VOGONS

First post, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the title implies, I have a dumb question about BIOS extensions. I know that some can bring new functionality to some PCs, but I was wondering what the limits of this are? For example, I have a PC with a floppy controller that supports double density drives. I do have an ISA card with a floppy controller that supports high density, but because the FDC cannot be disabled on this PC, installing the card doesn't work due to that conflict. Here is where my question comes in: is it possible to add support for HD drives through a BIOS extension, like if I used one of my ISA NICs and flash something? Or is this 100% totally on the FDC and if it doesn't support it, it just doesn't support it?

Just wanted to run it past you guys and hear from people far smarter than myself. 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The hardware must support it first, then the software can do anything. Since the controller doesn't, no amount of software stuff will help. You could possibly identify the FDC on the computer and incapacitate it, i.e remove it completely if it is in a socket or sever its !CE line effectively making it invisible. Then you can add a new controller via ISA slot and you will probably need some software solution such as an option ROM to get high density support going.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thallanor wrote:

Here is where my question comes in: is it possible to add support for HD drives through a BIOS extension:)

Short answer: Yes, if the hardware supports High Density drives.
Long answer: There's 2m-xbios.exe and 2m-abios.exe. But these are replacement BIOS routines for floppy drives under DOS.
I heard some of the Toshiba people here successfuly combined one of them into an ROM chip along with XTIDE Univeral BIOS..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does your controller support being junpered as a secondary controller? This might do the trick. Or try to use driver.sys to set the drive parameters in DOS. I have a Compaq Deskpro converted to a diskette conversion station featuring 3 floppy drives, by using a secondary controller and driver.sys.
eisapc