VOGONS

First post, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.. I'm trying to play Akalabeth (the first Ultima) under 0.61, but the game crashes right after I input the random number used for generating a character.

I also get a warning message as soon as I run the game in the DOSBox prompt: Warning, Cannot open swap file c:\cwsdpmi.swp 😕

Any ideas? Thanks..

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Strange.... It looks like CWSDPMI DPMI server has problems... Is mounted C:\ writable? Is not there a read-only file with this name?
CWSDPMI works ok in DOSBOX.
If the above mentioned does not help, you can try another version of CWSDPMI or to switch off creation of CWSDPMI swap file (see CWSDPMI documentation).

BTW: you are not playing the original Akalabeth, but some later remake. Original Akalabeth was written before the time of DPMI and it is a very small EXE file (when compiled - original was written in Basic).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 6, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A read-only file with what name? I'm not sure what you're asking. The file cwsdpmi.swp doesn't exist anywhere on my computer, I did a search.

Could you tell me more about CWSDPMI? It came with my Akalabeth from the Ultima Collection game, I don't see any doc..

So how do I run protected mode games and avoid this crash? Help please? Thanks 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
HeX wrote:

A read-only file with what name? I'm not sure what you're asking. The file cwsdpmi.swp doesn't exist anywhere on my computer, I did a search.

If it does not exist it is ok. Is your mounted C:¨writable? I hope you did not mount a CD ROM as C: !
CWSDPMI is a freely available DPMI server. It probably came bundled with you game, but you can exchange it with another version. When you download it, there will be a documentation as well (it was left out from the package with game). Just search internet for CWSDPMI and you will find ...

HeX wrote:

So how do I run protected mode games and avoid this crash? Help please? Thanks 😀

Protected mode games do run in DOSBOX. The fact that one game does not run in DOSBOX does not mean that no protected mode games run. try the things mentioned above.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a specific DOSBox command to make C writable or what? I can write into my C drive just fine. Maybe I misunderstood.

I looked around google and found a list of errors related to CWSDPMI, along with my error message and a possible reason:

["Warning: cannot open swap file c:\cwsdpmi.swp"

Maybe you are out of file handles, or the swap file name is incorrectly specified in the image (change the name with cwsparam).]

I searched all my drives, there is no SWP file anywhere. (other than the one used by Win98, I got dual boot)

I downloaded CWSDPMI version 5 (latest I guess), along with it's doc and other files. I have a bit of a problem though. I can't seem to get rid of the CWSDPMI file once it gets on my computer! No matter where I unzip the archive, the file can't be deleted. So I can't even overwrite the older version that came with Ultima Collection. Safe Mode didn't work either. Says it's being used by another source?? Sorry :p

Let's worry about why the game doesn't work first before trying to see why I can't delete that silly file through Win2K.. I can do it through Win98 though.

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is no need to use any speciall command to make a disc writable. I just meant that perhaps you do not have rights to write there or you mounted a CD ROM as C: etc...
I have no idea why you cannot delete the file... It has nothing to do with DOSBOX, possibly some antivirus or Windows shell extension is blocking it ...

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok no problem, I can always delete it through Win98.. but the main issue here:

["Warning: cannot open swap file c:\cwsdpmi.swp"

Maybe you are out of file handles, or the swap file name is incorrectly specified in the image (change the name with cwsparam).]

What does that mean?? It's from the CWSDPMI doc file

Do you have Akalabeth? Can you actually play it? Mine only runs until I choose to generate a character..