Common searches

Broken 486 MOBO?

Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahhh!!! 😵 is it dead?
Something quite weird going on with a 486 MOBO I have, the most precious one I have...

Here's a little picture of it 😉

cimg6532t.jpg

The computer boots alright but it hangs on boot screen:

cimg6528.jpg

I can get into bios, detects HDD but when I save setting and press the "Save Bios & Restart Computer" the computer doesn't restart, it just hangs there.... I have unplugged everything from MOBO, even the coin batery, and left it rest for a couple of days....tried it again and nothing.....
I've also tried setting Bios to default but no response...
Any ideas? Fried MOBO? Static electricity?

Reply 1 of 50, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set your memory speeds to slowest possible, increase memory latencies.

Disable checking of parity errors if you have that option.

Try other memory sticks.

Unplug turbo cable, keylock cable, etc...

Check if jumper settings for the CPU are absolutely correct! Double check!

Unplug other ISA/PCI cards, try a different VGA card.

I'll try to think of more stuff. But seems to me memory related.

Reply 2 of 50, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I experienced the same kind of hang on my Socket 5 motherboard. I just switched memory sticks and it worked.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, this shit is driving me crazy hehe.
Ok tried different memory sticks, tried different video cards, unplugged turbo cable, keylock cable, etc... .

Al jumper settings checked and doubled checked.....

I didn't set my memory speeds to slowest possible because I didn't know how to. Inside the BIOS but what section is it on?

Any more ideas I could try? I really like this board and I don't think is broken, I'm missing something....what is it.....?

Reply 6 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AHHHH!!! What an entertainingweekend I'm having. I'm getting to the point of throwing all 486's motherboards out the windows and just pluggin in a Socket 7 MOBO.

Ok, so I bought several capacitors, changed the one I thought was faulty and....the Motherboard does not turn on. Fu*$!! Gone, finito, kaput, hasta luego lucas.

My precious board, I really liked that board with its "dirty bit" which I never got to know what it did... I'm going on Monday to buy several capacitors and try fix the MOBO. This is NOT OVER!!

Meanwhile I'm trying to put on a recently adquired MICRO-STAR MS-4144 PCI Motherboard
But, issues my friends, 486 's are troublemakers...they won't work out of the box...no sir...
they make you sweat and sweat which is ok in the Winter, but not right now, not in the Spanish Summer time....oh lord! How easily angry and frustrated I get with the heat..

Keep in mind I'm alone right now, my girlfriend is gone so I need to talk about my 486's frustrations with you lot, so please be patient!

Ok back to the matter. I'm having some IRQ related problems. This is what shows up when I boot the computer:

frnv.jpg

This shows up and it hangs.

IRQ in the BIOS is set to Automatic as you can see in the following picture:

dmfw.jpg

I have an S3 Trio64V+ in PCI Slot 1, that's all.

Any ideas my friends?

Reply 7 of 50, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's normal, since there are no PCI cards that use IRQs the bios just reports "None"
What if you turn on the option "ASSIGN IRQ FOR VGA" ? will it use one?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I think it's normal, since there are no PCI cards that use IRQs the bios just reports "None"
What if you turn on the option "ASSIGN IRQ FOR VGA" ? will it use one?

I don't see that option in the BIOS keropi.
I tried setting up manually. It reports at start up, that Slot 3 is IRQ 10, the rest appear as NONE. Just like the picture above.
But still, that computer hangs.

Reply 9 of 50, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, maybe this BIOS does not have the option being old and such, it just leaves it to the vga's jumper setting...
I think that this IRQ behaviour is normal, just try and stick some pci soundcard and see if it gets an IRQ... the hanging issue must be something else.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You were right Keropi. What happened is that the HDD I had was over 2 Gb and does not work with this MOBO. It work with the last one, but not with this one. What a pitty....oh well...
thanx a lot mate!

Reply 12 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I replaced the 10v capacitors with 16v ones which should also work of I'm not wrong.
I'm still going to keep trying when I buy new ones.
Also checked ratings and all of them suposedly worked....no clue....
I'l try to post more info on the matter. I'm actually quite clumsy when it comes to electronics, soldering, etc.

Obrigadao carlostex.

Reply 13 of 50, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm clumsy to electronics true. But i've learned that it's of the utmost importance to replace capacitors with the same ratings. Not only voltage but also uF values. For instance when i had to replace caps on one of my motherboards, i got exactly equal rating caps, and then chose high quality ones. A bit more expensive but they are worth. That board is working better than before.

Reply 14 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I'm clumsy to electronics true. But i've learned that it's of the utmost importance to replace capacitors with the same ratings. Not only voltage but also uF values. For instance when i had to replace caps on one of my motherboards, i got exactly equal rating caps, and then chose high quality ones. A bit more expensive but they are worth. That board is working better than before.

Hope I can get this MOBO running again! I'm going tomorrow to look for the right capacitors. I'll post results later tomorrow.

Reply 15 of 50, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

when shopping for replacement capacitors you only need to watch for 2 things:
a. same capacitance
b. equal or more voltage tolerance

so a 16v capacitor is just fine in the place of a 10v one, provided both have the same capacitance... the voltage rating is not an absolute value , it's the upper limit that the capacitor is guaranteed to work.

Reply 19 of 50, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok here's the damage. Please don't laugh. I know 🙁 I'm a beast!
This is how you shouldn't do it kids!

2zih.jpg

pe9q.jpg

4zcb.jpg

Changed de 10v and 1000F to 10V and 1500F
and the 50v 10F to 63v and 10F