VOGONS

First post, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, I bought a Dell Dimension XPS T600 which apparently was in working condition. I tested out the computer only to find out that nothing seems to power up. It was connected to a CRT monitor and nothing worked when I pressed the power button. No matter how long or how hard I pressed the power button it did not work. I thought that the power supply was somehow broken due to to age since the computer was from around 1999. I had switched the power supply to one that I believe was working and I am sure you guessed my efforts were to no avail. I opened up the computer and powered the computer and it was not working, again the same issue. No beeps or anything on the motherboard just dead silence. This is not some idiotic mistake where I forgot to plug the computer in or all the cords like the IDE cords of the power supply were not plugged in. Now I come to you citizens of VOGONS to figure out my issue because I have no clue what the issue is.

Since the case is an ATX case should I just strip the motherboard out and replace with another one(I have a Intel 440 BX-2) and also replace the power supply to another one. I do not have any spare Power Supplies. Any recommendations for a Power Supply?
BTW, I plan to put a 3DFX Voodoo 3500 TV in there. Not sure if I need more Watts from a power supply. Currently the power supply is 200W.

Reply 1 of 6, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitely. If you tried using a standard ATX power supply, then that motherboard is toast. Dell used the same connector as a standard ATX power supply but switched the wires around. Likewise, the original Dell power supply is only to be used on Dell motherboards of similar vintage.

Reply 2 of 6, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did use the Dell OEM power supply but that did not work so I switched the power supply and put a Dell GX150 power supply into it. I am guessing the motherboard is toasted now. In that case should I just use the Intel 440 BX-2 and a standard ATX power supply? If so which power supply?

Reply 3 of 6, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if the power supply has not startet then the board can be still alive.

Use the right power supply.. u know the one from dell which came with the pc.

If you press the power button, did the fan in the power supply start?

if not, check mainboard connectors, is the power switch connected to the right pins?

Reply 4 of 6, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I switched the original power supply back into the machine. I was messing around with the IDE cords. I made sure I plugged all the wires into the motherboard. It worked! I am guessing that one of the one of the wires that connects the power supply to the motherboard was not connected. If that was not the case then I do not know what the issue was. Well, the computer is working now and that is what really matters. I suppose I will install Windows 98SE and MS-DOS 6.22 on it now. Thanks to GXL750 and Sammy for helping me out.

Reply 5 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad you got it going. Just to add a little extra info - the Dell GX150 uses a standard ATX supply, I have one so I'm certain of this. It is definitely not interchangeable with the one from your Slot-1 XPS (as I guess is already apparent). But if you ever need a different PSU for the GX150 - you can use a standard one on that machine.
I suggest putting some kind of marking on the XPS board and PSU so that you'll know those use the proprietary pinout. You can also find the difference if you look close at the coloring of the wires on the connector.

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are also converters so you can use standard power supplies with Dell motherboards like the below. Although the "fake" ATX power supplies are pretty good quality so wouldn't worry about rushing out to change it.
http://www.amazon.com/ATX-Dell-Adapter-Conver … e/dp/B001I3WW68