VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When my system is booted after a week's inactivity I get a hard error which clears after a few restarts. Any ideas? System is:

pentium4 640
asrock 4coredual-vsta
2gb ram
fx5950 ultra
500gb sata drive [4 equal partitions]
windows 2000 sp4
sb live with live drive II

I have changed nothing since I built it except to fit the Live Drive II, and it was running fine.

I'm ready to conclude that either 2000 or the agp implementation is flakey with these boards.

I had a lot of trouble with an alivedual-esata2 with 2000 in the past. Different chipset though: 4core is via, alivedual is nforce. These are hybrid agp/pcie boards. The alivedual has been trouble free now I'm using a pcie card, but it used to regularly have problems back when i used agp cards. Could be unrelated though.

Last edited by ratfink on 2012-10-05, 15:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's reported on a BSOD as a "hard error" at the top of the screen. Lots of text about recent changes etc [there haven't been any]. I don't recall an error code but next time I get the screen I will check. I think it said something like "unknown error 128" but that probably isn't the number.

Once, it got into Windows and then crashed with a "hard error" message and a window that counted down unitl it rebooted. I think after the reboot it was OK, and after subsequent shutdowns and hard reboots a few minutes later.

Hours later however I got a system freeze on boot.

I should have added this to the original post perhaps:

Other symptoms [I thought these were due to a loose cable, but perhaps not]: the system sometimes freezes on one of the Windows loading screens [sometimes on the black and white on with the dotted ribbon across the bottom, sometimes on the next one].

Ah this "freeze" had finally resulted in:
Disk I/O error: Status = 8001
Disk I/O error: Status = 8004

and some time later [again long enough to believe it was finished or frozen]:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\winnt\system\config\system

🙁
I wonder if it's using large hard drives with 2000. On other completely different systems I found it sometimes craps itself and loses the entire file system.

Hmmm come to think of it, my son runs XP on a 4coredual-SATA2, an almost identical board. His system keeps giving these kind of errors, we've installed XP twice already. In his case I thought it was due to him thrashing the system, installing too much stuff, filling hard drives beyond sensible capacity and generally running the thing into the ground. In my case - I'm only using it for Warcraft 3 [overkill but such a smooth experience when it works!].

Last edited by ratfink on 2012-10-05, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.