VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When were MFM hard drives no longer produced? What would the latest PC to use one without bottlenecks be? Something like a 386SX 16? And what was the highest capacity MFM hard drive? Thanks.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 8, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Between 1985 and 1988 was the real transition period where MFM drives began to step aside for SCSI and 8-bit IDE interfaces (and ESDI briefly for a few other vendors). Nobody was making MFM by the 90's.
Highest capacity MFM drive I have ever seen was 160mb and it's the full-height Maxtor beast that resides in my MicroVAX 2000 right now.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 2 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nowhere near the 386's (IDE was already the standard), they were intended for XT's so I'd bet on the first crippled 286 IBM's

CelGen wrote:

Nobody was making MFM by the 90's.

Second that...

Reply 5 of 8, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just saw an IBM PS/2 386DX 16 with MFM drives.

http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/ps2_80041/

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 6 of 8, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, but IBM did not support it for long.

IBM quickly dropped ST-506 in favour of ESDI in later model variants, and it wasn't even offered in the Model 70. Logically, the BIOS support for the ST-506 controller was removed in later board variants (20 MHz and up): You can configure the controller, but noone will access it...so leave the ST-506 controller in a 16 MHz machine.

I don't doubt that there was a few stragglers using MFM in the 386 era.

Ultrix or VMS?

Ultrix.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 7 of 8, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:
Yeah, but IBM did not support it for long. […]
Show full quote

Yeah, but IBM did not support it for long.

IBM quickly dropped ST-506 in favour of ESDI in later model variants, and it wasn't even offered in the Model 70. Logically, the BIOS support for the ST-506 controller was removed in later board variants (20 MHz and up): You can configure the controller, but noone will access it...so leave the ST-506 controller in a 16 MHz machine.

I don't doubt that there was a few stragglers using MFM in the 386 era.

Ultrix or VMS?

Ultrix.

wow, you must be older than me. But it's a good thing.. 😜

Some years ago a couple of brand new looking Vax stations slipped from me at an auction, but was lucky to grab a pair of DEC3000, one was still unopened in its wrapping and everything, I keep it as a treasure though my intention is one day learn VMS, I had enough of tru64 in my life and UNIX in general. I do not live in North America or Europe so this kind of hardware is very rare.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

Trailing edge computing.