VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I am testing this early Geforce2 MX (Point of view) that I bought long time ago when it was released. After used it for a long time, I remember some years ago it displayed strange analog horizontal noise on screen even in bios prompt (I don't remember if cause by some mobo compatibility problems) so I never used it in these years.
Now I am testing it again on linux and a A7V133 (KT133A) and eveything seems to run fine both 2d and with simple opengl test (glxgears). I'd like to test it deeply to understand if it will last or not so how can I test it to see it's ok? Any bench for Opengl for the NV11 chip? How to know if eventually capacitors are bad?
Thank

Reply 1 of 2, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are various benchmarks from the time. My suggestion is to pick up a copy of your favourite game from the era, and start playing for a few hours. If nothing happens, it's probably fine.

And I'd forget about testing any caps unless they are decent sized through-hole deals. If they are the ones that are silver/metal all around and do not have leads going through the board, and if they are bad, you might as well throw the board into the bin, as replacing SMD caps is a task for people with either a good reflow oven and/or impressive soldering skills (If you don't do it as a job daily, your not good enough).

But as I said, pick up a game, start playing, and see how it flies. I have a GeForce2 MX I plan to throw in a future Slot 1 build, and it's not a bad card.

Reply 2 of 2, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ampera wrote:

There are various benchmarks from the time. My suggestion is to pick up a copy of your favourite game from the era, and start playing for a few hours. If nothing happens, it's probably fine.

And I'd forget about testing any caps unless they are decent sized through-hole deals. If they are the ones that are silver/metal all around and do not have leads going through the board, and if they are bad, you might as well throw the board into the bin, as replacing SMD caps is a task for people with either a good reflow oven and/or impressive soldering skills (If you don't do it as a job daily, your not good enough).

But as I said, pick up a game, start playing, and see how it flies. I have a GeForce2 MX I plan to throw in a future Slot 1 build, and it's not a bad card.

In linux I've to find some game or bench not as easy as launch the usual 3dmark. 😀
I remember it was a good card and looking at the power meter at the plug it's quiet easy on the psu too. My Athlon 1333/133 config with NV11 in idle is at 107W not bad considering various PCI cards and the heavy Thunderbird cpu.