VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I would like to ask regarding the possibility of using various Sierra games with DosBox GUS emulation.

I would like to begin with describing my current DOSBox setup:
I am using v0.74 on a Windows7 x64 system (For the record, I tried also with latest SVN compile and results were identical).
I have in my mounted C drive a folder ULTRASND, with its contents copied from the ULTRASND411 folder from http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about10574.html.
In dosbox.conf I have set: gus=true, gusrate=44100, gusbase=240, gusirq=5, gusdma=3, ultradir=C:\ULTRASND.

Testing using PLAYMIDI from ULTRASND dir works as expected.
It also works as expected in many games, with both music and speech (such as "Under a Killing Moon").

However, I encounter various problems with speech in Sierra games when configured to Gravis sound (speech works properly in these games only when configured to Sound Blaster).

Sierra has two sets of drivers for GUS: GUS16 (AUDGUS.DRV & GMGUS.DRV), which needs ULTRAMID before launching the sierra game; and GUS32 (GUSDAC.DRV & GUSMIDI.DRV) which needs LOADPATS with provided INI file before launching the sierra game. Older games use GUS16 while newer ones use GUS32 (the drivers are not interchangable).

I wasn't able to get speech to work properly with almost all Sierra games when configured to use Gravis Ultrasound (problem is with speech only, music works properly):

Games using GUS32 GUSDAC.DRV - some games using it (Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry VI) - produce speech but with frequent stuttering;
while some other games using it (Police Quest IV, Quest for Glory IV) - crash DOSBOX when trying to produce speech. For these, in log I see something like:

DYNX86: Can't run code in this page!
Illegal write to 6200a81c, CS: IP, 170:c0001fbc

In all GUS32 games music works properly (but it is provided through another driver - GUSMIDI.DRV).

Regarding Games using GUS16 AUDGUS.DRV:
* Dagger of Amon Ra - crashes when trying to produce speech, with the message in log: "Invalid GRP4 call"
* King's quest VI - this is the only Sierra game where GUS speech seems to be working properly.
Music works properly through GUS in all of the above as well (but it is provided through another driver, GMGUS.DRV)

I tried with several versions of ULTRAMID and LOADPAT, but this had no effect on the result.
As I mentioned, problem persists with latest SVN, and also with DOSBOX-X branch which supposedly has some additional Gravis fixes.

I would appreciate any help in this matter. Of course, I will glady provide any further information you may need.

Thanks,
Pupin[/code]

Reply 1 of 3, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well... No help from me, just random banter...
Nobody ever loved a SoundBlaster. Many loved GUS.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 3, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated SCI32 gus drivers - http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/game_ut … /GUS_Sierra.zip. For GK1, QfG4, PQ4, LSL6.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).