VOGONS

First post, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using the advice gained from this thread: Is This Idea Viable? I'm currently assembling an overpowered WIN98SE build
Right now, I have a 120 GB SSD that is detected fine by the BIOS, connected via SATA. I also have an IDE DVD drive, which powers on and opens when the button is pressed. However, after some time, it will not open. Further, it's not detected by the BIOS. I keep getting a "DIsk Boot Error. Insert System Disk and Press Enter" message
I have tried to alter the boot order in the BIOS, but I keep getting the same error message
To complicate things a bit more, in the thread liked above, the one who recommended the MB I'm using (a GA-VM900M) also says that the on-board sound doesn't work with WIN98SE. So, that's a secondary concern. I have a couple of spare sound cards I can use, so it's not as big a deal

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you verify theres nothing wrong with the IDE CD drive by plugging it into another rig? Can you verify that the ribbon cable you used to connect the CD drive isn't bad by using another ribbon cable. Can you verify that the 2nd ribbon cable you tried is inserted correctly and you have PIN 1 orientated correctly on both ends. Verify that If this is the only Drive on the rbbon cable that it has a jumper that is Master. These are all things I would test before I suspect there is something else wrong.

Reply 2 of 5, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you already installed Windows 98? or are you in the process of booting off the Windows 98 CD in order to install it? If you're trying to boot off the Windows 98 CD, make sure it's a bootable one (some Windows 98 CD's aren't bootable).

Reply 3 of 5, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've switched out to a SATA DVD drive, and it's being seen and works. I had previously burned an OEM WIN98SE CD and used it to install on my first retro rig. Now, I'm getting "NO compatible cd drive drivers found" (or something like that) and an A: prompt.
The disk itself has some deep scratches on it when I looked

Reply 4 of 5, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gazirra wrote:

Now, I'm getting "NO compatible cd drive drivers found" (or something like that) and an A: prompt.

That's probably because it's a SATA DVD drive and the Windows 98 CD has no SATA CD-ROM drivers.
Do you have another CD or DVD drive that uses IDE?

Reply 5 of 5, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I had a hypothesis and tested it. It looks like it needed to be either IDE or SATA, not both. Additionally, I swapped out the DVD drive for one I know that works, and it's now being formatted properly