VOGONS

First post, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have an Aureal Vortex 2 sound card in my Win 98SE gaming PC, it's a Turtle Beach Montego 2, which Im running with 2.041 drivers, and I love it for games that use the A3D api. Considering how many Win9x era games support the A3D api, I can confidently say the Vortex2 cards are the best Win9x gaming cards. With that said though, some games of the era support EAX and/or 5.1 surround, but don't support A3D, for example NFS 3 Hot Pursuit being one of them. I also read that some of them in particular don't sound quite right under WinXP, again NFS 3 Hot Pursuit being one of them, so trying to get those Win9x era EAX/Surround games running on my WinXP machine, dedicating the Win98SE machine for A3D, is not the best option it seems.

So, I've been wondering, the Creative Audigy 2 ZS appears to be the best EAX/Surround sound card with Win9x drivers, but, is having one Win98SE PC with a Vortex2 and another separate Win98SE PC with the Audigy 2 the only option? Or is it somehow possible to stick them both into a single PC, and somehow switch them depending on the game? So that I can have the best of both worlds? Anyone attempted this before?

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 1 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't done it with 2 PCI cards, but its definitely possible. Only problem will be possible resource conflicts but again PCI shouldn't have a problem with this.
Just install both cards like normal. You then set whichever soundcard you want to use as the primary sound device in control panel and the game will default to that.
Some games will even let you pick which sound card to use so no need to do the above.

Reply 2 of 7, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought of another idea a bit earlier, perhaps dualbooting two installations of windows 98se, and only installing drivers for the vortex2 in the first, and only installing drivers for the audigy 2 in the second windows install, and that way I could reboot into the other windows install when I want to use the other sound card. I thought that could work fine. But if I can actually also have them both within a single windows install that might be even nicer. Guess I'll give it a try then. I don't currently have an Audigy 2 but I'll get one and test this. I guess it will be better not only for games that support EAX and/or Surround but dont support A3D, but also for games that don't support either it might give better sound quality if nothing else, considering the fact it has a much larger PCB with a lot more components soldered onto it, I bet the sound quality is better than the montego 2. So I guess I'll try to use the montego 2 only for A3D games, and the audigy 2 for everything else.

Reply 3 of 7, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Install the vortex2 first and create 2 hardware profiles, one called Vortex2 and the other SBLive. Boot into both hardware profiles and disable the Vortex2 sound card in device manager.

Backup the a3d.dll from c:\windows\system to the desktop in a folder called a3d\vortex2.

Install the SBLive and boot into the SBLive hardware profile. Backup its a3d.dll to your desktop in a folder called a3d\sblive.

Then boot into the Vortex2 hardware profile and disable the SBLive and enable the Vortex2.

Whenever you boot into the hardware profile of choice, manually or batch overwrite the a3d.dll with the proper file from desktop\a3d\?\a3d.dll into c:\windows\system.

Also, for both cards don't install their MS-DOS drivers because they can conflict with each other.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 4 of 7, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, that's quite a bit of trouble to go trough. What is "hardware profiles"? Never heard that term before... Oh,and Im thinking of Audigy 2 ZS, not SB Live 5.1, the Audigy 2 is a newer model, Im guessing it might not have DOS drivers? And why do I need to swap the a3d.dll file, can't I just leave the Vortex2 a3d.dll file, after all Im not going to play A3D games with the audigy?

Reply 5 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stretch wrote:
Install the vortex2 first and create 2 hardware profiles, one called Vortex2 and the other SBLive. Boot into both hardware profi […]
Show full quote

Install the vortex2 first and create 2 hardware profiles, one called Vortex2 and the other SBLive. Boot into both hardware profiles and disable the Vortex2 sound card in device manager.

Backup the a3d.dll from c:\windows\system to the desktop in a folder called a3d\vortex2.

Install the SBLive and boot into the SBLive hardware profile. Backup its a3d.dll to your desktop in a folder called a3d\sblive.

Then boot into the Vortex2 hardware profile and disable the SBLive and enable the Vortex2.

Whenever you boot into the hardware profile of choice, manually or batch overwrite the a3d.dll with the proper file from desktop\a3d\?\a3d.dll into c:\windows\system.

Also, for both cards don't install their MS-DOS drivers because they can conflict with each other.

That's how I would do it also!

You can also just manually disable the card you're not using in device manager.

With the A3D.DLL file, I think you can just put it into the game folder, where the executable lies.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 7, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote:

I see, that's quite a bit of trouble to go trough. What is "hardware profiles"? Never heard that term before... Oh,and Im thinking of Audigy 2 ZS, not SB Live 5.1, the Audigy 2 is a newer model, Im guessing it might not have DOS drivers? And why do I need to swap the a3d.dll file, can't I just leave the Vortex2 a3d.dll file, after all Im not going to play A3D games with the audigy?

I've run 3 sound cards in 1 machine: Audigy2, Vortex2, and Yamaha YMF744 and if I didn't swap the a3d file I would get BSODs even if I was just playing an MS-DOS game in Win98's command.com.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 7 of 7, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. Then rather than swapping dll files, it might be less of a hassle to do what I thought of at first - dualboot two win98 installations