VOGONS

First post, by mburress

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Info:
I am using Dosbox .61
CPU 1.8 Ghz AMD 2200 (dosbox 10000 cycles)
my hard drive is f: my cdrom is e: I am using the -t cdrom switch to mount
the cd although it doesnt look like its needed
hard drive is 80 GB.
I mount each of the drives as their correct letter but ive tried mounting hd as c too, doesnt help.

I am trying to install World of Aden: Thunderscape by SSI. Before installing it does a hardware test. Everything checks out until it tries to scan hard drive for available space (i have plenty) i get an "error reading drive" msg and install then quits without installing. If this helps i believe the same install program was used for the Ravenloft games and Menzoberranzan. I have read the readme that came with dosbox and the FAQ on the sourceforge website. I have not found a message elsewhere on the board answering the question although a similar question was posted concerning ravenloft: strahds possession.

Reply 2 of 7, by mburress

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(obviously talking to meself at this point)
OK... i managed to manually install the game by copying files and fortunately directory structure was the same between cd and install.
Heres what i found out.
1) my cycles were set WAY TOO HIGH. Although fine for the simple games id tried before, the graphics and sound of this game required much more complex emulation and cpu usage. For this game 5400 seemed to work best but that was still too high - i occasionally had 1/4 inch plateus of 100% cpu usage in task manager.

2) at 5400 cycles normal movement was playable but not smooth combat was choppy but withstandable and i couldnt use the shopkeeper.

3)i believe if someone out there had one of those 3ghz compus this game would probably be completely playable

4) when installing this game the data.a00 is an .arj file that should be decompressed into the thunder directory, mscdex must be used to play game with all sound. Game is started by typing "main" in thunder directory

Reply 3 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

hi
i am trying to run thunderscape, an old RPG from SSI, and i am unable to get the game to load. i'm using the free copy distributed by Home Of The Underdogs, and i'm running it on a 2ghz athlon XP, with 1gb ram and XP home. i have the latest version of dosbox and the D-Fend front end thingy. the game is a verion with a no-cd patch applied.
thunderscape won't run at all in windows.

the game (or dosbox) crashes after displaying
"line=0
error number=0
error status=0
no cd
module = ".
if i mount a cd drive dosbox or the game crashes after displaying
"version 1.10a
Init heap of 7000000"
i'm not sure if the problem is with dosbox or the game, but the game seems more likely. this has me completly confused, so does anyone know what causes this or even have a vague idea what causes it?
i did a search on this forum, the d-fend front end and google but i can't find anything.
Thanks

Reply 4 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

from the beginning...

unpack the tscape zip file
inside are
thunder.arj
thunder.a01-a09 (parts of the .arj)
thsca11.exe

unpack the thunder.arj
inside the unpacked thunder directory is another thunder directory
copy all the files from this directory into the root thunder.
unpack thsca11.exe
its a patch
copy the main.exe into the thunder directory

run setsound in the dosbox
run main

works for me.