VOGONS

First post, by nikosuoa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Inspired by this old thread... I just got this card and here are my first impressions.

At first I got the same error ("WSS I/O Error.") when I tried it on an PIII motherboard. Briefly I was able to get DOS sound (wolf3d) but some sound effects were choppy/missing.

I tried it then on a PII motherboard and it worked without the WSS error. So far it works ok in Win98 (for windows programs, I cannot make games like wolfenstein 3D to play sound).

I still need to test it more for pure dos gaming, after watching again Phil's video, and also try newer/different drivers

Reply 1 of 10, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use the Audiotrix 3d-XG MS-DOS drivers in MS-DOS. What is your set blaster line in autoexec.bat and make sure it matches the sound card in device manager.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are plenty of those cards laying around and more likely for better price. No need to follow blindly some old recommendations from certain youtubers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed.
The Audician is a decent card, or so I've heard, but it is not the ultimate ISA sound card by any stretch .

Any well designed YMF71x based card would be as good a choice .

Reply 4 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Audician is a decent card

Audician is literally identical to a bunch of other OEM Yamaha cards. Difference only in stickers. Some have additional oscillator.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-09, 01:51:

The Audician is a decent card

Audician is literally identical to a bunch of other OEM Yamaha cards. Difference only in stickers. Some have additional oscillator.

Any card that conforms more or less to Yamaha's reference design is probably decent . If I gave the impression that I believed the Audician32 to be special in any way, I apologize .

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know, from what I've seen, the Audician/Labway/Addonics card is one of the better ones out there. The build quality of some of the others is kind of crap (low quality PCB material, bad layout, missing components/poor filtering).
I can only think of one YMF-71x better than it actually.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-07-09, 04:03:

I don't know, from what I've seen, the Audician/Labway/Addonics card is one of the better ones out there. The build quality of some of the others is kind of crap (low quality PCB material, bad layout, missing components/poor filtering).
I can only think of one YMF-71x better than it actually.

Which one ?

Reply 8 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AudioTrix 3D.
Good luck finding one, especially for a fair price.
I've been looking for a while.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-07-09, 04:54:

AudioTrix 3D.
Good luck finding one, especially for a fair price.
I've been looking for a while.

I am actually lucky enough to own one of those. It is not as quiet as I would have hoped, noise wise (with line out connected to an Akai DPS12 and listening on the DPS12's headphone port) . It's subjectively similar to my AWE64 Value's line out . Maybe I am expecting too much, or maybe the DPS12 is the issue (it is 22 hears old and I don't know how good the caps are in that thing, though visually they were fine at last check). The Audiotrix uses tantalum caps, so those are probably fine (so far!).

The retro PC, monitor and DPS12 are on the same circuit, along with all my MIDI modules, so not a ground issue . The only connection to the "outside" is through an optical out on the DPS12 to my AVR .

EDIT: My SC-88VL is whisper quiet in terms of noise, but both my AWE64 Value and Audiotrix 3D/XG (using line-out on both, all inputs muted) have noticeable background noise when I pump the Akai DPS12 headphone volume to high levels . At this point, my guess is that the internal sound cards are picking up internal PC noise .

I have maxed volume levels on the sound cards and have set gain on the DPS12 mixer console in a way that levels match as much as possible between devices.