VOGONS

Good Pentium 3 Board with ISA and Tualatin Support?

Topic actions

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The title pretty much. I need a Pentium 3 board that supports Tualatin and ISA. Any recommendations?

Reply 5 of 119, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The one in my sig is the only one that I know.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 119, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you do not already have a Tualatin cpu on hand I would recommend a standard Socket 370 board and one of the pin-modded Tualatin's from the South Korean ebay seller.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

The title pretty much. I need a Pentium 3 board that supports Tualatin and ISA. Any recommendations?

In addition to what's been written in the previous posts, search for s370 boards that use a chipset that supports ISA slots (theres the VIA 694T. The 694X doesn't support Tualatin natively). Theres I think a few more that support Tualatin and ISA, but I only know of this VIA chipset from top of my head.

This here might be a good place to start searching http://www.motherboard.cz/via.htm
It's a bit messy, but you can quickly search for boards using the 694T northbridge, but you'll still have to check every single board to see if it actually has any ISA slots (the fact that the chipset supports ISA doesn't automatically mean it will actually have one).

I think there was also a VIA s370 Tualatin DDR chipset, but last that I recall very few boards using this chipset and with ISA slots were actually made. I think most of them were server boards using 2 or more CPU sockets?

I don't remember if anyone actually made a list of all boards with these features.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 119, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends, how are the caps looking, is it being sold as fully functional or AS-IS untested? Does it come with any extra ram, expansion cards, heatsink? The extras are nice but not necessary but for that much I would want it to have at least visually good caps and tested to boot to the bios. In any case that looks like a good motherboard. some people have complaints against the VIA Socket 370 chipsets but once you get to know some of the quirks they are great in my experience 😀

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 119, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to double post, but it looks like according to Badcaps that Gigabyte used G-Luxon and Choyo caps on the GA-6VTXE that are pretty much garbage. A recap would be a good idea if you do get that Gigabyte board.

Reply 13 of 119, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

440BX is basically it if you want an Intel chipset with ISA. Some of them have Tualatin modified BIOS's available, pin mod required.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 14 of 119, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Caps look good. If nothing else if they start to bulge or have issues later on you could always pay to have it recapped 😀

Reply 15 of 119, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

440BX is basically it if you want an Intel chipset with ISA. Some of them have Tualatin modified BIOS's available, pin mod required.

Beware the OCed AGP bus.
I'd favour VIA boards.... something like an ASUS CUV4X + pinmodded Tually should be fine.

Reply 16 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I think there was also a VIA s370 Tualatin DDR chipset, but last that I recall very few boards using this chipset and with ISA slots were actually made.

I've seen some skt 370 DDR boards (even dual CPU) but none that I recall had ISA.

There was also a little known P3-DDR chipset: CLE266 (VT8623 + VT8235). Those didn't have ISA either.
http://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/legacy/chipsets/cle266/
They usually came with a soldered on C3 of some kind but a rare few had a socket 370 ZIFF.

There is also the VIA Apollo PLE133T which does do Tualatin and have ISA. http://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/legacy/chipsets/ple133t/
I've had several of these on FIC FR33E variants. FR33E with the ISA slot actually populated are tough to find though.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-08, 23:10. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 17 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Sorry to double post, but it looks like according to Badcaps that Gigabyte used G-Luxon and Choyo caps on the GA-6VTXE that are pretty much garbage. A recap would be a good idea if you do get that Gigabyte board.

During the time that board was new about the only way you were going to get good caps was buy Intel, Supermicro or Dell - or just get really freakin' lucky.
Also during that time the caps installed varied from one production run to another.
I've seen same revision boards that had 4 or 5 different assortments of caps on them.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-08, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 18 of 119, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^+1 PCBONEZ. With Socket 370 and Socket A especially you should just assume that caps are garbage and need replaced. I lucked out and 2/3 of my socket 370 boards use high quality caps. One is Dell and the other is an Asus board.

Reply 19 of 119, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny enough all my Asus boards needed a recap. Except for a tx97-e. No one brand has good caps over another. For example - I have a couple of Abit NF7-S boards. One used samxon caps and needed recapping. The other used panasonic and some other brand and did not require recapping.