VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my attempts to put together a project that combines the parallel port patch and features useful for text-based applications (support for underline in mode mono; support for the second VGA font bank), I came across a commercial application called dbDOS, available at dbDOS.com. The full commercial project seems to consist of code based on h-a-l's Megabuild 6 with a GUI front end for installing dBASE into DOSBox and printing from it. The code changes that I described in another thread about dBASE printing are taken from the open-source part of dbDOS - I haven't seen the GUI front end.

The source code for the DOSBox part of dbDOS (not for the GUI front end) is available for download from dbDOS.com on their Updates page, but they posted a bad link for the latest version. The correct link is:

http://www.dbase.com/downloads/dbasellc-dbDOS … fcdb7651399.zip

I haven't checked to see whether any of the code is different from Megabuild 6, other than a few lines needed for dBASE printing. I was able to build the dbDOS code (after a lot of effort and teeth-gnashing), by removing things I don't need (networking, screen captures). But I'm not sure whether it adds anything to Megabuild other than a few lines for printing - and now h-a-l and ripsaw8080 have provided what seems to be a better fix in their posts here:

Re: Dosbox MB6 has printing problems on Linux.

Anyway, it would be good to know if there's anything else in dbDOS that isn't already in Megabuild 6. The programmer who worked on it only put his name in one of the printing-related files and I haven't done any other detailed comparisons.

Reply 1 of 1, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just noticed that this project includes a clipboard-paste function - press Ctrl-F9 and the contents of the Windows clipboard get pasted into DOSBox. It works reliably at the command prompt and in the text editors I tried, but it doesn't work reliably in WordPerfect for DOS. Also, it only pastes ASCII text, not "upper-ASCII" characters.

As far as I can tell, the author has implemented a feature already present in SDL, as described in the file gui_tk.h. There's also a feature in SDL that copies text to the clipboard, but I don't understand how it can be implemented.

Because the clipboard feature has absolutely no use in games, I fully understand why the developers will never implement it, but I wonder if anyone else here has the expertise needed to work on it.