VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just installed a cd copy of the game The Hidden Below in 0.74.

When launching the game however it appears the hang. the debug version shows it repeatedly spitting out the error code:
CPU:Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 0

My cd is mounted in the standard way:
imgmount d .\games\TheHidde\cd\thb.cue -t cdrom

I've tried lowering and raising cycles, disabling extended memory, forcing a simple core, and setting the cputype to 386_prefetch.

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game seems to work OK for me in 0.74 using default settings. It's not necessary to install it, but if you choose to it merely copies some of its data files onto the HD for faster access. I just mount the disc image and run THB.EXE to start the game; select SBPro for music and sound, IRQ 7, and high quality sound (sound options are in German). Then press K and enter to select keyboard controls and the game is running.

Reply 2 of 5, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The install on the disc simply copied 3 files over to a THBDATA directory, and then created a THBSAVE directory. Then it created a SE directory populated with a CFG file that contianed the following:

[Setup]
Part1=C:\THBDATA\THB.001
Part2=C:\THBDATA\THB.002
Part3=C:\THBDATA\THB.003
CdRom=D

SaveDir=C:\thbsave\
[DigiSound]
CardType=2
Quality=3
Port=220
Irq=7

[FmSound]
CardType=3

Running THB solo, without any of the installed files, gives me the same interrupt error.

I just tried the latest SVN build and got the same error.

Just checked my cue file, and it has no audio tracks, so I doubt it is something to do with the timing being wrong as a few games have shown in the past.

To verify it was not my conf, I just went and grabbed the 0.74 conf file from my appdata folder, copied it over and just appended my mount commands to the end:
mount c .\games\TheHidde
imgmount d .\games\TheHidde\cd\thb.cue -t cdrom

I then launched this, changed to the d:, and tried to run THB and it hung in the same manner.

As far as I can tell, this means that either my particular version of the game causes this problem, or dosbox has a problem with core i7 processors, as that is still the single link between those who are having problems playing Chasm and those who say it works fine.

The dates of the files on my cd are 8/17/1994, with thb.exe being 8/24/1994.

Reply 3 of 5, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A moment ago I reinstalled the game, then ran the setup to set the sound card settings, and when I launched the game it didn't simply hang, it full out crashed and locked my input up. I was able to use ctrl-alt-del to kill the task.

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have version 1.1 with THB.EXE and THB.BIN dated 16 May 1995, but dunno if it would solve your problem. There is a patch on the patches-scrolls site to version 1.20f, but claims to be for the german release only, and I think I have an international release.

Reply 5 of 5, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, considering the exe resides on the cd... I'm not sure I understand how one would apply the patch? It does seem that I have an older version however.