VOGONS

First post, by SBR111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured out how to mount and all that, in win xp they run and save fine but are too fast. But in dosbox I cant get the games to save for the life of me! Any suggestions or help?

Thanks,
Sean

Reply 2 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think that you have wrongly set path in configuration file (every game has one). The game has there usually two paths (one for importing from the previous game in the serie, one for normal saves).
Remember that paths in DOSBOX are different (unless you mounted directly C:\ ).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 12, by SBR111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok here's what I am doing.

I have champions of krynn installed to my d:\temp\champ directory with the save dir installed to d:\temp\champ\save directory. I run dosbox and type " mount d d:\temp\champ" ok the game runs fine and at the correct speed but gets an error when I try to save the game, so then I went back to dosbox and tried typing " mount d d:\temp\champ\save " and I get a message saying that that directory is already mounted to the local directory of d:\temp\champ. But when I just double click on the exe in Win Xp the game runs fine and I am able to save, but the game runs at 500mph! So there has to be something I am doing wrong in dosbox but I do not know what. I am running version .60 of dosbox.

Thanks,
Sean

Reply 6 of 12, by Wounded Ronin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

People have been telling me that mounting the root directory like that is unsafe.

I'm having exactly the same problem as the OP but I would prefer to find a solution that does not involve mounting a root directory.

I think I'm going to take a look at any configuration files I can find. I wonder if mounting something like "c c:\krynn" might be causing a problem with where the game tries to look when it tries to find the save directory.

Reply 8 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> I would prefer to find a solution that does not involve mounting a root directory.
It is really, really simple: Use the same mounting instructions when installing as you do when running. It constantly amazes me why some people try to make it difficult for themselves by changing the DOSBox setup between installing and running.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 12, by Wounded Ronin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought I'd follow up explaining how I solved the problem. I was about to go ahead and reinstall when I decided that first I'd go and see if it was possible to edit a .cfg file. I found a .cfg file, opened it using notepad, and found that pretty much the only info contained in the file was the location of the save directory. I modified it using notepad to match up with what the directory would be if I mounted my virtual drive correctly, and now have no problems saving. The game works perfectly now.

Reply 11 of 12, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ditto i did the same thing yet i trashed the cfg file than ran the game and reconfigged it and set the save path as c:\temp\champs and it worked like magic!

Bartender:Is it true what you said? Is the world really going to end? Ford:yes in about 2 minutes. Bartender:Shouldnt we lie on the floor and put paperbags on our heads? Ford:If you'd like. Bartender:Will it help? Ford:Nope not at all.