VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently got my first computer, an Amstrad CPC 464 working again... the contact in the power switch had oxidised enough to stop it working. Have discovered that I can load tape images from my phone using one of those shonky tape line-in adaptors, which is cool 😎

Next I need to build a SCART cable for it so I can get some colour graphics... can't believe I used to play games on that green screen.
Also need a joystick of some kind.

Anyone else with an 8-bit micro in their retro collection?

3ptyU4jl.jpg

Reply 1 of 18, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SBFxY2U.jpg

CPC6128 here! I actually bought it with the colour monitor, which went up in smoke and flames only 5 minutes after purchase, then used a scart cable on a TV, and now I've "upgraded" to a green GT65 😀

Got a C64 too in the attic somewhere.

Reply 2 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's my C64 which I've been banging on about for a while now, but it's brought me countless hours of joy. My most recent project was desoldering a couple of key chips and installing sockets.

DSCN1622_zpshcrnexqy.jpg

I also have a C128DCR stashed away for a rainy day, also a fun machine:

IMG_4599_zps185e9c71.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 18, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a small pile of them, but they're tucked away in boxes while I prepare to move house, so no photos...

Sinclair ZX Spectrum+ (Not a 128K, just a 48K in the QL-style casing)
C=64 Breadbox
Apple IIgs
Tandy TRS-80 CoCo2
Panasonic MSX-2
Atari XE65

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 18, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a few myself which don't see action often. Might post pics later.

Tandy CoCo 3
Yamaha CX5M (MSX)
Apple IIe
Apple IIgs (technically counts)

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My curriculum starts on 1985, when my parents bought a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +. Now, I've got these 8 bit systems (most of them have some modifications):

- My Sinclair ZX Spectrum +. The same my parents bought. I had to repair the keyboard, replace a blown up 7805 and I made a composite video output (for new TV sets), so it now has RF + composite video output.
- A Harlequin. It is a modern clone of a ZX Spectrum 48k, using the same PCB size (and it has the same connectors). I bought the PCB and components, and soldered it about two years ago. It lives inside a ZX Spectrum + case (with a new keyboard membrane) and it has a dual ROM switch with the original Sinclair ROM and OpenSE.
- ZX Spectrum +3. It was a english +3, but I replaced keyboard (with a spanish one) and then replaced ROMs with spanish +3e ROMs, converting it in a spanish +3e. Also, I repaired some hardware bugs (related to sound output) and made another composite video output for this. I has now RF, RGB SCART and composite video output.
- Amstrad CPC 6128. It was my wife first computer, but had a faulty floppy drive. I replaced the floppy drive with one from a CPC 6128+, and put it a ROM selector (to choose between AMSDOS and PARADOS). I've got no space to store the original green phosphor monitor, so I made it a CPC to SCART cable and I have a picoATX PSU to provide power.
- Amstrad CPC464+. A friend gave me this one. I've upgraded it to almost a 6128+ (RAM and FDC mods, but no internal FDD).

Also, I have some extra hardware for my 8 bit computers, like:
- A modified floppy cable to connect a standard 3.5 floppy drive to Amstrad CPC 6128 and Spectrum +3.
- Another modified floppy drive cable, to connect a standard drive to Amstrad CPC 6128+ (for the upgraded 464+).
- A HxC floppy disk emulator.
- A picoATX PSU, with cables for powering +3, CPCs and external floppies.
- A divIDE (HDD interface for ZX Spectrum).

Also, I've had some ZX Spectrum +2A that I repaired and fitted with composite output. I sold out them all, because I'm starting to have too many computers at home.

On the 16 bit side, I've got an Amiga 500 (with TV modulator) and a HP 200LX. Besides that I've got a 486DX2 and a Pentium MMX 166 systems, but I'm not going to keep them.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome to see that the 8-bits are being taken care of. I had some time to carry on restoring my 464 last night. As a bit of back story, my Dad bought this from Dixons in London around 1987 and would have had to lug it back on the train to Yorkshire. I wanted to fettle the tape drive a little and see if any games would load. First step was to replace the rubber band inside the drive.

Lots of empty space
HcNWWQ0l.jpg

Main board with Z80 and AY sound chip
ENYC4bzl.jpg

Old-school tape drive
HnIigpil.jpg

New band on top, old stretched band on the bottom
bIMVhK6l.jpg

Lots of awesome games, but will any still work after 25 years in the garage?
YYyPQ6Ll.jpg

Cleaned tape heads with some isopropyl
jvMcRBRl.jpg

Kids' games were a bit gruesome in the 80's
QgLNPlwl.jpg

After all that, some games work fine, but others have problems loading so I might play around with the head alignment a bit.

Reply 7 of 18, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lovely pics. I'm really ejoying this. But, 1987? Wow. How may new computers retailed with tape decks that late? The 3.5 was already commonplace.

I can remember the year, but I was taking a break from personal computers so direct contact memories of that time are spotty. The way I was recalling it, tapes were pretty much discarded right after the the PET and VIC20. This was in Canada for me though, do appreciate this stuff was much more expensive in Europe then, so there was a bit of an adoption lag.

Reply 8 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah 86/87. This was the cheapest CPC package and could be had for around £200, or even less. I do remember that at this time we had BBC micros at school with 5.25" floppies, but the cost was prohibitive for a lot of families.

Reply 9 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I know that here a 1541 floppy drive cost as much as the machine (C64) itself! I also have a small collection of machines, but I rarely use any of them:

Texas Instruments TI-99
VIC-20
C16
Atari XE65
Mattel Aquarius
Atmos Oric
C64 (x3)
C64C (x3)
C128 (x2)
SVI 328
SVI 328 MK II
SVI 728 x2
SVI 738 X'press
MSX 2+
Amstrad CPC 464
Amstrad CPC 6128
ZX Spectrum 128

Reply 10 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got some games to load after fiddling with the tape head alignment. Still some tweaking to do I think.
Also need to build that SCART cable, green screen really sucks 🤣

2RieUJol.jpg
Xmxr2LYl.jpg
l825fKbl.jpg

Reply 11 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We have colour. This would have blown my mind as a kid. Fortunately I was able to just imagine the colours back then 🤣

Got tapes loading reliably after a lot of messing with the alignment. Got to say they've faired a lot better than the floppy disks in the garage. Much lower data density I guess.

9P5QwvVl.jpgv6m9HYbl.jpgQ54o2Lyl.jpg

Reply 12 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Apple IIc stored somewhere, but it hasn't been used in years. I'm kind of afraid to find out what condition the 5.25" floppies are in. They were still good last time I used them, but that was several years ago.

A friend of mine had a C64. That computer must have had the slowest floppy drive ever, but once the games managed to load it was a much, much better gaming machine than the Apple ever was. Apple's graphics and sound were so horrid it was hard to get excited about, even back then.
I wish I had a C64 or Atari 800 back then instead of the Apple. Who knows, in that alternate reality I might not have ever become a NES fan. I might have never gotten into consoles at all.. weird.
The Apple taught me programming though, and that's what I really treasure about it. The dumbest, cheesiest BASIC programs I ever wrote are on those old floppies.

Reply 16 of 18, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice!

I'm trying to build a homebrew Z80 CP/M machine using some recycled parts from an old HP Protocol Analyzer.

So far I have a pile of chips and a schematic! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 18 of 18, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

it's a Clone

Of course it's a clone... Still really neat though!

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt