VOGONS

Pronunciation of Riva

Topic actions

First post, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do you pronounce Riva?

When we first got our Pentium III, I assumed that it was "Rye-Vuh". (Rival)
I have also heard "Riv-uh" (River), and "Ree-vuh" (Diva).

Does anyone know how NVIDIA themselves pronounced it? I tried to find old product launch videos, but to no avail.

Last edited by fitzpatr on 2017-05-19, 20:46. Edited 1 time in total.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 8 of 29, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always pronounced it "ree-vuh."

More importantly, how does everyone pronounce GIF? The creator of the format says it's pronounced "jif", but I think he's wrong. It's GIF with a hard G.

PCGames9505

Reply 9 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format, so shouldn't you be saying Gee, I, Ef? Like with PNG, I don't know anyone that says pnnnggg, everyone spells the letters.

I do the same with GOG, saying Ge, O, Ge. Rather than gog, which sounds so weird.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Like with PNG, I don't know anyone that says pnnnggg, everyone spells the letters.

They do? I thought the official pronunciation was "ping".

I also say "gog" and "ree-vuh".

Sometimes when I've been working too hard I start thinking of "pidoofs".

Reply 11 of 29, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm all over the place when it comes to pronouncing this stuff...

.GIF - "gif"

.PNG - "pee enn gee"

Riva - "Reevuh"

GoG - "Good Ol Games"

1080ti - "1080 tee eye"

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 13 of 29, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nVidia's Ti has the same problem as the "Me" in Windows Me. They're stylized wrong to be pronounced as separate letters, but I know I do.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 14 of 29, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it a "ten eighty tee eye", or a "one thousand and eighty tee eye"?

firage wrote:

nVidia's Ti has the same problem as the "Me" in Windows Me. They're stylized wrong to be pronounced as separate letters, but I know I do.

Agree, If they are using the symbol 'Ti' being the chemical symbol for Titanium, while it is written as 'Ti', when said, the word "Titanium" should be used....We don't say "ampersand", when we come across the symbol in a sentence.

It clearly means turbo-injection. o.0 ...why else would they have a 'GT' model... 😵

The way we say stuff boils down to laziness really imo (there I did it again, you didn’t just say “eye em oo”..maybe if you didn't know what the letters meant 😲 )... If the combination of letters, could in our minds sound like plausible/cipherable English...it's quicker to say them together as a word. If the letters don't roll off the tongue easy... we say the individual letters...perhaps subconsciously to also avoid confusion about which letters were present in the thing we just said..o.0

And then there's jpg. When you start saying the letters of an abbreviation, but give up and pronounce the rest as a word.

Reply 15 of 29, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

And then there's jpg. When you start saying the letters of an abbreviation, but give up and pronounce the rest as a word.

An alternate extension (that I recall used much more during the 90s) was .jpeg. The shortened, three letter .jpg extension is for the same type of file, and the extension pronunciation "Jay peg" rolls right off the tongue.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 16 of 29, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

An alternate extension (that I recall used much more during the 90s) was .jpeg. The shortened, three letter .jpg extension is for the same type of file, and the extension pronunciation "Jay peg" rolls right off the tongue.

Yes jpeg is the correct abbreviation and should be used these days. You can thank windows 8.3 naming restrictions as to the reason there is .jpg

Reply 17 of 29, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are a few others that I say one way, and have heard another way -

Tseng:
-I always said Tee-seng but hear others say Tseng (pronouncing the first consonant almost like a parent scolding a child with a"Tsk"). Even though I*'m pretty sure my way is wrong, I feel like I need to enunciate the letter T so that someone doesn't think I'm saying "Seng".

SiS:
-I spell out the letters Es eye Es, rather than "Siss"

ALi:
-I spell out the letters Ay El Eye, rather than "Ali" as in Muhammad Ali

Yes, for some reason creator of the GIF decided the pronunciation is "JIF". But most everyone agrees that a hard G is "more correct":
http://gizmodo.com/the-creator-of-the-gif-say … he-is-509179289
http://www.newsweek.com/100-percent-wrong-pro … tion-gif-483374

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 29, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maximus wrote:

More importantly, how does everyone pronounce GIF? The creator of the format says it's pronounced "jif", but I think he's wrong. It's GIF with a hard G.

I love that when people say the inventor is wrong. But I will never say JIF. It's not Jraphics Interchange Format.

People need to appreciate the difference between

An acronym e.g. Radar or Gif. You can say it but it stands for something. Usually not capitalised to show this. Exception to the rule is chemical elements because no one says "Ti" for Titanium or "He" for Helium in the periodic table.

An abbreviation e.g. Totes instead of Totally or Trump instead of Stupid Orange Twat.

An initialism e.g. GSM or GPS. You can't say GSM or at least not without being misunderstood.
an initialism.

Prior to YouTube I had no idea people say Four Eighty Six. Why add another syllable when you can just say Four Eight Six? And it's ISA is Eye-Suh not ISA (acronym, not initialism) and Sequel not SQL for the same reason.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 19 of 29, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
maximus wrote:

I love that when people say the inventor is wrong. But I will never say JIF. It's not Jraphics Interchange Format.

Yeah, there is no reasoning behind "jif" what so ever o.0. I'm pretty sure this used to be called Compuserve format (or something along those lines). And there was a "jiff" (jpeg interchange file format) used at one time, so jif...should be kept for cleaning products...or is that cif these days 😵

brassicGamer wrote:

People need to appreciate the difference between

srsly? so JPEG is an Acronym, not abbr. 😲 ... cee dee ROM, theres another 😕

It's beginig to dawn on me why I gave up english at age 16 o.0... coz I cba wif it.