VOGONS

First post, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to be doing this wrong as this commonly happens to me... I had an Audigy 2 ZS audio card installed, and wanted to switch over to a SB Live! card instead (as this card is period correct for my build). I pulled the Audigy card, installed SB Live card, and rebooted the computer. Upon boot-up it prompts me it found new hardware (for the SB Live) which I cancelled out of. Uninstalled the Audigy drivers (there's no uninstaller but there's a hidden program to do so - I ran it twice - once for VXD, other for WMD? drivers as I don't know which I was using - they were the standard ones), rebooted, cancelled out of the 'found new hardware' prompts again, installed the SB Live! software, and on turning the computer off, got this VXD error:

Mh4V0KCl.jpg

...and get the same blue screen when I boot back up as well (which pressing any key does let Windows 98 boot-up properly).

I'm currently using Acronis to restore a backup back to the HDD so I can try again... (as normally I would reinstall windows as I've NEVER been able to get rid of VXD errors, ever) but how should I do this differently?

Do I uninstall drivers while the old/original card was installed? Then pull it? Pull the old card, bootup Windows and uninstall, shutdown, install new card, then follow the 'found new hardware' prompts? Or ignore those and run the install CD for SB Live?

SIDENOTE: which actual programs do I need to install for SB Live through the installation CD? There seems to be 20+ programs it tries to install and I don't know which I need. I'll never use any of it's functionality beyond having it play sound/music for Windows-based games (DOS games go through the ESS ES1869 ISA sound card).

Last edited by Dochartaigh on 2020-07-03, 00:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally, I go into into the device manager, remove the sound card then uninstall any drivers (and make absolutely sure theyre gone) before I plop in the replacement.

Honestly, iv found Windows 98 isn't a fan of too much hardware swapping in general. It's usually easier sometimes just to nuke it all and do a fresh install if BSODs and new drivers are causing you too much grief.

As for SB Live programs. If it's anything like the installation CD for the Audigy 2. You can safely skip anything that doesn't have to do with configuring sound or midi. (Eg: Wavecenter, DVD player, all that jank).

Reply 2 of 2, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-21, 03:52:

Personally, I go into into the device manager, remove the sound card then uninstall any drivers (and make absolutely sure theyre gone) before I plop in the replacement.

So leave the old card plugged in while I do the uninstall?

This is the problem actually – I don't know which to delete in device manager. There's the obvious ones under sound, but there's also controllers for a joystick, which (I'll double check) might now be labeled and easy to find, and the ISA ESS card has these as well.

Also no proper uninstall program... and the .EXE I found I think only uninstalls the VXD or WMA? drivers... pretty positive the 20 other things it installed are still there and don't know how to make sure EVERYTHING is gone.

...never easy in Windows 98 for sure (and this is why I backed up the entire HDD before I switched cards!).