VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the title says, does any of you guys here know of the best possible monitor i could do a nice large resulotion?
it could be a alternate to if wanted to play arcade games or those retro pixelated games that have come out in recent year's.

Reply 1 of 40, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can highly recommend G220fB from ViewSonic. The quality of the picture is as perfect and bright as anything I've seen from aperture grille competitors, namely Sony and NEC. The only feature missing, if I were to get picky here, would be a numeric reference for some of the controls such as convergence, moire, contrast, etc (you get bars, though).

This one's been in use for over 10 years, yet the phosphors appear to have lost very little intensity.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 3 of 40, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you talking voltage or availability?

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 5 of 40, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Hansol 930D, 19" fully-flat screen. Does 1600x1200 but looks best at 1280x1024. I like it. Hansol are a Dutch company so yes, available in Europe. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9 of 40, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

90–264VAC, that covers Europe and the rest of the world.

As touching availability, I really have no idea, but eBay and Amazon may be able to settle that for you.

Reply 11 of 40, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on your definition of large. There are some almost "unobtanium" monitors capable of delivering 1920x1200, but good luck finding those for an affordable price. I'd say any late 19" flat screen CRT from a decent brand could cover your needs.

Reply 16 of 40, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1920x1080? Then no, a common 17" CRT can't go that high. 1280x1024 would be the limit, and not all of them would be able to do it above 60Hz (my old LG Flatron didn't, but I have seen a later Flatron that did).
Monitors capable of such a high resolution do exist, but they are rare and, once you find one, expensive. And usually 23/24", like the fabled Sony GDM-FW900 that goes up to 2304x1440.

Reply 19 of 40, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to compare monitors, the magic figure to look at is the horizontal refresh rate. Sometimes it's printed on the back, but it's always in the manual if you can find it.

Plain VGA (720x480) starts with a horizontal refresh of 31.5kHz and the larger the number, the higher your maximum resolution will be. Use a calculator like this one if you are aiming for a specific resolution and/or refresh rate.

Using that calculator, 1920x1080@60Hz requires a minimum horizontal refresh of 67.8kHz. So any monitor that can handle that or better will be able to show 1080p@60Hz non-interlaced.

For comparison, I have a really nice 19" Hyundai P910+ that has quite a high horizontal refresh of 108kHz, which means it can do 1760x1320@80Hz. So this can easily do 1920x1080. In fact, according to the calculator, it can do 1080p at up to 97Hz refresh rate.