VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there, I know windows 9x is not supported but still, im looking for help for people who want to take time to do so

im using ykhwong lastest build (january 7, 2013). I was able to install Windows 95 version C in the same way as the Windows 95 Installation guide here on dosbox using a Windows 95 C CD and Partionned 2GB hard disk of FreeDOS.

Installation was perfect, everything went well, but each time I try to boot the image , it open windows 95 but I always get a Windows Protection Error except when I go to Safe mode. What could be the problem?

NOTE: I used the dropdown menu and not command to boot WIN95

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boot into Safe Mode. Then, open device manager on My Computer, then remove the Plug and Play BIOS. Restart and it should boot.

Also, changing the video device to Standard VGA will help since the driver it autodetects to ("S3") will just cause a freeze. When you boot normally, change it again and specify the "S3 Trio64v+" driver.

SVN builds and Windows 9X are not supported in these forums. I shouldn't even reply!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find VMWare is actually the best option for running Win9x on a modern PC. 😉 The only thing it really lacks is 3D acceleration, but no one has managed to perfect 3D acceleration under an emulated/virtualized Win9x environment as of yet, so it doesn't make too much of a difference.