VOGONS

Common searches

Direct3D games in DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

And why is kekko’s 3dfx patch so crucial to Windows gaming in emulators? To answer this, we should examine the current state of the x86 emulators.

There are the two major emulators with robust DirectX support for gaming, VirtualBox and VMware. By my measure, VMware is the best emulator for Windows gaming, but it is not open source, not portable, and there is no guarantee it will support future operating systems. This solution is not tailored for gaming, significantly more difficult to setup and maintain than DosBox, and requires a license for a supported Windows operating system.

VirtualBox also runs DirectX games but at slower speeds that VMware. It’s advantage is that its source code is open (edit: but the 3d video driver is not?) and has allowed it to be ported to many operating systems. However, like VMware, its development is complex and not geared toward Windows gaming. Supporting these conclusions is that both of these emulators are not ported to Android or iOS.

DosBox has been ported to Android and iOS. It has been ported many times. It has a focus on gaming, so development would continue in the direction of running games. One particular port to Java is jDosBox. It has a couple of features which DosBox does not – a working virtual hard disk controller and reportedly working virtual Voodoo2 video card. One could imagine that the hurdle is surmountable to port both these devices to DosBox. And these two devices are the keys to robust Windows gaming in DosBox.

In its current state, DosBox along with a few key patches is available via the “Daum build”, a version already capable of DirectX gaming. I posted a few results in a previous thread, including that Jedi Knight runs with 3d hardware acceleration (Direct3d 5.0). I also could run the Direct3d titles Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, but there are graphical artifacts which accompany the high framerates. (Edit: artifacts are observed on ATI HD6000 series with Windows driver, but not on other tested card). From testing and known limitations of 3dfx’s Voodoo1, it is apparent that it will fully support DirectX features up until version 5, including the corresponding Direct3d component. In addition, it will accelerate nearly all Glide-enhanced DirectX games. I verified this by running Half-life and GLQuake, at framerates similar to the functioning Glide wrappers running via DosBox (for example, nGlide). (Edit: Kekko's Voodoo1 is working on DirectX5/6/7; also, on Direct3D5/6; Direct3D7 is showing graphical artifacts which may be attributed to the architecture of the physical Voodoo1 card).

However, the problem is running Windows games newer than DirectX5 which also use Direct3d. NOLF is a game which supports DirectX7. While DirectX7 can be installed in Windows 9x inside the Daum build of DosBox, there is still the limitation that Voodoo1 only supports DirectX5 features and is limited to 4mb of RAM (actually only 2mb is available for textures; without textures the world would appear as sculptures without paint nor molded by chisel). This limitation is seen by running NOLF which displays characters and operates at high framerates, but the world is mainly devoid of textures. This is likely caused by low texture memory, as the system requirements of this game reveals. (Edit: this is likely a Direct3D driver limitation and not attributed to low memory). So, while DirectX7 provides bug fixes for older Windows games, it does not overcome the requirement of the higher video memory requirements of games from this era. DirectX7 is essentially running the DirectX5 Voodoo1 renderer along with the enhanced capability to emulate the newer non-supported graphical functions via CPU. But it cannot overcome the limitation in texture memory. This same limitation was observed in Rogue Spear: Direct3d in software mode was slow while Direct3d in hardware mode was fast but both showed degraded texturing and some graphical artifacts. There are reports that the Voodoo1 system reduces texture filtering when memory is low, the presumed cause of this problem (alternate explanation is a Voodoo1-specific bug in rendering, whether the driver or from the game itself, such as the use of large fonts).

The capability of the virtual Voodoo1 device should allow Direct3d gaming from 1996 through 1998, nearly all Glide game titles (notable exception is the steeper requirements of Operation Flashpoint), and up to DirectX8 for non-3d games. As an example, I ran Starcraft easily: the framerates were very high, there were no graphical artifacts, and the stability of DosBox was excellent.

The downside is that the Voodoo1 will not run games requiring more than 4mb on a 3d accelerated video card – a vast number of Windows titles. However, there is cause for hope that this is achievable. The missing component is the virtual Voodoo2 device, a device already available in Boch and jDosBox. However, both these two emulators are much slower for different reasons, as compared to DosBox, and have not been designed for running games efficiently. If it was simple to design an emulator for gaming, as DosBox has, then others would have done so. Therefore, we could assume that Bochs or jDosBox could not easily achieve this goal, even though they both have a working virtual Voodoo2 device in software mode and a functioning virtual hard disk controller (IDE).

The other problem is that these virtual Voodoo2 devices do not run in Windows 9x, but require a Windows NT class system or higher. If this and the virtual IDE were ported from jDosBox to DosBox, then this class of operating systems may boot inside DosBox. Also, Voodoo2 would allow support for Warcraft 3 and many other Direct3d/OpenGL games. It would be a flood of Windows games supported by the DosBox platform. This solution would serve the advanced computer user.

But, there is ReactOS, an open source operating system, much like FreeDOS. FreeDOS is already used and distributed via DosBox. The same could be done with ReactOS, so the user has a ready-made Windows compatible system. The user would mount a CD of a game, install, and then play. Also, ReactOS has ported much of the Wine libraries so the gaming compatibility would depend merely on the limitations of the Voodoo2, both in its Direct3d capability and its video memory. I hope to boot ReactOS in Daum’s build of Dosbox without the fully functioning hard disk controller. The other missing component will be the virtual Voodoo2 device which is just one port away, from either Bochs or jDosBox to DosBox. It reportedly was an effort of just one developer to port this device to jDosBox, and so we should hope the same for DosBox. The above is why kekko’s patch is so crucial for Windows gaming.

Edits: updated to show that DirectX5/6/7 will run in the above configuration; also, Direct3D5/6. The graphical artifact is likely an issue with ATI OpenGL support for my specific card.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2013-06-13, 04:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 78, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I just wonder, how difficult would it be to port the existing code for the Voodoo 2 and IDE emulation from jDosBox to a normal build of DosBox? Like you mentioned before, this would open the doors for running all sorts of different games.

One thing I would like to point out though, DosBox does not actually ship with FreeDOS. I believe the emulated version of DOS in DosBox has some of its sources derived from FreeDOS, but it's primarily its own thing.

Another thing too, there are a LOT of Windows games that don't work properly on NT-based operating systems, so even if ReactOS were included, it still wouldn't be of much help for most Windows users such as myself. What I think we need is some sort of open-source Win9x replacement that could potentially be designed with DosBox's emulated hardware in mind.

You've got some great ideas though, and I would love to see them implemented in a future build of DosBox.

Reply 3 of 78, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Another thing too, there are a LOT of Windows games that don't work properly on NT-based operating systems

I've tested quite a few and haven't found as many, I'm curious to see some examples. I've also found that usually the problem doesn't really lie with the NT kernel itself, but the game's installer or the video card and its drivers, along with the way the game accesses CD audio playback (usually solvable with _inmm).

Reply 4 of 78, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK there's no separate V2 code, it's all in kekko's patch...however it might not be enabled by default.
The same goes for IDE code, it's the same code as in ykhwong's version except for the part where the IDE device does not work in Win9x. If you can find the bug, you're welcome to post a fix (the post here would suggest that the problem is in BIOS code and jDosBox has solved it by loading BOCH's bios).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 6 of 78, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
truth5678 wrote:

There are the two major emulators with robust DirectX support for gaming, VirtualBox and VMware.

There is much enthusiastic support for Wine, particularly in Linux, but I also seem to be reading a lot of success stories about using the WineD3D DLLs to get older Windows games running.

By my measure, VMware is the best emulator for Windows gaming, but it is not open source, not portable, and there is no guarantee it will support future operating systems. This solution is not tailored for gaming, significantly more difficult to setup and maintain than DosBox, and requires a license for a supported Windows operating system.

Do you think running Win9x in DOSBox does not require a license for a "supported" Windows operating system? That is advantage of Wine.

Reply 7 of 78, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, in my test builds I boosted v1 memory up to 12mb (4mb front buffer, 4mb x 2 texture units).
Voodoo1 never mounted so much memory, but architecture and drivers (shared with v2+ cards) supported these figures.
I ran flawlessly 1999 games like quake3 and unreal tournament in 800x600 with texture quality at max;
I guess it would even run 2001 games like serious sam, but I never fixed my mmx patch.

Reply 8 of 78, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can vouch for Wine in Linux. It plays a hell of a lot of games you mention fine and even windows Xp/7/8 struggles to run without major patches/ACT fixes. Star Trek New Worlds/Wipeout/Exreme XG2 are games that spring to mind

Reply 9 of 78, by truth_deleted

User metadata
kekko wrote:
well, in my test builds I boosted v1 memory up to 12mb (4mb front buffer, 4mb x 2 texture units). Voodoo1 never mounted so much […]
Show full quote

well, in my test builds I boosted v1 memory up to 12mb (4mb front buffer, 4mb x 2 texture units).
Voodoo1 never mounted so much memory, but architecture and drivers (shared with v2+ cards) supported these figures.
I ran flawlessly 1999 games like quake3 and unreal tournament in 800x600 with texture quality at max;
I guess it would even run 2001 games like serious sam, but I never fixed my mmx patch.

Wow, that would be a perfect Windows 98 setup since the texture memory would increase by 3-fold along with the higher resolution. Even without the fully implemented MMX extension, it was enough to bypass the check in installing DirectX8. I don't recall any MMX check for DirectX7. It does constrain certain DosBox compatibility to about year 2000 for the non-glide, non-opengl 3d games. I am also optimistic for other titles running since Quake3 requires an MMX CPU and 16mb of video RAM, yet it runs without error. If you pick up the MMX project again, however, please let me know if I am able (and capable) to help in debugging.

Your work is brilliant. And thank you for the helpful information! I will recompile with the proper parameter value.

I'm eager to see if the glitches in Rainbow Six are solely caused by low memory; also, there is a small possibility that Warcraft 3 will run without a previously observed error.

Notwithstanding the boundaries of emulation in terms of speed and memory, I believe the Windows gaming compatibility list with an expanded Voodoo1 will be very encompassing.

gulikoza wrote:

The same goes for IDE code, it's the same code as in ykhwong's version except for the part where the IDE device does not work in Win9x. If you can find the bug, you're welcome to post a fix (the post here would suggest that the problem is in BIOS code and jDosBox has solved it by loading BOCH's bios).

That appears to be a straightforward fix, thank you for replying and for your insight! I will look further into this problem.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2013-05-29, 07:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 78, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kekko wrote:

Those are the specs of the Quantum3D Obsidian 50-4440.

Reply 11 of 78, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truth5678 wrote:
Wow, that would be a perfect Windows 98 setup since the texture memory would increase by 3-fold along with the higher resolution […]
Show full quote
kekko wrote:
well, in my test builds I boosted v1 memory up to 12mb (4mb front buffer, 4mb x 2 texture units). Voodoo1 never mounted so much […]
Show full quote

Wow, that would be a perfect Windows 98 setup since the texture memory would increase by 3-fold along with the higher resolution. Even without the fully implemented MMX extension, it was enough to bypass the check in installing DirectX8. I don't recall any MMX check for DirectX7. It does constrain certain DosBox compatibility to about year 2000 for the non-glide, non-opengl 3d games. I am also optimistic for other titles running since Quake3 requires an MMX CPU and 16mb of video RAM, yet it runs without error. If you pick up the MMX project again, however, please let me know if I am able (and capable) to help in debugging.

Your work is brilliant. And thank you for the helpful information! I will recompile with the proper parameter value.

I'm eager to see if the glitches in Rainbow Six are solely caused by low memory; also, there is a small possibility that Warcraft 3 will run without a previously observed error.

Notwithstanding the boundaries of emulation in terms of speed and memory, I believe the Windows gaming compatibility list with an expanded Voodoo1 will be very encompassing.

gulikoza wrote:

That appears to be a straightforward fix, thank you for replying and for your insight! I will look further into this problem.

Quake III only requires 4mb of video ram. I actually used to run it on a 266MHz Pentium II with a Riva 128. It didn't run as well as I would've liked, but it was definitely playable.

Reply 13 of 78, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Q3A patch 1.30+ does demand more vram though because it precaches a LOAD of new crappy explosion textures you don't even normally see.

I never knew that, but yeah, the only version of Q3 I ran on that box before I upgraded the video card was the test demo. I probably should've clarified that.

Reply 15 of 78, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodbat wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Another thing too, there are a LOT of Windows games that don't work properly on NT-based operating systems

I've tested quite a few and haven't found as many, I'm curious to see some examples. I've also found that usually the problem doesn't really lie with the NT kernel itself, but the game's installer or the video card and its drivers, along with the way the game accesses CD audio playback (usually solvable with _inmm).

The only specific examples I can think of is in regards to copy protection or 8-bit color depth requirements.

Ultima 9 (retail, not gog.com) copy-protection scheme that fails to work on all versions of Windows NT. I believe this was some version of safedisc. (Here's you main argument against DRM 😀) Likewise some games if played on Win95 OSR2/Win98 would fail disc-based copy protection tests that passed on Win95.

As for color-depth problems, I know this does show up with Starcraft. You're pretty much unable to play the game without some registry tweaking, and even then you're unable to window it without additional hacky tools. There are also other win98-era games that do work on Windows NT, but are unable to cope with some fancy driver settings (QFG5 is unplayable with Morphological filtering enabled, but can be fixed.)

The only other reason I could think for trying to emulate win95/98 with dosbox is specifically play or record a 256 color game while having access to their host operating system. Old versions of VMWare used to be able to emulate a win9x class machine, and no longer do so.

If the game works in 16-bit or 32-bit color mode, there's usually no reason for it not to work.

Reply 16 of 78, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I do remember playing U9 on Windows XP but that could have been with the last inofficial patch that did away with the protection.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 78, by truth_deleted

User metadata
gulikoza wrote:
kekko wrote:

Thank you again for the guidance. I compiled your code via Daum's build along with your enhanced Voodoo1! It was amazing to behold - the 800x600 resolution looked great in both OpenGL and Direct3D games. There is also a slight speedup if GLQuake is any measure of the difference between the regular and enhanced Voodoo. I did notice a significant speedup in NOLF and Rainbow Six, even at higher resolution. I had no such luck with Warcraft 3, but that difficulty likely lies elsewhere in the DosBox code base. However, it is no small feat to run Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 in DosBox, too! Also, the 2d games run without issue, such as Starcraft and Warlords3, and I have yet to find a game that doesn't from their cohort. As an additional advantage, there appears to be no mouse lag in these games under DosBox which is experienced in other methods of emulation. It's now apparent, as you kindly revealed earlier, that the Direct3D8 games will not yield easily; this for many reasons, including speed, CPU extensions, memory, and DirectX compatibility.

NOLF and Rainbow Six had higher framerates and resolution. But NOLF was still missing textures from the environment and Rainbow Six had vertical lines across the right side of the screen. There are reports of these problems from the physical Voodoo1 card, but I am hopeful that these may be easily fixed via the code base. NOLF represents the Lithtech 3d engine and Rainbow Six's is also used in Rogue Spear and the many expansion packs. At least it is now confirmed that these issues are not related to texture memory size. 😀

I am hopeful that there is source code for the glide2x_emu.ovl file, and wondering whether it is crucial for the video hardware acceleration. If it is available, then that is good news because it shows that this code base will always be portable. The early Windows games, arguably more valuable than the current batch which largely favor graphics over sophisticated gameplay, would last in perpetuity (and hopefully, too, the large manuals accompanying games like Falcon3 and Fallout). Otherwise, we would be left to luck on whether future operating systems are fully compatible with older games; and also that the companies supporting VMware and VirtualBox continue to thrive. This has been mentioned in other posts and is an important lesson in the history of technology, that of unplanned (and perhaps occasionally planned) obsolescence.

On dozens of attempts to compile Daum's build of DosBox, I learnt the wisdom of the words by "wd". Using many dependencies or ones that are dependent on other libraries leads to difficulty in maintaining an important software project. Even from the perspective of a single operating system, the versions of the dependencies and the compilers change over time. As these difficulties compound, then the number of possible ways to solve them becomes very large and uncertain. If anyone has difficulty in compiling the major versions of DosBox, then I can try to answer in this thread while my memory is fresh from these experiences.

I used the freely available Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition without much difficulty, although the recommended version for Daum's is 2012. It did require a change to the sln file to reflect version 11 instead of 12. Likewise, the platform setting inside the compiler must be set to 100 instead of 110. I'll enumerate the larger stumbling blocks on compiling Daum's build, although these emerged for the most part from the dependencies and not the dosbox code itself. I removed the fluidsynth library and set the appropriate config.h setting to "0". I used SourceForge's 3.4 version of pdcurses and not another source which is found by google, since the latter resulted in linker errors. I also did not patch SDL with the openglhq patch, but I did edit the appropriate section of code to allow openglhq to know the full screen resolution. This method allowed use of the ready made SDL libraries for Windows. The other libraries were compiled by various ways as documented by their developers: tbb, gthread/glib, zlib, png, pdcurses, freetype, physfs, sdl_sound, and openglide; wpcap and sdl_net were available as already compiled versions. The DirectX headers and libraries were available through the DirectX SDK version June 2010, from Microsoft. The directory location to all these libraries and headers were entered into the Visual Studio project settings for recognition by the compiler. Also, I compiled any libraries in Visual Studio by the MD method and not MT (MT statically links with the C runtime library). There is advice to use MT instead, but in either case, both require consistency in the library type. Since the default is MD in Visual Studio, many of the publicly available compiled versions are probably compiled by this method. To finally compile Daum's build of DosBox, I excluded libcmt.lib and msvcrtd.lib from the linker. I don't know whether the necessity of this exclusion was from inadvertent use of mixed library types, but practically, it led to a compiled and working executable.

Two libraries which can commonly cause linker problems are zlib and libpng. These are available as already compiled versions, but if you have trouble, try compiling zlib 1.2.5 and libpng 1.6.2. Zlib requires using an assembler to initially compile code, by an accompanying batch: bld_ml32.bat. Once the compiling step is complete, then look for zlibstat.lib. Some of the png code is dependent on this library. Also, if there are errors related to dirent.h, just the header file is required and available via a google search. The only other error I recall is the linker error via external symbol __nhandle. I resolved this by editing dos_network2.h from: extern "C" int variable_name to int variable_name. The compiler should recognize "extern", but it caused a linker error under all tried conditions. Perhaps the 2012 version resolved this? One last note, remember to change the library names in the linker section of Visual Studio to the names of libraries actually compiled or downloaded, not the default names given by the Daum build.

My compiled copy of Daum's build is just a tad slower than the official one, perhaps this was caused by dynamically linking additional libraries, or another possibility is optimizations in the 2012 version of Visual Studio. However, I didn't test all functions, but I'm confident it was worthwhile as the enhanced Voodoo1 is fully working in Windows 98. This enhanced version has added features and this is the result of the diligent efforts by kekko. Since this 8 or 12mb version of the Voodoo 1/2 card is actually available in Windows 98 via Daum's DosBox, there should be no reason to consider installing a Windows NT class system in DosBox; apart from the ability to install ReactOS for a no cost installation (at least for personal use). A downside of ReactOS is it's dependency on Wine for gaming and therefore why is it any better than using another Wine supported OS, such as the Linux variants?

Lastly, since Windows 98 is compatible with this enhanced Voodoo1, is it necessary to incorporate a virtual IDE controller? I've read that the DOS compatibility mode of disk access is not error prone, and in the design of emulation, would the IDE controller lead to faster disk access than otherwise in the case of running Windows 9x?

Reply 19 of 78, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truth5678 wrote:

I am hopeful that there is source code for the glide2x_emu.ovl file, and wondering whether it is crucial for the video hardware acceleration.

glide2x_emu.ovl in Daum build is the original 3dfx glide2x.ovl from the voodoo(2?) driver package. It is not used by DOSBox (the program itself) but by the game running inside (and DOS titles only). The file is loaded from the DOSBox directory and put onto internal Z: drive. This allows the patched dosbox to switch between glide wrapper emulation and 3dfx hadware emulation (simply by switching the ovl file that is available on the z: drive).

If it is available, then that is good news because it shows that this code base will always be portable.

There's not reason for it to be portable as it is only needed inside the emulated dos environment. But probably most of the sources are inside the Glide repository on Sourceforge (no idea if that builds into a usable file though).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza