VOGONS

First post, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Days long ago I used to play a game called Brick or its variant. I tried one game from the net. It seemed close , except that the play area confines itself to the upper half and an incessant flicker everywhere.
How to get around , or if someone knows of a similiar game , let know..

I have attached the game zip Brick.zip,..

Attachments

Last edited by aeronix on 2013-03-01, 18:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 23, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

machine=cga

Machine = CGA did not help. The flicker remains. I tried all the options under
hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe

Either the flicker continues in the game , or WIN 3.1 tries to load and fails and gets back to DOS prompt. Are you sure the game is fine?

Reply 5 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Under DOSBox directly you can use machine=cga. And it works with the game. Actually it's not such a good idea to run stuff in the Win 3.11 console as this isn't well supported by DOSBox.

1+1=10

Reply 6 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Failing to use the CGA machine type causes the game to have the screen appearance you describe. Your attempts to change the machine type were evidently not effective. FYI, changing the machine type at the DOSBox prompt does not activate it. Set machine=cga in the conf file and then start DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

FYI, changing the machine type at the DOSBox prompt does not activate it.

Maybe options like that should be disabled, or at least provide some sort of warning to the user that changes must be made to DOSBox.conf to be effective? Just a thought.

Reply 9 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Jorpho wrote:
ripsaw8080 wrote:

FYI, changing the machine type at the DOSBox prompt does not activate it.

Maybe options like that should be disabled, or at least provide some sort of warning to the user that changes must be made to DOSBox.conf to be effective? Just a thought.

I've made a patch that displays a warning message for settings changed at the prompt that must be saved and DOSBox restarted before they are activated; and Qbix mentioned having made one also. It's just window dressing, though. The "config -writeconf" command still gives purpose to changing those settings at the prompt, and in SVN it's possible to immediately activate them by restarting: "config -writeconf -r".

Reply 10 of 23, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to all the replies. Yes machine =CGA works without any hitch. I made this change in the config(which loads Win 3.1 by default), let Win 3.1 which apparently is not compatible load and fail and then continued with the game in DOS. Some queries..

Game
1. The paddle controls are Caps Lock - LEFT , Ins - RIGHT. The Ins works without issues , but my inspiron is keen to display "Caps LOCK ON" or "OFF" message on the screen first thereby reducing the effectiveness / speed of the Caps Lock key. Any help on that?
Solved- Ok sorted this out with keymapper.
DOS BOX
1.It is evident that different that different games/apps would involve different settings in the DOS Box conf. Surely there is some way where such conf and the app can be bundled into a folder.On clicking the shortcut key the game should initiate DOS box , with the correct config and begin. But the config essentially is designed to be present in the main program folder. Any help on that. Solved-I had an error earlier as it was in the program files folder. Later moved it to c:\xxx and is sorted now
2.Someone mentioned a patch. How to keep DOS Box updated automatically?

VOGONS site.
1.Definitely this great site is handling nearly 4.5 decades of computer codes. But what is it , when a user has to repeatedly select the text for BOLD , italic or underline. Websites these days change the display even while in the write/edit mode. Might be atleast here you want to keep up the date with the past. Just for humor.... 😐

Last edited by aeronix on 2013-02-25, 14:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 23, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
1. I was able to sort out the issues of exchange of keys.Used keymapper and exchanged them.
2. The configs of different games files I was able to do.

There seems to be a problem with left key originally "CAPS LOCK" , exchanged later with "Left" key and also "1" as a test case. The right keys are "Right" and "2". On subsequent runs left key does not work , and on longer press , the game quits. The right key though functions normally. Any clue?

Reply 12 of 23, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Maybe options like that should be disabled,

Hehe, made me think, if 'machine=' is completely disabled, there will be no output on the screen... 😁

Klimawandel.

Reply 13 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aeronix wrote:

But what is it , when a user has to repeatedly select the text for BOLD , italic or underline. Websites these days change the display even while in the write/edit mode. Might be atleast here you want to keep up the date with the past. Just for humor.... 😐

This board uses the same phpBB software as thousands of other message boards on the Internet.

Reply 15 of 23, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
1. Is there some issue with the Left key (originally CAPS LOCK) mapped with the left arrow key. It works fine in the first session, and later the left alone fails. The right works (INS to right arrow) perfectly. What could be the possible issue.

2. I have put the Bricks-config , Bricks-mapper.map in a separate games folder with the Bricks game shortcut linked to pick the Bricks-config and by default the Brick-mapper file listed in the config. How to run a reset mapper batch for this game alone?

Reply 16 of 23, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to add that I tried this game in my XP SP 3 machine. The problem remains. CAPS lock binds to the left arrow key and works fine in the immediate session. But on closing and opening the mapped key (left arrow)
does not work , even though the keymapper Ctrl+F1 indicates that as still mapped...

Reply 17 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the locks keys are tricky things, because of the way SDL handles them.

I wouldn't bind anything from them or to them.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 18 of 23, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

the locks keys are tricky things, because of the way SDL handles them.

I wouldn't bind anything from them or to them.

Surely not the answer I am looking for 🤣 . But strangely the RIGHT version of the key binds itself properly. So it is not the question on the efficacy of the whole system. Might be CAPS LOCK sends out two different types of signal on the first press(?) and the second(which moves the palette), DOSBox binds itself with the first. Anyway it will be a pity if the Game does not become renderable...

Reply 19 of 23, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try setting SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable to windib. Despite the name, it affects keyboard behavior too. I think the default value if it's not specified is directx.

Also, another SDL environment variable you might want to try is SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS=1. You need a new SDL dll though.

Here's another thread about CAPS LOCK behavior:
Caps Lock issues, and a suggested fix