VOGONS

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have a blurry photo (attached) and would like to know what this can be... do the two big oblong shaped chips look YM3812 (OPL2) to you ? If not, what else...?

All educated guesses are welcome 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    8bitISAsoundcard.JPG
    File size
    179.78 KiB
    Downloads
    234 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 1 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First send the image to CSI: Resolution Enhancer.

😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's labeled "Sound Card II" or something like that, so it's probably some sb clone IMHO , not very enlightening - I know - but the image is crap... 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need a pattern enhancer:
pattern_enhancers.jpg
it should help to rematerialize your image with better localized information.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

keropi, thanks, gonna snoop around that way !

archsan, elianda,

cannot resist going sci-fi can you... a predator's mask would come in handy, rest assured
😁

Reply 6 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea likely a SB clone with jumpers. Set it to 220/7/1, stick it in a PC and try pretty much any game. It should work.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 24, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there dual OPL chips on that card? It may be a SoundBlaster Pro 1.0 clone, but I can't say for sure without a clearer picture. Judging by the two big DIP chips in the middle of the card, those may be discrete YM3812 clones.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 8 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crossed my mind as well...wishful thinking 😀

Only if I knew which company had a logo like that - a "stick man" or "hangman" in baseball hat...? 😳

I asked the owner to post a better photo and have a few days for an answer yet (if any). A simple blaster clone is not very interesting, a pro 1 clone or a weird PAS clone, however, might hold some interest - well, for me.

Reply 9 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I will not get a sharp photo, and the inscription on the big chips is SS701 .
What sort of internal labelling can that be? Crystal Semiconductors ? C-Media ?

Reply 10 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crystal Semiconductor chips usually are prefixed with CS and either have a large CRYSTAL or CS logo on them that would've been visible in the blurry photo.

Googling for SS701 finding trails just led to some friggin small sound card.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks,

so it must be something else. I was looking at C-media chip types but that can be misleading

http://www.cmedia.com.tw:8899/EN/about_contac … s@cmedia.com.tw

but it cannot be YM3812 either as those chips were not perfectly oblong, they had those bite-like missing part in the middle of one shorter end.

Reply 13 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PAS is larger if my memory serves me right.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PAS was longer and had the same "bite-marked" YM3812s as the SB Pro I.
"Sound Card" maybe "Sound Card II" is printed at the bottom-left corner. It is definitely not a brand card, just a very cheap clone of something.

here is Fabian's photo of the 8 bit PAS:
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/03/mediavision-pr … -8-bit-isa.html

I think I will bid a small amount on this strange card, the odds for it being rare / valuable are rather low...

Reply 15 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting card, seems to be a very odd one. May I post my best possible guess regarding the chips?

Here we go:

http://www.amoretro.de/8bitISAsoundcard.JPG

I think it is a strange mixed SB Clone with SB-Pro (1.0) FM-compatibility. Therefore the 2 Big IC's are OPL2 Clones and the 2 small 8-pin IC's are the DAC clones. I have zero doubt that it's like that. I know a OPL2 clone chip from a "Protac" card, labeled "KS8001" in white letters, centered on the chip. So "SS701" is just another label on the same chip; it is still a OPL2 clone.

Look at the chip on the upper left. I think it is a MediaVision MVD201 chip, better known as the "Thunder" from the MediaVision ThunderBoard. It's also used by the PAS16 soundcard for digital (PCM) SB compatibility (in Mono). If it is not the MVD201, which I doubt, it has to be a DSP for SB compatibility.

Either way, the chip in the upper left gives the card its SB (PCM) compatibility.

This is very unusual because I've never seen a card with mixed compatibility standards.. SB (PCM) on the one hand and SB Pro (1.0) FM on the other hand.. Really strange.

I don't want to dissapoint you, but I am sure that this card is not a PAS clone. The PAS requires quite a few more chips, e.g. a dedicated mixer chip and a yamaha midi-interface chip.

Very interesting card, though. Maybe you want to trade it in if you don't really "need" it. I would like to have it in my collection 😉

Cheers
Fabian

Last edited by FGB on 2013-01-07, 09:01. Edited 6 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 16 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please reduce image size when embedding images in the post. Even on 1920x1200 I have to scroll sideways.

Edit: Nvm, fixed now 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Please reduce image size when embedding images in the post. Even on 1920x1200 I have to scroll sideways.

Edit: Nvm, fixed now 😀

Hehe, yes, my bad. I fixed it within 20 secs after the original post. You came just at the right time 😜

Last edited by FGB on 2013-01-07, 08:48. Edited 1 time in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 18 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot, everyone!
Special thanks to FGB for the clearup !

I will report back if I happen to win the card 😉

Reply 19 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the card. It works (although very noisy)

- digitally, it is SB 1.0 compatible (in games, 22 khz mono only)
- the square chip might be a mediavision clone but there is no label on it at all
- there is a mono / stereo jumper on the card, but I cannot get dual OPL2 sound out of it. I think drivers are necessary to emulate SB Pro 1 or PAS, but this is hopeless as I do not even know the brand of the card.
- besides the usual port 22x/24x, IRQ 5/7 and D IRQ 1/3, D ACK 1/3 there is a jumper called "GS". I have no idea what that can be. Gameport disabler, maybe...