VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TomTom

User metadata

I'm trying to operte dosbox under win2k but when I open an hebrew app naturally all I get is gibrish. Any Ideas?

Reply 1 of 29, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TomTom wrote:

I'm trying to operte dosbox under win2k but when I open an hebrew app naturally all I get is gibrish. Any Ideas?

Well, as you already expected this behaviour, why even ask this question? Coding Hebrew support yourself seems the only option (I doubt it will be supported). What I find interesting: what do you mean by "gibberish", and how did the program run in real DOS? Did it use some codepage?

JAL

Reply 2 of 29, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By gibberish he means western characters instead of Hebrew ones.

Is there a site for DOS fonts? If so could someone give us a link?
Hebrew dos font would (partly?) fix the problem.

Reply 3 of 29, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChaosFish wrote:

Is there a site for DOS fonts? If so could someone give us a link?

I'm not sure there is, although searching on "DOS fonts" in Google returns many links (don't know how useful though). We could of course extract the fonts from the DOS codepage files, they're pretty straight forward 😀.

JAL

Reply 4 of 29, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found it!
fntcol16.zip

Extact to some folder and from DOSBox use loadfont heb-mid.f14 (or any other .f14 font, there are severals hebrew fonts there)

If you're looking for DOS fonts archive, I found it, click here!

Reply 5 of 29, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a DOS CPI file for Hebrew (code page 862). It would be nice if DOSbox could use them to load a certain code page (yes, I did not check any DOSbox reference material to check whether DOSbox can or cannot do this, so I risk being flamed), so there wouldn't be a need for special fontloaders etc.

I wrote a little Windows program that can display CPI-files, but as it doesn't seem possible to attach a file here, if anyone's interested drop me an e-mail at jal at hacom dot nl.

JAL

Reply 10 of 29, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This is not possible at the moment, maybe the next
version will support fonts (don't know about hebrew,
are the .CPIs available somewhere?).

But you can install ms-dos (image support of dosbox)
and use the "mode con cp ..." to change the codepage.

wd

Reply 12 of 29, by dirkhaim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:
This is not possible at the moment, maybe the next version will support fonts (don't know about hebrew, are the .CPIs available […]
Show full quote

This is not possible at the moment, maybe the next
version will support fonts (don't know about hebrew,
are the .CPIs available somewhere?).

But you can install ms-dos (image support of dosbox)
and use the "mode con cp ..." to change the codepage.

wd

I have the CPIs for Hebrew, it was a challenge getting them, but I made it at the end.

I didn't get the second part of your answer. What is this image support of dosbox? and how can it help me?

thanks.

Reply 15 of 29, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't use the files dirkhaim linked to!

That page has 3 related files: the first two (which are meant for full screen only, anyway) don't work in either Windows or DOSBox, and the last one is meant for Windows.

Sure, the last one works, but it edits your Windows' system.ini file, puts a file in your "windows\fonts" folder and requires you to edit either cmd.exe or your specific program's window properties. Why working so hard when you want to use DOSBox anyway? It's much easier to use ChaosFish's method...except that "loadfont" doesn't work. You must use "withfont" instead. The difference is that "withfont" is only good for a certain program.

For example, simply start DOSBox and then use:

withfont heb-mid.f14 program.exe

where "program.exe" is your program or game.

P.S.
"loadfont.exe" & "withfont.exe" (and heb-mid.f14) are files included inside that "fntcol16.zip" file ChaosFish linked to.

Last edited by lwc on 2005-08-27, 22:24. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 18 of 29, by dirkhaim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you downloaded the wrong file from the link I gave you
I didn't edit anything
all I had to do was run the command VGA-HEB.EXE before running th hebrew app
http://yizhar.mvps.org/files/VGA-HEB.EXE

Enjoy, and let me know if it works for other apps. I am curious.