VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by [ROTT] IanPaulFreeley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone - this is my first post. I have been writing games for DOS and Windows 95 and would like to start sharing some of my games and vintage PC builds here.

When I first started writing for DOS a few years ago, I was doing it all in DOSBox, but sort of got bored with emulation pretty quick. Now, I tolerate no less than writing code on a REAL vintage box, using an old "clicky" keyboard and using a big TV as my monitor. Currently I am using a 486DX2/66 for my DOS development and a Pentium 166 for my Win95 development. (I will soon be unveiling these boxes in another thread once I take some good pictures.)

This is the first game I wrote about 4 years ago using Borland Turbo C++ 3. In this video the game is running in DOSBox so that I could do a video capture. Also, in DOSBox the screen paging is a bit jerky, but on my 486 it's nice and smooth. It's super-simple and the skyscrapers are generated randomly at infinitum. The graphics style is probably more like an early 80's AT/XT or Intellivision game, rather than something from the 486-era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU1h-gX4VM

Hope you think it's neat. Stay tuned for more!

Reply 1 of 1, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks for sharing your work. Interesting what you say about the vintage dev experience. I agree that a modern dev environment takes away some of the fun. However, developing inside an emulator does allow super-fast reboots and easy access to low level system debugging if the code requires. Personally I use Bochs as I feel it's a bit more true to the hardware than DOSBox.