VOGONS

Common searches

Admin request: Tapatalk support

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dear admins, I would like to ask if it is possible to integrate the famous forum app Tapatalk into the Vogons phpBB.

It is free and the installation effort is quite minor.
Details can be found here: http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

As there is currently no "mobile version" of the site this would really be a great benefit for all smartphone users.

Cheers!

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 2 of 52, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When we were recreating the VOGONS theme for phpBB3, I had a mobile theme on the test board, but Qbix didn't install it here. Besides the theme itself, it only required the addition of a "mobile.php" and a small edit of the "session.php" to enable auto detection.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 52, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please, please, please don't put VOGONS on tapatalk. I fucking hate it when I'm browsing the web on my phone, and I click a random link and it wants me to install tapatalk just for some random forum I don't even frequent. I think tapatalk is a lazy way of avoiding coding an actual mobile site.

Granted, if there were an app for VOGONS, I might be tempted to use it, since I do actually frequent this forum.

Reply 4 of 52, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sure, please let us get tapatalk and everytime I open vogons I'll just love the popup asking me to install tapatalk or open the site in the app... Great!

Seriously, yes, the mobile test version looked useable 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 52, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tapatalk is a free app for quite some time, so please inform yourselfs before you start whining like little girlies 😁

Reply 6 of 52, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No one doubts it is free. We just think it is an annoying app.
Please read what we write before bheaving like a little fan boy 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 52, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schlang wrote:

tapatalk is a free app for quite some time, so please inform yourselfs before you start whining like little girlies 😁

Like I said, it just annoys the hell out of me when I'm randomly googling and I come across some post on a forum I'm not even a member of, and it asks me to install tapatalk to view it. It's a lazy way out of coding an actual mobile site, and it makes it hard for people who are simply looking for information on their phones.

leileilol wrote:

Imagine the rush of people complaining about some phone version of DOSBox not working on their phone from their phone.....

The situation we have is already bad enough. 🤣 I seriously think there should be a big splashpage before entering the forums that says something along the lines of "if you're here for advice on abandonware, non-gaming applications, non-PC versions of DosBox, or running Win95 on DosBox, then GTFO!" 🤣

Reply 9 of 52, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Seriously, yes, the mobile test version looked useable 😉

I have been using that mobile style on SHP's forums for a while now and have only had positive reports from my mobile users.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 52, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well I like the app, and I believe I'm not the only one.
also I don't see the big issue here, omg you have to click once on a cancel button when you first enter a forum...

if there is a mobil version I would really appreciate it because I (and many others) must zoom and mess around on EVERY page to read the content properly.

please don't be offended but just because you don't need does not automatically mean it's useless for everyone 😀

Reply 11 of 52, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schlang wrote:

well I like the app, and I believe I'm not the only one.
also I don't see the big issue here, omg you have to click once on a cancel button when you first enter a forum...

The issue is the same as it is for all those demo versions of games that bring up nag screens every five minutes: It interrupts your experience and makes you less inclined to continue using something.

Not everyone is going to like Tapatalk, regardless of how free it is, and those who don't like it are going to REALLY not like having to click a cancel button related to it every time they visit a site they love because it's constantly reminding them of software they don't care about like an advertisement. Said site would rapidly become a site they don't visit because of this.

Any time you try to "enhance" the experience of your program or service for your users, and said enhancement requires the user to agree to things they didn't have to before, or install things they don't want to use, many of them are going to turn away and never look back. Google recently did such a change by forcing everyone on YouTube to also be on Google+ in order to post comments on YouTube videos. Yes, Google+ is free, but it's a freaking headache for lots of people to use and led to several technical problems for me that no one had any answers to, forcing me to solve them myself. Heck, I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around some of what it does, and I'm only doing it for sake of the viewers of my web show who want to watch it on YouTube. Without them, that change would've driven me off of YouTube. :P

So yeah, interrupting the user's experience with your service or software is a very poor practice, and since Tapatalk does this you're not going to find any love for it from people who don't already use it.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 52, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will only be asked the first time you enter a site - not every page you visit.

So all of you people who are afraid that their "experience" on their mobile devices will be ruined - please explain me HOW you actually use the Vogons forum on your mobile devices. Visiting a page, zoom in, zoom out, scroll down, zoom again etc. you call this "experience"??

Reply 13 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there is a vote, you can add me to the NO list. And I am OFTEN on this site on my mobile. Now if there was a way to auto detect resolution and scale accordingly, i'd be open to that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 52, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You are right that it's not exactly a good experience on a smartphone but before integrating nagware like Tapatalk I'd rather have a working mobile style. It's a matter of principles, I've been angry at the tapatalk nagging so often that I hate it from deep down.
Everything that screems that much for attention must be very evil!

Reply 16 of 52, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oh and just googling tapatalk security is enough to not want it on my phone abd especially not on this site.

Also, aside from the security issue, if I understand correctly, so correct me if I'm wrong, the free tapatalk app shows ads? So an add free forum is seen through tapatalk with ads?