VOGONS

First post, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For both USB or PS/2--specifically, how to modify them.

I use a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1 Optical (USB), and have tried both the straight USB connection, and a passive USB>PS/2 adapter.

Under Windows XP (32-bit) on this same set of hardware, there are two utilities I have found that allow me to modify the USB polling rate, and while I haven't played around with the PS/2 stuff as much, from what I understand, there's a setting in XP that allows you to change it from 100 Hz to 200 Hz.

Too freaking bad none of that stuff seems to work in 98SE...! If the PS/2 option is in there, I certainly can't find it... using a "mouserate" application, the USB movements read at the 125 Hz default, and PS/2 reads at the 100 Hz default, and that certainly feels about right when playing games (the ones I mention below in particular).

I've researched and tried everything I could think of with no luck, and so here I am, asking the experts of old hardware again. : P If anybody knows a way to tweak this stuff under 98SE, I'm all ears...!

{ Oh, and in case anybody wants to say: "why would you do this, this is pointless", okay, as briefly as I can:

I can't personally notice the difference in latency, but I have noticed under Windows XP (and on my modern rig) that a higher sample rate can help to smooth out the axes of mouse movement in first person shooters in particular and give a little more breadth and precision to the aim (it's almost as if I somehow gain a bit more DPI, but I'm pretty sure that's not actually the case). It's particularly noticeable that Unreal games control a bit better, and in Serious Sam, it's the difference between me turning off the "Smooth Axis" option, which is preferable.

Plus, it's nice to have things a bit more consistent across my computers and Operating Systems. }

I have noticed that using the PS/2 adapter maybe helps a little tiny bit over USB, but I'm curious if 200 Hz would make a difference.

If you made it this far, thanks for hearing me out.

-Using Windows 98SE with the Unofficial Service Pack 3
-Pentium III 866 Mhz
-some super generic NEC USB 2.0 PCI add-in card (can't seem to find the exact model name, but it was the most common chip they use IIRC)

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try "PS/2 rate" ?

Windows 9x refresh ps/2 mouses at 40Hz, not 100Hz (or if it does, you probably did something special before)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Licentious Howler wrote:

-Using Windows 98SE with the Unofficial Service Pack 3
-Pentium III 866 Mhz
-some super generic NEC USB 2.0 PCI add-in card (can't seem to find the exact model name, but it was the most common chip they use IIRC)

Why are you using a PCI USB 2.0 card instead of the on-board USB ports? With a mouse it is unlikely you will have any advantage from the higher speed USB 2.0 offers....

Reply 3 of 6, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Why are you using a PCI USB 2.0 card instead of the on-board USB ports? With a mouse it is unlikely you will have any advantage from the higher speed USB 2.0 offers....

Thanks for the reply, you two.

This is actually a safeguard--the motherboard was manufactured ~1999, and has two USB 1.1 ports. I have read that using higher polling rates can possibly fry older USB ports (though I don't know specifics), and while I suspect this is rare, I don't see much point in taking a risk when I have 4 other perfectly good ports to choose from on a device I can easily replace.

If I can verify that the NEC card is getting in the way, then I would be willing to try a motherboard USB port, but considering it worked properly with XP, I doubt this is the case.

Deksor wrote:

"Try "PS/2 rate" ?"

You mean googling this or something?

Every result I turned up for searches like this only discussed Solutions for Windows XP, unfortunately.

As for the 40Hz/100Hz situation, I suppose this could be related to my use of the Unofficial Service Pack 3. It does install its own mouse drivers (SP3.CAB).

Reply 4 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a program called PS2RATE that I remember using on win98 to increase my mouse sample rate. It came on a magazine cover disk.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS2Rate is what I used too when I messed with this stuff a long time ago. I think this is the same program: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ps2rate_plus.html

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 6, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My apologies for misunderstanding you, Deksor. I see now that PS/2 rate is a program. I'm still not entirely sure how I never managed to find it in searching though...

Thanks for the recommendation, all of you, it did exactly what I needed it to.

In fact, I'm surprised how easy it is to feel the difference between the PS/2 and USB protocols--I turned it down to 10 Hz, just to see how it would work, and sure enough, when I boot up those test games (Unreal, Serious Sam), PS/2 becomes significantly more smoothed compared to what I'm used to with USB (at low sample rates), somehow. (Even weirder is that the Windows desktop is still just as jerky as I'd expect 10 Hz to be with either).

perhaps this is related to why USB benefits from much higher sample rates...???

Regardless of what's really going on in the software/hardware, I can now comfortably turn off that axis smoothing I was talking about, and the games feel just about what I'm used to now.

Thank goodness for adapters, helpful people like the lot of you, and the engineers/developers who made this possible.