VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anybody remembers this fine RPG/dungeon crawler? Actually I have a bit of a problem with this one. Every time I exit the game, DOS4GW crashes witn error 0Dh, indicating a general protection fault, and freezes the PC (only the Reset button helps). I played the CD Rip version earlier on the DosBox, and the same problem occured. At first I thought it's a rip version/DB issue, but it also happens on an actual old PC with DOS, using the original game CD.

At first I tried to patch the game to 1.1 version, as the readme suggested, that the crashing issue should be fixed in 1.1, and if it doesn't help - turning off the sound in setup will. Well guess what, patching didn't help, the game still crashes, and it's not really that fancy to play without any music/sounds, eh?
Did a bit of research by myself, found out several other games also crashed in a similar way, all because of the PATH variable in autoexec. Suggestions told to change it to 250 characters or less. Welp, that didn't help either (actually I didn't have any PATH set in the autoexec to begin with, but that's another story)

So - anybody else stumbled upon this error? Any way to fix it? Playing without sound isn't that great, and that PC-freezing-and-resetting-every-time-I-finish-playing issue gets very tiring pretty quick.

Reply 1 of 5, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It never happened for me and i used the cd rip and the GOG (in dosbox only though) release.
Does it work with music only?

And what is your soundcard?

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

strange, haven't got this error and I am running the game from FAT32/DOS7.1 ... my updated version is "ANVIL OF DAWN PATCH, v1.1b95" btw
Like Stefan_L asks, what is your sound setup?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think this is a known issue that was fixed in a patch.

Anvil of dawn patch 1.1

Anvil of Dawn Patch 1.1 readme wrote:
1. Improvements […]
Show full quote

1. Improvements

* Fixes the crash upon exiting the game on MOST systems. We have found that
the crash is sound card related and recommend that if you still experience
the crash, to turn the sound off.

* Corrects the problem with entering Gorge Keep from the northern entrance
and getting stuck when the portcullis is shut.

* The armour rating now works correctly (It will no longer say 'unarmoured'
when you are wearing armour).

* Several graphic problems have been cleared up.

Reply 5 of 5, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, when I run the game with the sound turned off (no digital device selected) no crash occurs at exiting. Music doesn't seem to be affecting it, as it works with or without MIDI playback.

My card is Yamaha OPL3-SAx with 0x220, D1 and I5 settings (port 388 for MIDI). Sound works mighty fine ingame. Tried fiddling with different configurations (changing the type from Pro to normal Sound Blaster, manually assigning IRQ to 7), but the crash is still present.

@eL_PuSHeR - yes, that's the patch I used on my version. Sadly it didn't help, as the game still crashed on exiting.
@Jorpho - right, I'll try to swap the files later.

EDIT: in case anybody would be interested in the error itself - http://imageshack.us/a/img41/4716/ba0r.png
Screenshot is from DosBox, but the same exact thing apprears on my old gaming PC as well.