VOGONS

Common searches

Ports

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I found this tread called Palm OS. The guy had a good point, someone should port DOSBOX to Palm OS. I mean, the new palms go fast, like 200MHz. Some even have keyboards, like the NX Clies. It would be great to port DOSBOX to Palm OS. Too bad that will never happen.

-Alex

Reply 1 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://mamaich.kasone.com/
http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16751
http://www.pdarcade.com/modules.php?name=News … rticle&sid=2130
And 200 mhz isn't fast when it comes to full pc emulation

But a pda version of dosbox allready exists.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBOX needs:
- reasonably quick processor (hundreds of Mhz)
- filesystem
- SDL port
- at least 32 MB of RAM (64 would be better) - for the program itself (I do not talk about games)
- C++ compiler for the target platform
If you have this, you can try porting. On pocket computers there is problem with screen/keyboard, but it can be handled (people did it for Pocket PC).

200 Mhz procersor - I guess you could run PC XT games. Another PALM problem is that it does not have standard processor (different types - different processor - so different binary versions) - but it can be handled.
PALM pays here for what its users normally sees as advantage - that it works ok on weaker hardware. But here you need raw power. DOSBOX is one of the few applications which would benefit from 10 Ghz processors.

But back to PALM. If you really want to see PALM port then go to some site with PALM programmers and try to persuade them to work on it. When you tell here that it would be nice to have PALM version, it will have probably zero effect (people here are either not programmers at all, or PC programmers).
People who did POCKET PC version did it on their own, we did not even know about them.

This does not mean that the port cannot start here. If somebody SERIOUSLY starts working on PALM port, i will be only happy to "sticky" him thread in DOSBOX Development. But IMHO there is no point in just coming here to tell how nice it would be to have PALM/Dreamcast/Gameboy Advance etc. port. Just do it if you want to have it done.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 11, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

200 MHz is not too slow... I set up DOSBox on my P233MHz (Just for fun - DOS games work there nicely on their own) configuring it to fit my needs (reducing emulated cycles to 700, setting frameskip to 3), then started Zaxxon. I could not play it because it was TOO FAST!!! 😁

Left this dictatoric junk. No. IV.

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Puhlease, a game release back in 1984 would have no trouble running in DosBox @ 200mhz. Now try any game that used CWSDPMI/Custom Extender/DOS4GW and tell us how 200mhz isn't too slow using present DosBox coding techniques.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course i know that it would certainly die for example with WarCraft II or Megarace, i just mentioned that there are several certainly old pieces what work fine.

Left this dictatoric junk. No. IV.

Reply 9 of 11, by alegra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news for all Palm OS users here! Now there *is* a port of DosBox:

http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2006/09/23/a-t … facts-and-pics/

There is no download link, and the author didn't post a comment yet (probably he doesn't want to publish much yet) but I'm sure there will be a download version soon.

(sorry if you aren't interested in this)

P.S. I saw some persons here who linked to the following page:
http://pages.total.net/~hkonstas/vfsdos.html
This is *not* a DOS emulator. Lets say, it's a user interface for Palm OS that is controlled by commands and reacts like DOS. But it only accepts a few comments (dir, del, ..) and executes standard Palm apps and *no* x86 DOS apps.

EDIT: Some people even said that Palms are too slow and haven't enough memory. Maybe this had been right 5 years ago. But 2002 the first ARM processor (144 MHz) based device came out (Tungsten T), and memory cards are supported much longer (1999??). DosBox won't be fast on Palms (even not on my 400 MHz XScale), but it will work.

Reply 10 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for reviving a year old thread......

Read an interview with AMD today that said x86 in Palm\PDA devices isn't too far off. I'm guessing 2+ years minimum.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 11, by alegra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I'm already looking forward to cool my Palm because of its x86 😁

EDIT: Perhaps Palms even became bigger then. But there are already such devices. Called computers 😁

Do you think I should have created another thread? Or to reply to another, newer one...? There were some others about PalmOS, but this thread has more answers than the most others.