VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My last tube of Arctic Silver 5 is about done, so I need to think about ordering more thermal compound. What do you guys like to use? Preferably simple application that can be removed easily.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 58, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like to use Vegemite.
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Failing that, I use whatever cheap zinc oxide formulation I can find.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 58, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use MX-4.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2016-07-03, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 58, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Antec Diamond stuff is good if you can get it on sale for half price, mx-4 like Phil said is great, I like Ceramique 2 myself. Pretty much anything is better than nothing. Used toothpaste once on a P4, worked great and had no issues.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 58, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I like to use Vegemite.
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Heh heh. Sounds like a plot point from a cheezy movie.

"The tournament starts in ten minutes, and my rig is fried! What are we gonna do?"
"I have an idea! But whatever you do, don't do That Thing, or the whole thing will blow!"
"Oh no, Evil McBadguy is gonna win! I have no choice! I have to do That Thing!"
"Noooo, the vegemite can't take it! What have you done!?"

Reply 7 of 58, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Arctic MX-4 for low mounting pressure and Gelid GC-Extreme for high mounting pressure.

MX-4 is pretty good for general use and very easy to work with, i'd recommend it.

Reply 8 of 58, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used Arctic Silver for years but I'm getting tired of how difficult it is to clean and also to remove from fingers as it is both thick and sticky. I've recently switched to Noctua NT-H1. I'm also considering buying some Arctic Ceramique as I just recently glooped some AS5 into a processor LGA socket.. and it was NOT fun to clean out.

Reply 9 of 58, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ceramique is really difficult to clean just to warn you. Not terrible, it just seems to really be sticky ya know?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10 of 58, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arctic Silver 5 used to be my go-to, but Arctic Cooling MX-4 is alright too. I've discovered that dielectric grease for car ignitions will work in a pinch if you can't find any proper thermal compound.

Reply 12 of 58, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I'm switching cpus, there's usually enough residual Arctic Silver on the bottom of the heatsink that I can redistribute it with a finger and it's enough to not have to reapply.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 58, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second Gelid GC Extreme!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 14 of 58, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gelid GC Extreme because it is one of the very best and it is easy to clean up plus there is really no cure time unlike as5. I use the cheap stuff on older hardware if it doesn't have a exposed die.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 58, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I buy of toothbrush pouch sized pack of MG Chemical paste as I very often swap processors units. It's cheap and score higher on review than single use arctic silver seringe.

Reply 16 of 58, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well for me it depends.
If I want the best temps I got for liquid copper, mx4 or nh-1.
If it's for someone else's pc or temps aren't a big deal I used what ever is available and cheap.

If it's for a sub zero run I use dimastech Thermal Grease. It's about 9$ for a 100g so I use it when temps are not a big deal too.

Reply 17 of 58, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it worth trying any brands other than MX-4 or Arctic Silver 5? There are tons of different types of thermal compound out there and it would be nice to know what situations different brands are suited for.

Reply 18 of 58, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

There are tons of different types of thermal compound out there and it would be nice to know what situations different brands are suited for.

They're for when you have too much money and a burning anxiety that can only be soothed by the promises of marketers.

Reply 19 of 58, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm surprised no one mentioned play-doh so far.. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//