VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I set up a nice Windows 3.11 (Spanish) installation, and then proceeded to test some Windows games of the era... most of them work without a hitch, provided you change res and color depth to 640x480 and 256 colors (you'll need the S3 Windows drivers to do that, naturally) and accept to install some other packages when needed, such as Video for Windows, WinG, Win32s, Quicktime...

But a few of them are causing me headaches, as it could be expected, and I wonder if anybody got them working before me, and what did it take.

The problematic games are so far:

- Deadlock: Planetary Conquest --> Installs OK, but the message "Unexpected DOS error: 21" appears whenever I try to run it.

- Fisher-Price Great Adventures: Castle --> Can't finish installation process.

- Microsoft Golf 2.0 --> Installs OK, but in the first run demands a bigger virtual memory file. I've done that, but the program keeps complaining of the same issue.

On the other hand, many other games seem to work fine, such as: Darkseed 2, Micorsoft Fury3, The Pagemaster, Civilization II, SimTower...

Reply 1 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some Win32s games run into the "Unexpected DOS error: 21" problem, and cputype=486_slow (or pentium_slow) usually gets rid of it.

For the virtual memory complaint, did you try increasing memsize? (in theory you don't need as much virtual memory with more physical memory)

Reply 2 of 15, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, cputype=486_slow gets rid of the "Unexpected DOS error: 21" in "Deadlock: Planetary Conquest". Thanks for the tip.

I already tried increasing memsize with "Microsoft Golf 2.0", but the problem persists. My guess is that either:

1) The problem is another issue, and the error message kind of a generic one.

2) The game needs 32 bit disk access, which I'm told is not implemented under DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A bit of investigation suggests that MS Golf suffers the same problem in Windows XP. (One page suggests solving the problem with a minimum page file size of 4 GB, but that seems a bit fishy.)

Reply 4 of 15, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahhh... there you go, "Microsoft Golf 2.0" also needed the cputype=pentium_slow option... now it works with default memory settings:

rVbq9DO.png

I'll see if that was also the problem with "Fisher-Price Great Adventures: Castle".

EDIT: Nope, that one keeps freezing at the install assistant.

Reply 7 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The bottom part of the debug window shows file accesses in a fairly straightforward manner. Sometimes if you're lucky you can see if something is missing.

Of course, it might be easier to try to duplicate the problem in Win9x (or XP), in which case Process Monitor (a Win32 program) can be used to the same effect. Or maybe it's just some other emulation quirk, in which case that would just be a waste of time.

Reply 9 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The Fisher-Price game and its installer seem to work OK with *only* the video and sound drivers installed in Windows 3. The installer is a Win16/Win32 hybrid, so Win32s may be a hangup, at least in DOSBox. Also, the game uses QuickSound, which may have problems with certain versions of QuickTime. So, I haven't nailed down the exact problematic element.

Edit: As I suspected, it's Win32s that gives the installer a fit. However, you can install Win32s after the game is successfully installed and it won't cause a problem because the game is 16-bit.

Reply 11 of 15, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"The Daedalus Encounter" is driving me nuts... It works fine right after installing, but after running Windows again it loses the sound after pressing <SPACE>, which is used to play video in full screen. I've tried the usual tricks (memory size, cputype), plus updating the game to v1.2, but zero results so far.

Reply 12 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dunno what would cause the sound to cut out... try sbmixer=false, and maybe fixed cycles or a cycle limit.

If the movies are in QT or VFW format, did you install the latest drivers? Are you using a video driver color depth recommended in the game readme? I've seen some games install outdated QT components that b0rk movie playback. What I did there was use a clean install of Win3 with no QT, installed the game, then installed the latest version of QT and let it clean up old components.

Reply 13 of 15, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TDE tries to install Quicktime v2.0.1, but fails. I installed v2.1.2 successfully afterwards. It tries to detect previous installations of QT and erase them, so I don't think it's a QT issue. I'm using the S3 drivers, a 640x480x256c resolution and the official SB16 drivers.

Could you reproduce the issue?

Reply 14 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not reproducing the problem you describe: sound not working when movies are toggled to fullscreen, even after restarting DOSBox and Win3.

I'm using default settings in DOSBox 0.74, WfW 3.11, S3 Trio 64/32 video driver version 1.70.04, SB16 driver + patch. I chose minimum install for the game, and did not try to install the included QT, installing QT 2.1.2 instead.

BTW, the movies look better with more than 8-bit color depth. The game worked fine with 32-bit color, but 16-bit looked about as good, so 32-bit might be overkill.