VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Listing a motherboard as Super Socket 7 when it doesn't have an AGP slot, might not even accept a Socket 7 CPU, or both.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 23, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beware that SS7 motherboards without AGP slots aren't unheard of. I had an PCChips M571 (arguably SS7 - its FSB clock tops at 83MHz AFAIK) whose chipset supported AGP, but it was wired to the onboard graphics chips and it has no AGP slot.

Reply 2 of 23, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I have a list of motherboards that are compatible with SS7 (either officially, beta BIOS, or unofficially) and there are around 80 or more motherboards on it that don't feature an AGP slot, so they definitely are not unheard of (give or take, it would take a while to Google them all again). There's also a section of the list, however, where I don't know the specs because I couldn't find anything. I only made that list so I could narrow down my ebay searches for motherboards that featured the full range of things, AGP, PCI, ISA, PS/2, and USB (which, for some reason, USB only seemed to appear when PS/2 was present, otherwise it was only AT with no USB at all). That list ended up being 26 motherboards that met the criteria.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 3 of 23, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always thought the official Super Socket 7 platform mandated 100-MHz frontside bus and AGP support

Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My fastest S7 board has SIS chipset, but no AGP and it doesn't do 100 MHz FSB. If it was a proper SS7 board, it would be the fastest out of the boards I have.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 23, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2. Listing a video card as new GTX 285 while it's actually a used GTX 280.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 23, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

My fastest S7 board has SIS chipset, but no AGP and it doesn't do 100 MHz FSB. If it was a proper SS7 board, it would be the fastest out of the boards I have.

What chipset is that? Asking because I have one with SIS 5582, haven't done anything with it yet though.

Reply 7 of 23, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Beware that SS7 motherboards without AGP slots aren't unheard of. I had an PCChips M571 (arguably SS7 - its FSB clock tops at 83MHz AFAIK) whose chipset supported AGP, but it was wired to the onboard graphics chips and it has no AGP slot.

PC Chips M590 is basically the same board, but with 100Mhz FSB, so technically SS7. No AGP slot, the on board graphics are connected to the AGP bus though.

Reply 9 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oerk wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

What chipset is that? Asking because I have one with SIS 5582, haven't done anything with it yet though.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/asus-sp97-xv.html

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 23, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boxed, used motherboards, video cards, and audio cards require a little extra attention from us as buyers. Some eBay sellers don't bother to check whether the hardware inside the box matches the picture on the box. People upgrading from one video card to another sometimes put the old card into the new box. When the card is in an anti-static bag, it can be hard to tell whether you're getting what the seller advertises. I've had some close calls where I almost pulled the trigger on something I would have had to return.

Nothing like thinking you're getting a Ti4600 only to find a GF2 MX in the box.

Reply 11 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Super Socket 7 has support for AGP, but need not have AGP slots in their motherboards. Later AMD processors were able to make use of the increased FSB.

I had many SS7 motherboards without AGP slots.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 23, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scrapping an item when it doesn't sell, without even considering the thought of lowering their exorbitant price. Yes, I've seen this happen before.

Oh, and packaging a heavy item poorly which results in it getting destroyed in transit. Ugh.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 13 of 23, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the SS7 take advantage of the extra bandwidth with AGP card compared to PCI? I'd imagine their wouldn't be much in it, I always wondered how a socket 8 system would compare mildly overclocked to 350/375mhz(fsb 70-75) with a PR440FX/Abit-PS6 with a decent PCI card compared to AMD K6-500/600.

Reply 14 of 23, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Please tell me if this is what you are talking about. I am in the market for a GTX 285

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sealed-NVIDIA-GeF … P-/111588965470

Windows 98 SE

Reply 15 of 23, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
squareguy wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Please tell me if this is what you are talking about. I am in the market for a GTX 285

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sealed-NVIDIA-GeF … P-/111588965470

From the sellers feedback. While its not a guarentee it at least says something.

"
Super fast shipping, unit works great!, amazing packing! Accurate, A++++ Seller! Buyer: 6***6
During past 6 months
New, Sealed NVIDIA GeForce GTX-285 1GB DELL 0D810P (#111588965470)
"

"
Thank you works great Buyer: n***a
During past month
"

"
A+++ Seller, great packing, extremely fast shipping, product works amazing!! Buyer: 6***6
During past 6 months
Manufacturer Refurbished NVIDIA GeForce GTX-285 1GB DELL 0D810P (#121572543619)
"

"
Positive feedback rating on time Buyer: n***-
During past 6 months
"

"
Positive feedback rating this is my second order, on time again Buyer: n***-
During past 6 months
"

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Worst thing ever is poor packaging. I've had computers shipped to me wrapped in nothing more than a cut up paper grocery bag tied up with twine. I've had CPU's shipped in nothing more than an envelope without even a piece of styrofoam to protect the pins. I've also had video cards shipped in envelopes with no consideration for the myriad of tiny parts that could break off if it's mishandled. I'm sure everyone here has similar (or worse) horror stories involving sellers who were too cheap (or possibly too stupid) to ship things properly.

I've also had sellers list things as complete in box, they even show you the original box in the photos, but on arrival everything is jammed into a tiny "If it fits, it ships" box from the post office because it's cheaper and the seller has already discarded the original box when asked about it. If you're not going to ship the original box with the item, then don't advertise the item as complete in box.Complete in box means just what it says, that you will get all items shown IN THE ORIGINAL BOX.

And then there's the ones who sell things complete in box and actually do ship the box with the item but the box ends up being smashed in transit because, again, they didn't take proper precautions to protect it. If I'm paying you a premium price to get an item complete in box, I want the box to be PERFECT, or close to it. Whatever condition the box is shown in, is the condition I expect it to be in when it arrives or else be prepared for a "item not as described" complaint to be filed.

Reply 17 of 23, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Worst thing ever is poor packaging. I've had computers shipped to me wrapped in nothing more than a cut up paper grocery bag tied up with twine. I've had CPU's shipped in nothing more than an envelope without even a piece of styrofoam to protect the pins. I've also had video cards shipped in envelopes with no consideration for the myriad of tiny parts that could break off if it's mishandled. I'm sure everyone here has similar (or worse) horror stories involving sellers who were too cheap (or possibly too stupid) to ship things properly.

I've also had sellers list things as complete in box, they even show you the original box in the photos, but on arrival everything is jammed into a tiny "If it fits, it ships" box from the post office because it's cheaper and the seller has already discarded the original box when asked about it. If you're not going to ship the original box with the item, then don't advertise the item as complete in box.Complete in box means just what it says, that you will get all items shown IN THE ORIGINAL BOX.

And then there's the ones who sell things complete in box and actually do ship the box with the item but the box ends up being smashed in transit because, again, they didn't take proper precautions to protect it. If I'm paying you a premium price to get an item complete in box, I want the box to be PERFECT, or close to it. Whatever condition the box is shown in, is the condition I expect it to be in when it arrives or else be prepared for a "item not as described" complaint to be filed.

How about this! Notice the marks on the inside of the box from the cards tumbling around.
These cards were sold as working, not as gold scrap.

Awesome_packaging.JPG
Filename
Awesome_packaging.JPG
File size
4.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 18 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
How about this! Notice the marks on the inside of the box from the cards tumbling around. These cards were sold as working, not […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

How about this! Notice the marks on the inside of the box from the cards tumbling around.

Awesome_packaging.JPG

This picture is just terrible and completely retarded.

I've had one chip arrive at me with part of it broken off, but at least I got refunded.
I've seen several times someone sending me some piece of hardware in box and then using the original box as part of the shipping packaging 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
How about this! Notice the marks on the inside of the box from the cards tumbling around. These cards were sold as working, not […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Awesome_packaging.JPG

How many broken capacitors did you find rolling around the bottom of the box when you unpacked it?