VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Windows 98 box already and I am now looking to build a real DOS box for older games.

I want maximum compatibility with DOS games. I cannot say which games because when I really got into computers was about the time Quake 1 came out and I am not very familiar with a lot of the older games. I do not care if this box has enough speed to play something as demanding as Quake.

Video Card:
I poked around the forums and found this link http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ and have decided on an S3 Savage 4 based card. I just ordered one of these brand new (new old stock). http://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/s3-graphics/diamond-s … 3-savage-4-pro/ I might be interested in reflashing the BIOS with modified lower core and memory speeds for longer card life, not sure if it's worth it.

That is only one piece of the puzzle but it's a start. I will update as I make progress.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am looking very intently at getting a SoundBlaster Pro v2.0 sound card. Thoughts?

Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau1wurf1977

I am planning to use one of my ECS P5GX-M boards with a Geode 200-MHz CPU to cut costs (Underclocked to 150-MHz and disable L2 Cache in BIOS). Life happens sometimes and I have been away for a while. I never did get you one of those boards to test/play with. Contact me and I will get one sent soon.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 48, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squareguy wrote:

I am looking very intently at getting a SoundBlaster Pro v2.0 sound card. Thoughts?

No MPU-401, No MIDI daughterboards header... OPL3 only or you will need to add an another sound card for better MIDI restitution...

Reply 4 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Geode-200mhz build? that's a rare choice, I wonder how well it performs
SBPro2.0 will give you nice SB sounds but you do need something for midi as darksheer mentions, unless you don't care about that...

My main DOS pc is a classic 200mhz p1 build with a MVP-3 mobo, riva128zx vga, a SB16, a MPU card and now a GUS , it's the classic Mau1wurf1977 build with some user preference customizations 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 48, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

some user preference customizations 🤣

That is important! That is also why I approve of a Geode 200-MHz CPU 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 48, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Geode-200mhz build? that's a rare choice, I wonder how well it performs
SBPro2.0 will give you nice SB sounds but you do need something for midi as darksheer mentions, unless you don't care about that...

My main DOS pc is a classic 200mhz p1 build with a MVP-3 mobo, riva128zx vga, a SB16, a MPU card and now a GUS , it's the classic Mau1wurf1977 build with some user preference customizations 🤣

Don't you have any Turbo Pascal issues with a 200 mhz cpu under DOS ? Or can it be avoided by desactivating cache ? Because having to fix EXE files is just annoying 😒

Reply 7 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ very few and there are a couple of tsr programs that fix that, not really a problem... the problem is more serious after 200mhz AFAIK
I find it more of a problem games that are speed-sensitive. But ICACHE.EXE works wonders disabling caches from the command line.
I wouldn't trade the flexibility of a ss7 machine , I have made several 286/386/486 builds in the past but nothing stuck so far as the ~8+ years p1 build I use

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 48, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ICACHE seems to be very useful.
The first computer I used for dos games was a K6 233 u/c @ 133 with a pci cirrus logic card and a SB16.
Games were running fine on it but I enjoy them better on my 386 and 486's 😁

Reply 9 of 48, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I wouldn't trade the flexibility of a ss7 machine , I have made several 286/386/486 builds in the past but nothing stuck so far as the ~8+ years p1 build I use

I agree. Like you my main DOS PC is a Pentium 200mhz. W/ ATI Mach64vt, 16MB SIMM, epox ep-5bvpxa, and an OPL3 chip sound card. I absolutely love the sound of Midi!!

Anything DOS gaming related I throw at it, it eats up. As much as it is nice to use era specific hardware, sometimes it is nicer to have a machine that is capable of all the games one has; that aren't tied to CPU clock rates anyway. 😈

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 10 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I am leaning heavily on a SoundBlaster Pro v2.0 for the main reason of 100% SoundBlaster/AdLib compatibility, which should cover just about anything. I can then build on top of that when/if I ever choose, or am I wrong?

Trying to decide on operating system now. MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 95B, or Windows 98SE with it's GUI replaced with Windows 95B files (VIA 98lite). I will not use that integrated Internet Explorer garbage desktop. I even considered Free-DOS but I am not sure of its compatibility. I have no love of WDM drivers and the hardware will be pretty old anyways. It is nice to have a GUI though to configure things and move files around.

I might possibly use a Gateway 2000 TX Motherboard with a Pentium 200MMX underclocked to 120-MHz. Putting the board on the bench soon to check it out. It has more PCI and ISA slots.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 11 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SB Pro 2 is an awesome card! But no MIDI options for MT-32 or General MIDI. So it always depends on what games you actually want to play.

MS-DOS 6.22 > 4 x 2 GB partitions
MS-DOS 7.1 (comes with Windows 98 SE) > large partition support such as 32 GB or 64 GB

When it comes to configuring CD-ROM, mouse and memory you might find my tutorial handy: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/cd-rom-mouse- … t-up-files.html

Personally I like using MS-DOS 6.22 but you quickly run out of storage space with later games that have speech.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a Sound Blaster Pro v2.0 (CT1600), even has the manual. I think the plan for sound is this card and possibly adding a Roland SCC-1 or external MIDI later on.

Mau1wurf1977

I think I have decided to use Windows 98 SE, replace GUI files with Windows 95b VIA 98lite and have it set to always boot to pure DOS 7.1. Then fire up Windows as needed. Have you ever done that? It makes Windows 98 about as fast as 95 by swapping the GUI out to the pre-integrated Internet Explorer crap. Just don't use files from Windows 95C as it already has the integrated Internet Explorer.

I will grab a modern IDE hard drive (Plenty of NOS Western Digitals available here) and set it up with a single 32GB partition. Keep it simple 😉

EDIT: Then again years ago I ran DOS 7.1 and for some reason I remember having to use DosVer from here http://ansis.lv/dosver/index.en.php to get certain things to work. Cannot remember why I had to use it but I do not think it was for any games. I think if I remember right I installed DOS 7.1 by building a batch file to extract all needed files from the cab files and building an installer CD. Seems like I superimposed the missing programs and utilities from DOS 6.22 and that's where the DosVer utility came into play to make it all work correctly. Cannot why I did it other than for giggles.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 13 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT1600 SBPRO2 is a good dos card.
Easy to combine it with other cards just need its mixer set or its to dang quiet.
I have one currently combined with a CT3670 on a machine I'm currently messing with, works great gives the AWE midi out-put an somewhat of a lowpass filter when ran through the pro.

No GUI with 9x? don't think you need 98lite for that tho...
GUI=0 in MSDOS.SYS
Its perfectly safe to do that, 9x boots like a 6.22\3.11 machine.
Can make your own boot menu's then.

Reply 14 of 48, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I probably wasn't clear. Swapping the GUI files for those occasions when I am in Windows, otherwise I will be in DOS.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 15 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squareguy wrote:

EDIT: Then again years ago I ran DOS 7.1 and for some reason I remember having to use DosVer from here http://ansis.lv/dosver/index.en.php to get certain things to work. Cannot remember why I had to use it but I do not think it was for any games. I think if I remember right I installed DOS 7.1 by building a batch file to extract all needed files from the cab files and building an installer CD. Seems like I superimposed the missing programs and utilities from DOS 6.22 and that's where the DosVer utility came into play to make it all work correctly. Cannot why I did it other than for giggles.

The Creative cards pickup that it isn't MS-DOS. But only if you installed Windows 98 from the CD, not if you manually installed it by formatting the drive and copying all required DOS files. I made a guide about this and the video is on YT but it's an early video, a bit boring and long.

So for this case Creative has a MS-DOS mode driver that does run fine on a Windows 98 machine in MS-DOS mode.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The Creative cards pickup that it isn't MS-DOS. But only if you installed Windows 98 from the CD, not if you manually installed it by formatting the drive and copying all required DOS files. I made a guide about this and the video is on YT but it's an early video, a bit boring and long.

So for this case Creative has a MS-DOS mode driver that does run fine on a Windows 98 machine in MS-DOS mode.

Interesting... Its not an issue for NON PNP cards like the pro2, but I've been wondering how to get around that for PNP cards that use CTCM
Now the reason why does this work? where is the creative utility looking to find the dos version?

Reply 17 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Interesting... Its not an issue for NON PNP cards like the pro2, but I've been wondering how to get around that for PNP cards that use CTCM
Now the reason why does this work? where is the creative utility looking to find the dos version?

There is a MS-DOS mode compatible version of CTCM. My Internet is being silly so I can't check it out but it was under downloads for the AWE64. I'm planning on covering this again, as a follow up to my latest MS-DOS mode tutorial.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative support site?
Or Vogons driver library?
Creative's site it seems to be down for me too.

is the update with it CTCMBBS.EXE??
Could be CTCMAPI.EXE too?? this lists itself as a TSR to install CTCM.
That is on the Awemans Soundblaster compilation CD under MISC.

Reply 19 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm you're right, CTCM might cause issues. It's been a while since I've tried this out. I might give it a go this evening 😀

EDIT: Ok quickly tested them, all good. Confirmed working with an AWE64 Gold under Windows 98SE shutting down into MS-DOS mode as well as cold booting > F8 > DOS

Attachments

• Filename
    PnP drivers.zip
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My YouTube channel