-state turbo buttons.

Some SiS-based boards are equivalently as fast as UMC-based boards.

That has caught me out a number of times, it's worth a check, check, and re-check.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 42, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would check the turbo switch first, but maybe you have a fake 5x86-133. Maybe it's really a DX/4 100.

You should investigate to see if you are indeed running with a 2x multiplier.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 42, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I would check the turbo switch first, but maybe you have a fake 5x86-133. Maybe it's really a DX/4 100.

If it was a remarked DX/4, that would be a 3x multiplier, not 2x. And, the CPU does appear to be set to 3x in several of those boards. (hence 120 MHz at 40 FSB)

Reply 12 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Sure, I started to have such thoughts when the 2nd board displayed the same "curse". Like the ADW cpu is defective, fake, gone cachemoduleless(tm) 😀
After swapping the CPU to ADZ-133 and seeing no improvement... well I had to think of the other jumpers. Yeah, that was the forgotten Turbo Switch!
one should never forget it...
(posted some screens)

Reply 13 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot minna-san, everyone!
That was it, I completely forgot about the Turbo Switch. Indeed that was the reason for slow operation.

reminds of a possibility such as "There once was a little hedgehog, one day he forgot how to breathe, and he died..."
Fortunately now that you mention it, the trouble is gone 😄

With the TS connected it's mainly quite nice. Even the first CPU that I've tried reaches the good 160mhz speed. The video bench works great, even with this unplanned EDO memory there are no lockups or any other problems.

Even a medium 486 CPU fan w/aluminum compound seems sufficient and cool with the bench.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7950/dsc02235a.jpg

The performance screens are taken in WT mode.
This way the board has much better memory caching potential (afair SiS 496/97 can cache only 32mb when in WB mode)

dsc02232a.jpg

dsc02233ac.jpg

Well I surely feel much happier with this 😀 Thanks again everybody!

Perfection is the key. Fatality is the key. (c)

Reply 15 of 42, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the sis496/496 requires the turbo switch to be short for full memory/cache speed. there's not a jumper on all boards. some other board which lack the jumper have it hard-wired in the "short" position.

while 10.9fps is comparable with other x5 @ 4*40mhz, your memory throughput still sucks. the chipset is able to achieve ~45-47mb/s shown in the "memory throughput" line in speedsys. maybe you can tighten the timings. post your advanced bios settings for more advice.

cheers,
fab

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 16 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kool kitty89 wrote:

Heh, wow, that'll do it.

Had you forgotten to connect a turbo button/switch, or just to activate it?

Connecting the switch in place as it is on the picture was pretty enough to get it.
Appreciated the pin indicator printed on the switch, the 1st pin marking on the board and even an inscription telling the JP number for the switch... no need to see the manual.

When pressed, it makes it "de-turbo". lits the yellow indicator and halves the speed. I wonder it it could be reversed with this UTT case. (Making full speed when lit).

Reply 17 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:

the sis496/496 requires the turbo switch to be short for full memory/cache speed.

it looks that I was reminded of this feature the hard way 😀 Pentiums make one forget about this switch and SiS is not forgiving, at all.
What's nice is the fact it works, quite efficient in slowdown and nothing is hard-wired.
on the other hand ASUS (in making the same SiS chipset board) was said to forgo this switch... and it's a pity. Better have it operational.

The memory used here was a bit of surprise because the Mbarron site specifically states that EDO is not supported. So I left it on defaults to see its general stability while running the video bench, for some 20 minutes. No errors.
I will surely explore it further. Also a Riva128ZX by Diamond was obtained for this 486 box, too. An advanced member here was recommending its great VESA compatibility, also the speed is of interest here (compared to Matrox Mil2).

The advanced settings mainly seem to follow the manual. Mbarron has its pages assorted in a way
and also each page is packed itnto a .pdf 😵 (effectively preventing ACDsee and similar picture pack viewers from working)

I did away with this uncomfortable facade, making a usual series of .gif pages.
http://www.divshare.com/download/19174114-c15

Sure I san make photos of the DRAM settings screen a bit later too... If you deem some settings to be of particular importance here, please point me to it.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I get to it is the wait states. Good memory setup can work with zero waits and remain stable...
Surely there should be other, also important.

Reply 18 of 42, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll take a look at the BIOS-settings later but the SiS 496/497 does support EDO in the final Revision of the chipset. The northbridge chip is marked with a small "P" and a second letter, the timestamp should state some date after 9650. The chips on my SiS EDO Board are marked "PR" on the 496 chip from 9713 and "NU" on the 497 chip from 9711.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 19 of 42, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great thanks for the push to improve memory here... Now the memory subsystem has stopped this vampire-related type of activity. Quite to the contrary, it seems to perform well 😀

the settings screen currently looks like
dsc02240if.jpg

and the result is
dsc02239qj.jpg

So the memory throughput has gone all the way from 30 MB/s to 39 and 47MB/s at the moment.

What is tragic is the fact that it almost didn't help the 3D performance. The PCP bench was 10.9 and now it's 11.3.
Interestingly, the Diamond Viper Riva 128 was losing a fraction of the frame to Matrox (10.8 vs. 10.9) but with memory throughput only slightly raised they started to show 11.3.
Any further memory throughput increase doesn't seem to have any practical effect here. So the faster type of memory is not needed probably, neither a faster video card. Everything seems to be hindered with the processor power, that is, the lack of it.

We need more CPU power huh... Just where we might get it I wonder 😀