VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dosbox 0.75 on Win7x64

Trying to run the game "Conquest" from 1983 by Windmill Software. it appears to be a Joust clone.

Loading the game displays a highscore list. Hitting a key loads the first game level before quickly blacking out.

At this point the debug screen starts scrolling "Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 0"

In the past I believe this had been handled a few times by simply mounting a floppy image to the A: I attempted this, and got the same error.

My conf file is set to the defaults. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 4, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Note: I found an alternate version of the game. This one gives a different error message:
Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 6
CPU:CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

It then scrolls these two repeatedly.

Reply 2 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

loadfix

Seriously, always try loadfix with various allocation sizes.

All variants of the DOS conversion I tried seem happy with 20 kB, so loadfix -20, which gives a reasonable approximation of a real DOS load address.

Reply 4 of 4, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some booter DOS conversions are picky and only run if you do a clean boot with no drivers/TSRs loaded or else need to be in the first 64k. I know that Frogger II, Gremlins, and Agent USA are like this.

Agent USA wouldn't run on my XT with DOS 3.30, but it worked when I booted the computer with a DOS 3.00 disk (I found the latter in a box of disks that somebody gave me and it ended up proving handy for these situations) because 3.30 is bigger and programs start loading around 1100:0000. The older DOS has a smaller memory footprint and so the game could load under the 64k line.

Amusingly, Agent USA ran just fine on my Windows 95 laptop because again it loaded below 1000:0000 and it turned out to be compatible with faster CPUs as well.