VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi. I installed 2.10 on a Windows 2000 machine without reading the release notes. What do I need to do to fix the blue screens? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Never mind, I went ahead and fixed the problem. For anyone who needs to know how, I'll summarize my steps:

First, you need a copy of your Windows 2000 CD. Put it in your CD-ROM drive and use it to boot into Windows 2000 setup. When you're asked if you want to install Windows 2000 or repair an existing installation, choose Repair. Then it should ask you if you want to use the recovery console or the emergency repair thing. Choose the recovery console. At this point, you'll be logged into your system with a glorified DOS prompt. Go into your CD (D: probably), and locate atl.dl_ and msvcrt.dll. Copy msvcrt.dll into your C:\WINNT\system32 directory, overwriting the incompatible version installed by this software. atl.dll is a bit trickier, as it's in a compressed format. You _should_ be able to extract it by using the recovery console's EXPAND command (help expand), but I had trouble getting it to work. If you have trouble too, find a friend with Windows 2000, get him to send you his atl.dll (from c:\WINNT\system32). You can then put it on a floppy disk and access it from the recovery console. Either way, once you have an expanded atl.dll, replace the incompatible version in c:\WINNT\system32 just like you did with msvcrt.dll. Then type 'exit' and let your system boot normally. It should work fine.

Note: When I had both files ready to copy, I checked the file sizes. It was interesting to note that while msvcrt.dll was notably different, atl.dll was the same. I got those two filenames from another post on this forum, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on there, but replacing both files worked for me, and I'm not about to reinstall the software just to see if one can get away with just replacing msvcrt.dll.

Attachments

• Filename
    win2kdlls.zip
    File size
    173.21 KiB
    Downloads
    433 downloads
    File comment
    I went ahead and put both DLLs in this zip file, for anyone who needs them.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did I mention M$ deserves to be nuked for making it possible for msvcrt or atl.dll to blue-screen a machine? For God's sake, COM in the kernel? Brrrr...

Reply 4 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are being overwritten with relatively recent versions from M$ themselves, too. I say: Microsoft deserves to be nuked, period! Then we wouldn't have all these problems. No Windows, no computers, no problem! 😜

Deriously, can you pls. check the "good" version of the DLL's (that don't bluescreen the system), so we can compare against the ones that are delivered with VDMSound? The version appears in the file's properties page.

V.

Reply 5 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Motherboard - ?
AMD 1GhZ
Radeon 7500 (64MB)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! (Value)
Windows 2000 Pro - Latest Updates and Service Packs
Space Quest 1 VGA
BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
Sound mode used - ?
Video mode - ?
VDMSound 2.1.0

When I installed 2.10, I did not see this step pop up... "When it gets to the part about rebooting....DO IT. It doesn't have to happen at that moment, but it does have to happen before you attempt to use VDMSound. Do NOT skip this step." (Taken from the Beginner's guide to VDMSound v2.10)

I didn't read the readme's or anything... I know, I know... shame... shame... 🙄 Anyways, I ended up with the Blue Screen of Death on my Win2k system. I am currently at work so I cannot give you more system info at this time but I will later if you require more than above. The Blue Screen is fixed now.

What I want to know is, did skipping this step cause the Blue Screen or was it something else? As I mentioned, the reboot screen did not come up. This thread seems to have a quick fix... I spent about 3 hours last night updating all my software after a restore. That'll teach me to read more!!!

After reading through this thread, if I'm required to copy the files (msvcrt.ddd and atl.dll) to save my system again, will that cause VMD to not function properly? I will be following the steps from the Beginner's guide to VDMSound v2.10 so hopefully there is no blue screen.