VOGONS

First post, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All legit DOS versions of lemmings perform a media check. I know of at least three versions. there maybe more.

1) original 5 1/4 floppy version. The install disk is a key disc. The game will occasionally ask for it when starting, but not all the time. about 8 or nine times it will run without bothering you about the disk, then it will ask again until it finds it.
2) 3 1/2 inch floppy version. this also has the key disk check, but does it EVERY TIME. very inconvenient.
3) DOS CD version. this one also checks media every time i think, but it also wants the CD in the drive to play it's redbook audio. there is a fix mentioned for this one on forums somewhere, as I recall.

I owned the 5 1/4 version, and, like many, quickly found out how to bypass the check, provided you can get it to pass once. after the game has verified the key disk, and exited, you can type

attrib +r russell.dat

to stop it from ever requesting the disk again. this is, naturally, a big boon. It also, naturally helps out with dosbox. Oh No! More Lemmings is protected as well, using the same method (just a different hidden .dat file)

Since I no longer have a working 5 1/4 floppy, it's kinda difficult to install the thing. but for those who do have both the disk and a floppy to use it on...

if you mount your floppy drive in DOSBOX, does the installer run? if so, does the key disk check pass?

If the answers are yes and yes, if you have the 5 1/4 version the workaround listed here works fine. If you have the 3 1/2 version, its' been patched to never create russell.dat, and thus will check every time. In that case, there IS a solution.

On a certain Really old crack site, there's a working DOS lemmings crack, which includes a copy of russell.dat for you. after installing put it in there, and run LEMX.COM, then make russell.dat read only as above. Even though it never creates the file, it will still look for it.

If the installer works, but the keydisk check fails. the crack i'm talking about solves that problem too. if it's okay to discuss it, i'll say where it is.

If the installer fails to work, then you might be able to copy the files from the floppy and use the crack, but i can't test this anymore.

would appreciate it if someone who CAN do this test do it, as I can't anymore.

on 32 bit operating systems i suspect the installer will run just fine, but the jury is out on the key disk. again I can't test. on 64 bit or non windows OS you will have to run the installer under dosbox, and i don't know if that even works.

Reply 1 of 1, by zinc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some testing of the Lemmings games I own (mounted in DOSBox using the -t floppy switch);

Lemmings - 3.5"

Installs fine through DOSBox but keeps asking for Lemmings disk when trying to run the game. If provided with a 'good' russell.dat file the game then runs fine. The readonly trick will also work here. My disk appears to act exactly as the same as the 5.25 version and not like the 3.5" version you describe.

Oh No! More Lemmings - 3.5" (standalone edition, original Lemmings not required)

Installs fine through DOSBox. Appears to not have disk-based copy protection as will ask for a number from a certain page in the manual.

Oh No! More Lemmings - 5.25" (standalone edition, original Lemmings not required)

Comes on two disks - one for EGA/VGA and one for Tandy. Behaves the same as the 3.5" disk version.

Lemmings Double Pack - CD

Installer basically copies over two executable files for each game to the hard drive. These EXEs then look for the CD to load the rest of the game files.

I thought it interesting that the install program of Oh No! More Lemmings mentions being written by Russell Kay - I guess we know who came up with the copy protection scheme!

Unfortunately my 5.25" drive is installed in a Compaq Deskpro EN machine running Windows XP so I haven't been able to test the diskettes in plain DOS.

Hope this helps though.