VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep getting some weird image errors when playing Descent on my V3 3000 (default clocks). I use an Eizo L365 monitor, messing with some settings there didn't help. I don't think this issue is monitor related though, as Descent is so far the first DOS game giving me this. Running in W98 or DOS doesn't change anything... Can anyone with this card try if they get similar errors?

Attachments

• Filename
    error.rar
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Downloads
    373 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know about source ports obviously. There are people who prefer to play the games in their original form if they work... If anybody would only use source ports and DOSBox this (sub)-forum wouldn't have much purpose, now wouldn't it?

Reply 4 of 8, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a few things which might help if you didn't already check:

#1 What drivers are you using? Drivers can cause weird errors like that (such was the case with some cards I had, ATI Rage *cough cough*).
#2 Is the card properly cooled? Excessive heat can agitate GPUs in that manner.
#3 Do you have a well shielded VGA cable? Sometimes poor shielding can affect image quality.
#4 Does the monitor support 320x240 & 640x480?

Reply 5 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen some horizontal tearing with voodoo 3 cards, but it is all over the place when it happens. It happens when the voodoo 3's clock is set to low, and it also depends on the systems FSB Bus speed. But I don't remember if a faster bus was more or less likely to make things tear...

But your voodoo is already clocked high, so that shouldn't be a problem.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the further suggestions... I tried it with a 3500TV since (newest stock drivers) and same thing. I don't know if the monitor supports the proper resolutions, but Eizo monitors are some of the best around overall so I'd be surprised if it's the culprit. As for the updated W9x .exe, can't try that cause I only have the shareware version so far.

Reply 8 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't there a 3dfx version too? Some shareware titles came out with 3dfx versions. Maybe in Glide mode the problem will go away.